Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Barbie

491 by the end of Thurs. Hitting 500 on Friday.

That would likely mean a drop of 40, 41%. IJS. Lol If so, a pattern has definitely developed where Barbie has strong Mondays/weekdays (though that will lessen more as schools start back) and softer Fri/Sat jumps. It could very well end up in Avengers territory, around 620-625. 

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

April weekdays aren’t kind to an animated family film (which ATSV really isn’t)

This is precisely why it’s better to compare full weeks rather than weekends or individual days 

exactly

last week (so second week weekdays + third weekend) Barbie was bigger than Jurassic World.

Jurassic world fourth weekend was 29.2M. Barbie has way better weekdays and weekend should be around the same. So this week will be again bigger than Jurassic World. And at the end of it it should be 556M for JW against 520-525m for Barbie.

So if the trend continues in the next week the chances to get near to JW are concrete. This is whhy i was saying i still see 650M happening. 

Some people here are too focused on weekend comparisons but Barbie has very huge weekdays. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

That would likely mean a drop of 40, 41%. IJS. Lol If so, a pattern has definitely developed where Barbie has strong Mondays/weekdays (though that will lessen more as schools start back) and softer Fri/Sat jumps. It could very well end up in Avengers territory, around 620-625. 

hitting at least 500M, not exactly 500M 😁

• Like 1

I'm guessing that the civic holiday had little to do with the number but I could be wrong. Even considering Canada contributing only a small amount, it's barely a holiday to begin with. I didn't even know it existed for the first like 25 years of my life XD it's in the middle of summer when schools are already off, and most of Canada doesn't consider it a stat holiday so loads of low wage jobs don't even have it off

16 minutes ago, M37 said:

April weekdays aren’t kind to an animated family film (which ATSV really isn’t)

This is precisely why it’s better to compare full weeks rather than weekends or individual days 

I see your point. Mario had a massive weekend recovery.

3 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I'm guessing that the civic holiday had little to do with the number but I could be wrong. Even considering Canada contributing only a small amount, it's barely a holiday to begin with. I didn't even know it existed for the first like 25 years of my life XD it's in the middle of summer when schools are already off, and most of Canada doesn't consider it a stat holiday so loads of low wage jobs don't even have it off

I don't think any of us are saying it's going to make a massive difference but there were still plenty of government jobs that were off yesterday including Banks bus drivers post office workers and so on. So it'll make a small difference.

18 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

Why?

The drop was better(60% vs 63%) tha the first movie.

First movie opened later in August. Weekdays were a bit weaker.

22 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Last week Barbie had to contend with two ~30m openers and it still held at 40%, therefore Avengers territory and 40%+ drops is currently the lower bound, as there is no reason to expect that Barbie would hold worse than Avengers going forward giving that it has held better thus far.

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Last week Barbie had to contend with two ~30m openers and it still held at 40%, therefore Avengers territory and 40%+ drops is currently the lower bound, as there is no reason to expect that Barbie would hold worse than Avengers going forward giving that it has held better thus far.

Last week was 43% and unless/until the pattern changes, Avengers territory is a realistic expectation. Avengers also had the benefit of falling into peak summer late into its run whereas Barbies legs will likely not be as strong going forward. 

8 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Last week was 43% and unless/until the pattern changes, Avengers territory is a realistic expectation. Avengers also had the benefit of falling into peak summer late into its run whereas Barbies legs will likely not be as strong going forward

Barbie has more than a month of essentially no competition outside of Blue Beetle, so I don't know where you're getting the impression that Barbie's legs will suddenly start falling off a cliff.

Also "Last week was 43%" is not indicative of a pattern. In fact, it's not indicative of much of anything other than that Barbie has very above average legs (better than The Avengers' 50% drop may I add), especially given that last week was the most competition Barbie will likely face in its entire run. The established trend, or "pattern" is that with a lack of upcoming competition, we would expect Barbie's holds to improve in the following weeks rather than decrease.

As a final note you have also been guilty of consistently underestimating this movie, such as questioning whether 600m was locked far after most other people in the know had already accepted that to be the case.

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't think any of us are saying it's going to make a massive difference but there were still plenty of government jobs that were off yesterday including Banks bus drivers post office workers and so on. So it'll make a small difference.

Pretty much every office worker has it off so its holiday. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Barbie has more than a month of essentially no competition outside of Blue Beetle, so I don't know where you're getting the impression that Barbie's legs will suddenly start falling off a cliff.

Also "Last week was 43%" is not indicative of a pattern. In fact, it's not indicative of much of anything other than that Barbie has very above average legs (better than The Avengers' 50% drop may I add), especially given that last week was the most competition Barbie will likely face in its entire run. The established trend, or "pattern" is that with a lack of upcoming competition, we would expect Barbie's holds to improve in the following weeks rather than decrease.

As a final note you have also been guilty of consistently underestimating this movie, such as questioning whether 600m was locked far after most other people in the know had already accepted that to be the case.

This is funny because I'm talking about what is (over 40% drops two weeks in a row) and you're talking about what may happened based on lack of competition. Lol If Barbie can manage a sub 40s this week, then it won't be a pattern and the numbers could very well go up. My post was based on if it has another drop of 40% or more, which I think would qualify as a pattern. 

Oh the horror of being "guilty" of thinking a movie isn't locked before it actually is locked. 😂 Being doubtful gets more ire than unrealistic over predictions, like those who just couldn't see how it wouldn't achieve a 100M second weekend. Lol!  

1 minute ago, Ororo Munroe said:

This is funny because I'm talking about what is (over 40% drops two weeks in a row) and you're talking about what may happened based on lack of competition. Lol If Barbie can manage a sub 40s this week, then it won't be a pattern and the numbers could very well go up. My post was based on if it has another drop of 40% or more, which I think would qualify as a pattern. 

Oh the horror of being "guilty" of thinking a movie isn't locked before it actually is locked. 😂 Being doubtful gets more ire than unrealistic over predictions, like those who just couldn't see how it wouldn't achieve a 100M second weekend. Lol!  

You do realize that drops don't happen in a vacuum right? How a movie performs is in fact impacted by the circumstances surrounding it, such as competition, lack of screens, etc. Barbie's first and second weekends had different circumstances surrounding them, not to mention that a 40% hold in the first weekend is much more impressive than a 40% hold in let's say the fifth weekend.

Also, your tone isn't doing you any favors in this discussion

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

You do realize that drops don't happen in a vacuum right? How a movie performs is in fact impacted by the circumstances surrounding it, such as competition, lack of screens, etc. Barbie's first and second weekends had different circumstances surrounding them, not to mention that a 40% hold in the first weekend is much more impressive than a 40% hold in let's say the fifth weekend.

Also, your tone isn't doing you any favors in this discussion

yeah yeah this is all true but like

why would ever want more cheddar

you should be asking for less cheddar instead

• Thanks 1