katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

I feel like musician biopics are falling out of fashion at the moment. Especially when we've already burned through the big ones to the point where we're already turning to folks whose downfalls are recent enough to have overlapped with the rise of the reality TV/social media era we now live in (and thus have plenty of existing, widely-circulated footage of their darker years leading up to their sadly unsurprising early deaths out there) like Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse.

Corporate biopics like Air, BlackBerry, Flamin' Hot, Tetris, the Beanie Baby movie, etc. are where it's at now.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like musician biopics are falling out of fashion at the moment. Especially when we've already burned through the big ones to the point where we're already turning to folks whose downfalls are recent enough to have overlapped with the rise of the reality TV/social media era we now live in (and thus have plenty of existing, widely-circulated footage of their darker years leading up to their sadly unsurprising early deaths out there) like Whitney Houston and Amy Winehouse.

Corporate biopics like Air, BlackBerry, Flamin' Hot, Tetris, the Beanie Baby movie, etc. are where it's at now.

The Bee Gees biopic could buck the trend because it's not only about musicians but a family of musicians and the fact they had two comebacks.

Edited by Jonwo

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I can see MJ movie doing a billion.

16 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

No doubt MJ is the biggest celebrity in the world and is household name everywhere,but beating Queen need a strong WOM,is not depend on fame 

I had a discussion about this with a colleague years ago. He was adamant the biggest celebrity of all was Muhammad Ali

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Actually just what is Barbie?

The scale is not a $300m budget VFX/action-packed franchise like Avengers, SW or JW

The humour and plot doesn't play like typical PG rated family-friendly tentpole like Mario or Minion.

Neither the direction (it is not a romantic comedy) or cast-choice indicate this as a new young-adult franchise like Hunger Games or Twilight. 

I would say this is the "weirdest" $500m hit ever. The movie overall feel like a remix of Marry Poppin, The ladies man and Everything everywhere at all once. 

As my daughter described it: Free Guy, but with Barbie dolls (and a lot of feminism) 

It’s pure escapism entertainment, based on well known IP, and yes with deeper social commentary, but it’s mostly just “fun”, both in content and the social aspect (memeing, dress up, etc) outside of the film itself. Could have told a similar story as more of straight dramedy, and wouldn’t have seen nearly the same audience reception 

1 minute ago, M37 said:

As my daughter described it: Free Guy, but with Barbie dolls (and a lot of feminism) 

It’s pure escapism entertainment, based on well known IP, and yes with deeper social commentary, but it’s mostly just “fun”, both in content and the social aspect (memeing, dress up, etc) outside of the film itself. Could have told a similar story as more of straight dramedy, and wouldn’t have seen nearly the same audience reception 

free girl except it's good

Do we get three consecutive $200 million-plus weekends?

TMNT has been well received and is only 90 minutes long. That's a lot of potential showings for a well-known IP.

I could see it doing $65-$70 million OW easily.  The last one did back in 2014.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I had a discussion about this with a colleague years ago. He was adamant the biggest celebrity of all was Muhammad Ali

Doesn’t matter,both are legend,you can’t tell who is more iconic

In China I believe MJ is more well-known,my 86 grandmother who don’t know bruce lee know him,but I don’t know other place,maybe they both on top level and many people standing there(like Tyson,Ali,Messi,Ronaldo,maybe even Justin Bieber if you think “well-known” things etc)

Edited by Sophia Jane