Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It blows my mind how many people are seeing this multiple times in a such a short span of time.  It's in my Top 5 movies of the year but probably going to wait at least a few weeks or a month or so for another viewing. This does not scream run back and see it over again and again. barbie, even though I have not seen it, makes sense 114 minutes and a easy sit. 

To me Barbie is more like a one and done movie, there's not really much there drawing me back to seeing it again on the big screen. Oppy meanwhile is much more of a spectacle, plus there are some things I feel like I missed on my first viewing (in no part because of Nolan's crappy dialogue/score mixing lol) that makes me want to see it again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

To me Barbie is more like a one and done movie, there's not really much there drawing me back to seeing it again on the big screen. Oppy meanwhile is much more of a spectacle, plus there are some things I feel like I missed on my first viewing (in no part because of Nolan's crappy dialogue/score mixing lol) that makes me want to see it again.

Makes sense. Like I said have not seen barbie yet. I guess I mean more the people who say they have seen Oppie 5 or 6 times. Like really? Are people independentaly wealthy or something. Like the movies I love I see maybe twice in theater every viewing after that at home because yes I still buy Blu Rays or streaming. 

Assuming the actuals don't go down (i assume they'd go up if anything), August is at 273mil after 6 days, that's about 190mil below last year's full month total and i assume it'll pass that by next Sunday at the latest.

For a bit of a comparison last years August 1st-December 31st had a total of 2.565 billion.

Edited by Ledmonkey96

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

It’s fascinating that one of the biggest theatrical hits of the past decade is… a movie that’s not really theatrical. We’ve seen in recent years especially that a movie needs to demand being seen on a big screen to be a huge grosser. But Barbie is a movie that you definitely wouldn’t lose much of anything on the small screen. It kind of goes back to what I’ve been saying about Barbie being one of if not the only box office juggernauts to not be a 3D or IMAX movie basically since Avatar 1.

The big asterisk being that it is absolutley a fun group audience experience if you can get that in the theater, but not everyone is going to have that in the theater though. Most probably won’t after the opening week crowds that are the kind that tend to be that way. Yet again, still crushing it at the box office (that estimate this weekend is definitely going up imo). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Disappointed in TMNT. Given the reviews I didn't expect it to take #4 for its OW. I know it opened on a Wednesday but still. 

Good WOM could help if people are interested in a concept but they are doubtful due to the quality.

However, good WOM couldn't really overcome a complete lack of interest in a concept.

30 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

For me, your latter point is how I feel about both films. Finally saw Oppenheimer, and the emotional and moral landscape of it is sitting with me in some beautiful ways other recent Nolan films have not. Really would be thrilled to see Nolan win his directing Oscar for this (at this point, given the critical and box office success of Oppenheimer and discourse around this being Nolan’s best, I think he has it in the bag).

Barbie also sits with me with its existentialist layers of what it means to be a man and to be a woman, and the complexities and contradictions that entails. What is so lovely about this film is that pretty much every person I’ve discussed it with has offered a different takeaway from the film or new vantage point to reflect on. Many people see themselves reflected in the film in different ways.

Having seen both of them now, it’s clear to me why these films not only opened in an explosive manner, re: “Barbenheimer”, but have endured and will both fly by 3x multipliers in remarkable fashion for their size and genre.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 9

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It’s fascinating that one of the biggest theatrical hits of the past decade is… a movie that’s not really theatrical. We’ve seen in recent years especially that a movie needs to demand being seen on a big screen to be a huge grosser. But Barbie is a movie that you definitely wouldn’t lose much of anything on the small screen. It kind of goes back to what I’ve been saying about Barbie being one of if not the only box office juggernauts to not be a 3D or IMAX movie basically since Avatar 1.

The big asterisk being that it is absolutley a fun group audience experience if you can get that in the theater, but not everyone is going to have that in the theater though. Most probably won’t after the opening week crowds that are the kind that tend to be that way. Yet again, still crushing it at the box office (that estimate this weekend is definitely going up imo). 

"It’s fascinating that one of the biggest theatrical hits of the past decade is… a movie that’s not really theatrical."

"it is absolutley a fun group audience experience"

You can't have it both ways.

27 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It blows my mind how many people are seeing this multiple times in a such a short span of time. 

I have seen it 4 times. It's a phenomenal movie, partially because there are so many names dropped in it that I learned during my college physics courses that it's practically a reunion for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kon said:

Good WOM could help if people are interested in a concept but they are doubtful due to the quality.

However, good WOM couldn't really overcome a complete lack of interest in a concept.

I think releasing on a Wednesday burnt off a fair bit of demand but it's fine for Paramount since TMNT is one of their key IPs

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Excellent total for Insidious: The Red Door! 

I saw Meg 2: The Trench and thought it was much more entertaining than The Meg btw. 

The China/US coproduction stuff is still extremely jarring though. 

I too will be seeing the Meg part 2 and just to follow up along with what you were saying about the co-production stuff, I started watching hidden strike, the Jackie Chan John Cena movie and I had to turn it off after a half an hour. There was just something really off about it. It looked like the entire thing was 1999 cgi. Everything on location or supposedly on location looks like it was done on a commodore 64. And that's just one of a litany of things that I didn't like about it including the acting the story The script the editing the directing the production values. It was just really weird. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

"It’s fascinating that one of the biggest theatrical hits of the past decade is… a movie that’s not really theatrical."

"it is absolutley a fun group audience experience"

You can't have it both ways.

That doesn’t even make sense. Barbie is not a spectacle movie that demands the big screen. It just isn’t. Yet it can be a very fun big audience experience IF you can get that kind of audience. Mileage will vary drastically with that though.