katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

AMC execs must be kicking themselves by locking HM into most of their Dolby showings this weekend when they are barely reaching 60% capacity in many cities while the 10pm and later Barbie showings in Dolby are selling more tickets and Oppenheimer is reaching 95%+ capacity is almost all of its IMAX showings.

• Like 3

There’s saying that Nick Saban has peaked and will never win another national title. (Marvels will drop substantially.)

Then there’s saying that Alabama is terrible and will not make a bowl game. (Marvels will be maybe near 60 OW and 175 dom even with good reviews?)

A 60%+ domestic drop before considering inflation. That’s possible, but not sure there are that many movies, especially MCU movies, that have done that. 
Keep in mind that AM3 stayed somewhat flat in raw dollars from AM2 with terrible reviews. 
All the negative thoughts are connected to reality, but is a decent product really going well below AM3?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I don't think I've ranked all the MCU films in a while... have we reached 30 yet lol? That's starting to become a pretty long list XD

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. Iron Man

5. The Avengers

• Like 2

I never understand why sequels ever get made with some of these awful names 

Suicide squad and then... The suicide squad? What is the purpose of that name... who could have possibly had any reason to name it that 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I don't think I've ranked all the MCU films in a while... have we reached 30 yet lol? That's starting to become a pretty long list XD

I'm going to run a Pixar list countdown once they get to 30.

Spoiler

though it might be kind of redundant if the Disney list is also this year.

4 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I never understand why sequels ever get made with some of these awful names 

Suicide squad and then... The suicide squad? What is the purpose of that name... who could have possibly had any reason to name it that 

Names do not matter that much if people are hyoe for the sequell, DCU films have underperformed, the flash was an example, the sequell ti Batman begins is not called Batman 2, but The Dark Knight. 

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Kamala is the best new MCU character since T’Challa, so I don’t even want Marvels to fail or anything. But it’s nearly inevitable barring a mini miracle for it. 

Moon Knight

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LonePirate said:

At the start of the summer, those numbers for the Saturday of opening weekend, heck maybe even the entire opening weekend, would have led to champagne bottles being popped. For those to be the Saturday numbers from the second weekend is now simply obscene. 

Someone is going to earn an MBA by writing a paper on these films' marketing and promotion campaigns coupled with the Barbenheimer event. 

The conclusion from that paper is that you can’t engineer a meme event. It has to just happen, organically. Studios just have to hope and pray the Minions & Barbenheimer movements happen again.

Imagine the studios trying to manufacture a Creator/Saw X or Aquaman/Migration meme. Lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Names do not matter that much if people are hyoe for the sequell, DCU films have underperformed, the flash was an example, the sequell ti Batman begins is not called Batman 2, but The Dark Knight. 

Names only don’t matter that much if it’s a movie with huge hype. Even then, I’d say we’ve had very few hugely hyped movies with actual bad names. TDK was brilliant as a name, especially since BB was not some phenomenon that had massive awareness. 

I’m not on the Marvel train as I used to be, but it’s fascinating how that’s the topic ATM in this thread when otherwise the real ATM stories are Barbenheimer take 2, MI7 underperforming*, a new no1cares Disney release, SOF, etc.

*=Let’s be honest.

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

I’m not on the Marvel train as I used to be, but it’s fascinating how that’s the topic ATM in this thread when otherwise the real ATM stories are Barbenheimer take 2, MI7 underperforming*, a new no1cares Disney release, SOF, etc.

*=Let’s be honest.

Kind of appropriate though since this was The Marvels original release spot. It would have been so destroyed, to say it was smart to move is the understatement of the year. 

9 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, Kamala is the best new MCU character since T’Challa, so I don’t even want Marvels to fail or anything. But it’s nearly inevitable barring a mini miracle for it. 

Maybe it’s nearly inevitable because y’all are basically reaching Wiccan coven on a solstice before a planetary convergent level of manifesting here. 

🤷‍♀️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2