katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

24 minutes ago, baumer said:

I couldn't get into Barbenheimer so Im here to watch haunted mansion....and I just saw the trailer for Gran Turismo. I think it looks pretty damn awesome.  It also helps that sheriff Jim Hopper is in it. 

This is the start of Blomkamp taking over as he always should have

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I reject the idea that Captain Marvel was only as big as it was because of Endgame. Did it get a boost? Sure! But you don’t get to 1 billion solely off of hype related to another movie. People clearly reacted well to the film. 

You clearly weren't in the midst of the Endgame hype train, basically, every MCU project in its wake was bound to get a massive lift, in fact I remember when Captain Marvel literally held flat for 3 weekends straight leading up to Endgame because of everyone wanting to go see it and anticipation for it's release. In fact people were trying to catch up on every MCU film at that time regardless to whether or not they were strictly important to the plot line or not. It was definitely a different era as strange as it sounds only a few years later.

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

But you don’t get to 1 billion solely off of hype related to another movie.

I don't know, I think you do when the hyped movie makes nearly 3 billion and the only way to watch Captain Marvel was in theaters before Endgame.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I guess I'm very curious what you think the previews and OW would be so that it can attain $175m with good wom?

I don’t see an OW much higher than 60. The buzz isn’t there at all for this movie and the days of MCU big OWs because MCU are in the past. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 3

The Hunger games prequel can be very strong in the first weekend, even pushing It to 80-90M but then i don't see It, even if It's a well made movie, becaming something interesting for people outside Its core target. If something is gonna be the fanbase female driven movie someone thought Barbie would have been it's that. Can make like 70M OW and then 160-170 Total. 

• Like 1

I have never met someone anecdotally who raved about CM. But practically everyone I know who sees movies saw it. The EG boost was absurd. EG hype was something we will never seen again more than likely, the damn thing made 350m+ in one weekend. it’s just insane. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t see an OW much higher than 60. The buzz isn’t there at all for this movie and the days of MCU big OWs because MCU are in the past. 

tbf the MCU has not fallen completely off a cliff. Quantumania may have had horrible legs and reception, but it did also demonstrate that there is still a consistent base of MCU fans that have continued to stick by the brand despite its recent missteps, thanks in large part to the goodwill from the Infinity Saga, which while greatly diminished, has not been entirely wiped out, with its OW being clear proof of that. Combined with the fact that the MCU's output still remains at the very least mixed and not downright bad, and the fact that there remains few consistent competitors in the superhero genre, means that I'd expect the Marvels, and the MCU as a whole to continue limping on with consistently high OWs (prob 80m+ for the Marvels), but with legs entirely dependent on WOM 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s bullshit said MCU is past,at least wait if Avengers V doing less than $1B ,then you can said that,now?Don’t forgot GOTG3 still 2nd highest grossing film of the year

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

The Hunger games prequel can be very strong in the first weekend, even pushing It to 80-90M but then i don't see It, even if It's a well made movie, becaming something interesting for people outside Its core target. If something is gonna be the fanbase female driven movie someone thought Barbie would have been it's that. Can make like 70M OW and then 160-170 Total. 

I just think Hunger Games is a lot more accessible than people are thinking, if the first HP prequel which were way less Hogwarts oriented can perform well enough for a sequel, I don't see why Hunger Games prequels which can be seen as a stand alone would suffer. And out of CM/Dune 2/HG, it relies the least on it's stars since it doesn't have any.

Just now, Anon said:

I just think Hunger Games is a lot more accessible than people are thinking, if the first HP prequel which were way less Hogwarts oriented can perform well enough for a sequel, I don't see why Hunger Games prequels which can be seen as a stand alone would suffer. And out of CM/Dune 2/HG, it relies the least on it's stars since it doesn't have any.

Well Harry Potter ended on a high note while Hunger Games ended on a limp

3 hours ago, Mau said:

Ok but Mario, is the most popular video game character, and sing 2 is a sequel to a popular film vs. two original films, one set in Colombia and Elemental is a film with a weird concept. 

If universal’s migration is a huge success, then Disney animation and pixar really have a brand problem

MIGRATION will greatly benefit from the holidays, especially now that one big title (GHOSTBUSTERS sequel) has moved. If other holiday movies follow suit, it will benefit more.

• Like 1

People have high standard for MCU,let’s comps with Harry Potter,there’s no doubt that 00-10s is Worldwide Harry Potter era ,and the HP B.O

Deathly Hallows 2>Philosopher’s stone >Deathly Hallows 1>Order of Phoenix>Half Blood Prince>Goblet of Fire>Chambers of secrets>Prisoner of Azkaban 

Harry Potter keep decline till Goblet of Fire,and except Final one,no HP film gross bigger than First one,if you are a 00-10s box office follower,will you say Harry Potter’s era pass?

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1