Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

Like any movie, Best Picture is decided by preferential ballot. Your movie needs lots of 1st and 2d spots to win on preferential ballot. So what it means is that movies that skew heavily one demo or the other are not likely to win while movies that are co-called concensus are. The more agreeable the movie is - be it that it made voters feel good about themselves for voting for them or that they felt it was important to vote for it - the better its shot to win because more people put it on 1st and 2d spot on the ballot. Passion movies that are divisive don't thrive here and that's exactly why this shitty ballot was invented. 

Shakespeare in Love would be considered one of the best rom coms of the 90s if it hadn't won all these oscars imo. 

It would probably get a big blacklash if it won any other year just because "unimportant" movies get the most hate when they 're put on pedestal. But winning against a genre-defining classic and with the way it won with all thoses infamous Weinstein backstage shenanigans, it has become the poster boy of everything wrong with the oscars. Even if way worse movies have won before and after it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

You know, we're about 3 weeks into Barbie's release, and the theater I go to is still busier than I had ever seen it pre-Barbie (and I saw Endgame there). I've gone there three times since Barbie released, and there's been a packed-to-the-gills parking lot and a ticket line out the door each time. I keep forgetting to show up earlier to wait in line (the theater shows very few trailers, with movies starting at most 5-10 minutes after the listed time, so I don't have much of a buffer if I show up on time).

This stretch of time could very well be among the busiest it's ever been, because the most popular theater in the area (a big Regal) closed down earlier this year, so its existing customers likely migrated to the two smaller regional chains in the area.

of course one place it's not representative of everything but as I said yesterday about Barbie we should consider all the movies its performance is comparable until now had Imax. even Imax 3D, and more premium screens. So yeah a comparison in tickets sold with Avatar 2 and Top Gun 2 could be really interesting.  

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, Cap said:

This feels like Nolan’s The Departed. He’s just gonna get it cause it’s his “time”. I don’t know if we’re going to ever get anything as funny as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Francis Ford Coppola, randomly all showing up to announce who’s going to win Best Director, but it feels like we could get one of those moments again.

Put me in coach, I'll present.

• Heart 1

I saw every best picture winner from 1970 and almost (80%) all of their competitors in that year. I never found a bad movie from the winner list, they are not bad movie by any means, they are just unworthy winner. Tbh, I find SiL and crash to be pretty good-great movie but doesn't mean I would agree with them being named as best movie of the year beating SPR and BM. 

To me Oscar is just a platform for me to discover great movie. Sometime I was totally onboard with certain movie wining the race like Birdman and Spotlight but meanwhile there are time also I find it very hard to swallow some decision like the shape of water. 

Movie taste is subjective, nobody is supposed to be agreeing or disagreeing with each other all the time. 

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Oppenheimer and Barbie won't win best picture. It's a rule of the Oscars that once a film becomes a certain level of popular it must immediately be rejected from consideration. Gonna be some random 30m grosser that nobodys even heard of yet

This is true, I’m glad the Oscars got me to watch this little indie gem called Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, I would have missed it otherwise 

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, baumer said:

And what exactly do you base this on? There really aren't that many gigantic blockbusters that were nominated for Best picture after 2008. Endgame never got it. If you're basing this on the fact that top gun Maverick got a nomination that's one film. Beyond Avatar and top gun there's no precedent to say that Barbie's going to get a Best picture nomination just because it grossed a lot of money.

I wouldn't say locked but I'd say 90% there are 10 nominees great reviews and the Academy loves Greta id be shocked if it wasn't nominated

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm much more confident in Nolan winning Best Director than Oppenheimer winning Best Picture but a combination of an R rated biopic with an all star cast being critically acclaimed and making blockbuster money is very rare. Might be enough to push it above films with similar acclaim.

The last $100m best picture winner was Argo a decade ago. The last winner that made >$200m was actually ROTK from almost two decade ago. 

I can see a path where Oppenheimer win the best picture if campaign can set up the narrative of how the movie save the Hollywood mid-budget movie, similar like EEAAO achieved last year as indie saviour. Until today I still believe the record-breaking BO got EEAOO where it is. The situation will be very much different had EEAAO only made $20m like every other indie/small movie nowadays. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, martin said:

So Barbie legs already better than Mario at this point.

Mario had bigger weekends but yeah in weeks comparison Barbie should be bigger this week too.

Mario full week (third weekdays + fourth weekend) was 54.8M

Barbie week should be at around 66-67M.

Edited by vale9001