katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

For a historical perspective, let's be honest that bomb did not need to be dropped. 

Need isn't the correct term I don't think. Even Oppenheimer didn't know how to feel about the bomb. He felt he had blood on his hands but also how much more blood would have been spilt had he not developed the bomb that was used to stop the war. Not to mention Japan's socioeconomic health being improved after the war into what it is today. It's a complicated topic that can't really be diluded to a few words or statements on what should have happened.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

150 marketing budget for Barbie would be insane, I don’t really get it when social media was so much of it. 

Well there was a ton of it. Just the toys alone and crossover promotions. Clothing. Food. Restaurants. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/29/business/mattel-barbie-boom-retailers-restaurants/index.html

The ancillaries however will easily pay for the marketing budget many times over. 

5 hours ago, CJohn said:

Did anyone else watch Cobweb here? Like, the final 15-20 minutes had me in the edge of my seat like nothing else in a long time (I was alone in the theater and I had to turn the light on of my phone for a few seconds because of how scared and nervous I was), but the abrupt ending left a soar taste in my mouth. I wanted to know if I was the only one.

Edit: tagging @Krissykins and @baumer because you guys usually watch most horror releaaes.

That hasn't been released here yet. And I've actually never even heard of it. So now you've got me very curious as to what this film is and why it made you so nervous.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

150 marketing budget for Barbie would be insane, I don’t really get it when social media was so much of it. 

$150m is making perfect sense when you realised the marketing campaign is so much more than just social media trend. Robbie and Gosling went on world tour to so so many cities around the world. And the barbie doll box at the cinema around the world, countless tv spot. 

17 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Well there was a ton of it. Just the toys alone and crossover promotions. Clothing. Food. Restaurants. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/29/business/mattel-barbie-boom-retailers-restaurants/index.html

The ancillaries however will easily pay for the marketing budget many times over. 

Barbie had ONE HUNDRED brand deals?! And I thought the James Bond movies overdid it with the marketing/product placement...

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The budget all went into those life-sized Barbie boxes at every theater 🙃 Considering how ridiculous the lines were for just that during opening week, I'd say money well spent lol 

12 hours ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

He's correct. Ali transcended celebrity in the 60's and 70's. Michael Jackson would be a relatively close 2nd. 

Maybe in America and Europe but definitely not world wide. Micheal Jackson is on another level. People in rural villages know who Micheal Jackson is but they don't know and haven't even heard of Muhammad Ali . I got to know about MJ when I was 8-9 years old and Ali only in recent years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chaz said:

If you want to talk 20th century…the conversation begins and ends with Elvis Presley. The most popular secular figure of the 20th century, bar none.

Elvis is hardly popular if you exclude America or Europe. He won't be in top 10 worldwide 

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

Elvis is hardly popular if you exclude America or Europe. He won't be in top 10 worldwide 

even in Europe definitely come after The Beatles and maybe Michael Jackson and Madonna too 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hasanahmad said:

Remember this reader poll which now proves user polls are useless and anticipation of movies is useless when it comes to on the ground realities 

2023SummerAnticipated.jpg

How is that poll useless though? People only voted for movies which they think they would like to see most. That poll doesn't co relate with box office anyhow because that poll is limited to only few audience members.

4 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Why Japan people protest by using English?This is strange to me

Post is in English no? Also they are protesting in English probably because it's Hollywood movie. 

4 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

It's nice to know Japan is filled with annoying extremely online dweebs too

Be sensible. It's a sensitive issue for them. People are still suffering till this date. If this had happened in your country even you wouldn't find it funny

• Like 1

well these t-shirts with barbie silhouette near to the "silhouette" of the atomic bomb exploding are really weird (not they are official merchandising too).

I don't think it's being too much whiny. I can imagine american reactions for Pikatchu sat above the twin towers on fire.

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

Did anyone else watch Cobweb here? Like, the final 15-20 minutes had me in the edge of my seat like nothing else in a long time (I was alone in the theater and I had to turn the light on of my phone for a few seconds because of how scared and nervous I was), but the abrupt ending left a soar taste in my mouth. I wanted to know if I was the only one.

Edit: tagging @Krissykins and @baumer because you guys usually watch most horror releaaes.

Hey! It’s not out here yet unfortunately, got the trailer before Talk To Me, think it’s coming in September. Glad you mostly enjoyed it though. 

• Like 1