katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm I guess there could possibly be another Avengers movie that could make $2 billion WW but it would need to be something that could plausibly get not-hardcore fans in.

Robert Downey Jr.

Chris Evans 

Scarlett Johansson 

Mark Ruffalo 

Jeremy Renner

Samuel L. Jackson

Anthony Mackie

Tom Holland

Ryan Reynolds

Elizabeth Olsen

Don Cheadle

Benedict Cumberbatch

Paul Bettany 

Brie Larson 

Simu Liu

Letitia Wright

Iman Vellani

Chris Pratt

Zoe Saldaña

Teyonah Parris

Charlize Theron

Charlie Cox

Vincent D’Onofrio

Vin Diesel

Bradley Cooper
Hugh Jackman

Tobey Maguire

Andrew Garfield

Halle Berry

Ben Affleck 

Jennifer Garner 

And I’m likely missing half of Hollywood here. It’s happening. Avengers is not stopping being one of the blockbusters in town due to wishful thinking, I’m not sure if it makes the current dates, but it’s coming for all the money.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

How does one of the most aggressive users on here never gets any points

Since users can't see what warnings others have gotten or how many points they have I am not sure how you came to this conclusion? But rest assured where appropriate, actions are taken.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I like that + next to 13m for OP. Looks like a 45m weekend, but door slightly open for 50m. Maybe it can sneak past with an epic Sunday hold. "Amateurs seek the sun. Get eaten. Power stays in the shadows"

$50M is dead. Needs really strong numbers on Saturday & Sunday to reach $45M. 

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

No Stark or Rogers or Natasha. Had a franchise that ended perfectly with endgame. The emotional investment required to get 2 billion dollars in my opinion isn't going to happen.

And this brings me to the point of what will make people like you and dudalb mad: Tony Stark and likely Natasha are coming back for this. Cap is not dead so it’s easy to justify his return, but the controversial part is that yeah, I’m 100% sure that RDJ is returning for this. Comic book shit sure, it will cheapen Endgame sure, but it’s happening, either in Kang Dynasty but definitely Secret Wars. There is just an in universe reason for that to happen that it’s virtually impossible for this not to happen. You will be mad, you will feel that it cheapens his death, but trust me, he isn’t sticking around. Cap is easy to bring him back, sure, but I feel like the next two Avengers films are the true RDJ last MCU’s hurrah.

Those that read Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars and remember Reed Richards role on that saga would know what I’m talking about. That’s Stark role on all of this, and it’s possible exactly because of the way he died. The deleted scene with Stark and his kid kinda hints that this was always part of their plan since Endgame. People will be mad, there will be controversy, but it’s happening.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

28M Friday for Barbie according to Charlie

Oh better. Maybe Oppy can make up more ground on Sat/Sun with the runtime, but hard to complain in either case.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, baumer said:

Im honestly curious what the problem is with this post. I don't understand what you're upset about.

More importantly why do you have to come across so harshly? You were never like this as a poster. Why can't you be a bit nicer?

Fail Car Crash GIF by Bernardson

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

And I’m likely missing half of Hollywood here. It’s happening. Avengers is not stopping being one of the blockbusters in town due to wishful thinking, I’m not sure if it makes the current dates, but it’s coming for all the money.

what the fuck are you talking about

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$50M is dead. Needs really strong numbers on Saturday & Sunday to reach $45M. 

Unlikely, but mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger. Let's say it climbs to 14m. Then need 18.5m Sat and 17.5m Sunday. "I can perform this miracle!"

• Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Why are people on this thread acting like Avengers isn't up there with Avatar in terms of money printing IPs? Sure, the franchise will never reach the peaks of Endgame, but brushing off $2B as almost impossible is weird to me. 

Avatar won’t be printing money after it gets its big Endgame type finale movie though.

1 minute ago, Jiffy said:

Oh better. Maybe Oppy can make up more ground on Sat/Sun with the runtime, but hard to complain in either case.

The industry tracking numbers  of $40-50M for opening weekend help put everything in perspective. It’s going to make over $40M in the second weekend after $128M in 7 days. 😎🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

People seem to forget they have other revenue streams aside from films, the cruise lines are doing so well, they're commissioning more ships as well as the parks which generate lots as well.

Honestly, they've been through worse.

The parks are doing terribly.  There's articles everywhere citing why they are so empty.  

seeing the sony news just makes me feel sad about Mission Impossible 7

there are pretty much no blockbusters between now and November and more mid-sized movies might move; had MI7 released this weekend for example, it might have been able to go on a mini-tgm run

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I will say it is funny how the multiverse has made everything happening in the MCU basically meaningless.

The films are finally running into the same issues the comics have where so many characters die and then get revived, and they have multiple timelines and realities, and versions of characters, and alternate stories, etc. Etc. until to the average person the story has become essentially meaningless and the characters and plots no longer matter.

I do understand that that's how comic books have always been and to some that's even maybe part of their style, but unfortunately it's also what turns off the general audiences.

For a long time I hoped the film's would stay away from going down that road and emulate comic books too hard, but unfortunately we've gotten there

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

I will say it is funny how the multiverse has made everything happening in the MCU basically meaningless.

Here is the thing, what will bring back Tony Stark isn’t the multiverse. It’s the infinity stones. It’s ironic that people think the multiverse is crazy but think a mcguffin like the infinity stones is fine. The stones brought back half of civilization back. Thanos had a vision where he saw Gamora as a child once he snapped in Infinity War. Stark had a vision where he saw Morgan as an adult and he says that he is sorry for missing her life. 

These visions, these ‘after life places’ that both Thanos and Stark experienced are deeply linked to how Stark returns. It’s not really the multiverse like in No Way Home. The multiverse aspect could be used to justify some of that, sure. But Stark, OG Gamora and Natasha are both dead and elsewhere at same time. In comics, the infinity stones are capable of hold entire pocket universes within them. That’s why I’m so confident that for Secret Wars, Stark is returning.

• Like 1