Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

Barbie has to have the most consistently impressive Mondays of any summer blockbuster ever. None have been on a holiday thus far yet we just had 3 sub-50% Monday drops in a row, all coming off of Sunday dips of 15% or less.

• Like 8

It looks like Barbie’s third Monday is bigger than the first Monday for all 2023 films so far except for five: AM3; TSMBM; TLM; IJ5 and Oppenheimer. The three Disney films all had the benefit of a holiday weekend on their first Mondays. 

I wonder when WB knew they had a massive hit on their hands. Was it when that teaser dropped which parodied 2001: A Space Odyssey?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cory said:

38% jump over the previous non-holiday 3rd Monday record (TGM/JW). Astronomical. 

Is Monday Jan 4th (TFA & Avatar, both just over $8M) still really a holiday, that much more inflated than a late summer weekday?

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

It looks like Barbie’s third Monday is bigger than the first Monday for all 2023 films so far except for five: AM3; TSMBM; TLM; IJ5 and Oppenheimer. The three Disney films all had the benefit of a holiday weekend on their first Mondays. 

I wonder when WB knew they had a massive hit on their hands. Was it when that teaser dropped which parodied 2001: A Space Odyssey?

when they decided to go against Nolan 🤣.

No way they would have put against it something with the risk to be panned or to be a commercial failure 😄

Edited by vale9001

30 minutes ago, cory said:

Not even exaggerating when I say that's the most impressive non-OW number I've ever seen in nearly 20 years of following the box office. And the rest of the week might top it. 

I think you are little exaggerating, cause Avatar numbers adjusted are same level or better, and of course older movies have simmilar pattern,. Of course Barbie is doing really well and all of us love these kind of numbers, but mostly are due inflation IMO. 

For me is even better the SUN-Mon drop repeating, this is truly remarkable.

• Like 1

Legit said out loud: “Good job, Barbie” at that number. 

My friend wanted to go see a Haunted Mansion discount day tonight, but she canceled on me. If it wasn’t for the dog, I would hop over to Barbie again. I’m thinking about it. 🤔 Gotta do my part to play Zaslav’s salary!

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

Barbie has to have the most consistently impressive Mondays of any summer blockbuster ever. None have been on a holiday thus far yet we just had 3 sub-50% Monday drops in a row, all coming off of Sunday dips of 15% or less.

This is something to check it out, cause is a real freaking data if it´s correct.

• Astonished 1

25 minutes ago, cory said:

38% jump over the previous non-holiday 3rd Monday record (TGM/JW). Astronomical. 

So yesterday probably half of Canada was off as it was a civic holiday. I know our box office only contributes between 5-8% of the overall number but it'll be very interesting to see how much the holiday in Canada inflated the numbers?

• Like 1

Dear Barbie,

im really happy for your success. Glad, even. But can you just ... slow down a little bit? Just a little bit?

Please?

Best wishes for a 640 - 651M finish,

A nervous Bug.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, setna said:

No, it’s the nature of female-skewing films: higher weekdays, smaller Fri increases

I’m not trying to downplay the value, because in the big picture it’s quite ridiculous, but in context of current values and trajectory … it’s also totally expected. Like were y’all expecting some kind of crash for yesterday?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, setna said:

I think you are little exaggerating, cause Avatar numbers adjusted are same level or better, and of course older movies have simmilar pattern,. Of course Barbie is doing really well and all of us love these kind of numbers, but mostly are due inflation IMO. 

well that's for everyting 

the incredible 25M fifth weekend for Top gun everyone was celebrating last year it's not that so much better than pretty woman 20M adjusted fifth weekend. I mean Pretty Woman,  so just think how many adjusted better weekends we got in the past.

Speaking about Avatar, that movie didn't have like 80% or more of tickets in 3D format?. Even with 14 years inflation i wouldn't be surprised numbers of tickets sold are really similar for Barbie, it doesn't even have imax. 

Edited by vale9001

8 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

well that's for everyting 

the incredible 25M fifth weekend for Top gun everyone was celebrating last year it's not that so much better than pretty woman 20M adjusted fifth weekend. I mean Pretty Woman,  so just think how many adjusted better weekends we got in the past.

Speaking about Avatar, that movie didn't have like 80% or more of tickets in 3D format?. Even with 14 years inflation i wouldn't be surprised numbers of tickets sold are really similar for Barbie, it doesn't even have imax. 

Of course, we are agree then. Different ages, different kind of sucess, everybody happy.

• Thanks 1