Gavin Feng

Weekdays Thread: Barbie $9.1M MON | $9.6M TUES

25 minutes ago, Cap said:

I would be floored if it didn’t get (and win):

- Best Original Son (“I’m Just Ken”)

Hard one to win. There are so many billions of Sons in the world. Ken might loose here, since there are so many of him out there, albeit most of them have a very plastic personality.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The most classy way to handle it is to have Margot Robbie and Cillian Murphy announcing an award winner together.

I think there is a very, very good chance that this exact pairing will happen as both will be likely nominees since Robbie could receive noms for Actress and/or Picture where she is one of the primary producers of Barbie and they are the ones who receive noms for Picture.

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

Barbie is locked for a Best Picture nomination

And what exactly do you base this on? There really aren't that many gigantic blockbusters that were nominated for Best picture after 2008. Endgame never got it. If you're basing this on the fact that top gun Maverick got a nomination that's one film. Beyond Avatar and top gun there's no precedent to say that Barbie's going to get a Best picture nomination just because it grossed a lot of money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Who the fuck is she and what makes her the arbiter of what the movie is saying? (Spoiler: people are allowed to interpret art differently and in whatever way they want.)

Edited by KC7
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, KC7 said:

Who the fuck is she and what makes her the arbiter of what the movie is saying? (Spoiler: people are allowed to interpret art differently and in whatever way they want.)

she’s the left of left Green Party politics pundit who is famous for suggesting never Hillary in 2016 even if Trump wins 

• ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, baumer said:

And what exactly do you base this on? There really aren't that many gigantic blockbusters that were nominated for Best picture after 2008. Endgame never got it. If you're basing this on the fact that top gun Maverick got a nomination that's one film. Beyond Avatar and top gun there's no precedent to say that Barbie's going to get a Best picture nomination just because it grossed a lot of money.

Joker and Black Panther got Best Picture nominations and neither of those had academy award nominees behind the camera like Barbie had.

Critical acclaim, box office juggernaut, cultural landmark, social commentary. You’d have to be in pretty strong denial to think this isn’t gonna be an Oscar juggernaut. Especially since it’s an acting and writing showcase

• Like 8

I would be pretty surprised if Barbie didn't get a BP nod. It won't win, but it's good enough to put it up there if for nothing more than a viewership bump for the show. 

Oppy has a good shot at winning and I think it probably will.

1 minute ago, XXR Dar-Benn said:

I would be pretty surprised if Barbie didn't get a BP nod. It won't win

I think it’s gonna get closer to winning than a lot of people think. It’s exactly the type of thing that SAG would love: populist, crowd-pleasing, diverse. It’s exactly the type of thing that WGA loves: witty, social satire, hip. It’s basically locked to win ACE. The only guild it could have trouble winning is DGA.

44 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Couldn't disagree more with this response. Ken spends most of the time seeking Barbie's attention and approval, and defines his existence and self-worth via his relationship to her.

And then at the climax of the film, Ken literally (spoilers):

Spoiler

does a whole song and dance number where he grapples with his own identity -- acknowledges his feelings, including how he's "always number two" and "where I see love, she sees a friend", etc.

And THEN Barbie:

Spoiler

in a pivotal scene where Ken still tries to make a move with Barbie, reassures him that it is time for him to figure out who he is without her; that they don't have to be "Barbie and Ken" - they can exist separately. Hence, "I Am Kenough".

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I just don't see this person's assertion that this is not the film that was written, at all. It is threaded within the narrative and humour of the film.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 8
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Oppenheimer screams movie that definitely gets nominated but definitely doesn't win. I think it is more likely Barbie takes Picture/Director and Opp takes the tech categories besides Production/Costume Design and Hair and Makeup which are probably all going to Barbie. VFX will probably go to something else given there isn't much of it in either films. Killers of the Flower Moon might be able to sneak a cinematography or supporting actor/actress win. Doesn't leave much room for anything else at the Oscars this year. I wonder if combined with the strike that might be motivation for studios to move their awards season movies to next year. 

Barbie winning best picture over Oppenheimer is Green Book-levels of lame. Just can't see any scenario where something as important and imperative as this gets brushed aside for a funny four quadrant blockbuster - especially given the global climate right now. Then again, somehow CODA won Best Picture so I guess it's just their M.O.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TMP said:

Barbie winning best picture over Oppenheimer is Green Book-levels of lame. Just can't see any scenario where something as important and imperative as this gets brushed aside for a funny four quadrant blockbuster - especially given the global climate right now. Then again, somehow CODA won Best Picture so I guess it's just their M.O.

CODA was much better than Barbie. I think, after EEAAO, the Academy will go with a more conventional Oscar bait winner. 

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

CODA was much better than Barbie. I think, after EEAAO, the Academy will go with a more conventional Oscar bait winner. 

Nah. CODA is the worst Best Picture winner in a long time. I don't even really care for Barbie but at least it has vision and interesting cinematic influences like His Girl Friday and the work of Jacques Demy.

CODA has no style and no vision. It's a milquetoast Sundance coming of age story that benefited from the front-runner being a cold drama that no one really had passion for.  I would have been much happier if Belfast or King Richard were the crowd-pleasing alternatives but their respective studios dropped the ball on their campaigns.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I'd take Barbie over both tbh but I also think those were two of the most overrated wins in recent years. This recent trend of BP winners shying away from anything too uncomfortable is so lame.

edit: I actually think the idea of Ken being a metaphor for young boys being indoctrinated into toxic masculinity before they've even fully formed who they are was incredibly clever, but so much of the rest of it felt way too lightweight for it to feel like an earned winner

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

Barbie is not the typical blockbuster. Greta Gerwig as director and writer gave it cred with critics. Not saying it will win any major awards, but great chances at noms with its incredible sucess so far.

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'd take Barbie over both tbh but I also think those were two of the most overrated wins in recent years. This recent trend of BP winners shying away from anything too uncomfortable is so lame.

The only interesting thing about EEAAO as a Best Picture winner is that it shows the changing demographics in the Academy. Showing the shift from Boomers to Millennials, in the way Midnight Cowboy did the same for Boomers.

I just wish Milennials had better taste than just Rick and Morty esque bullshit.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Oppenheimer is just too dark for a Best Picture winner. The message you take away from the movie is pretty bleak as opposed to Barbie/Coda/Green Book/even Moonlight/Spotlight which all kind of say it's been tough for a particular group of people in society but the world is changing for the better as long as we continue the fight. 

Just now, Fanboy said:

Oppenheimer is just too dark for a Best Picture winner. The message you take away from the movie is pretty bleak as opposed to Barbie/Coda/Green Book/even Moonlight/Spotlight which all kind of say it's been tough for a particular group of people in society but the world is changing for the better as long as we continue the fight. 

Oppenheimer has great audience scores though, so it's a crowd-pleaser. It's not a Power of the Dog/Roma situation where no one really likes the film itself besides the "directorial achievement." It's a crowd-pleaser. It can definitely win.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Oppenheimer has great audience scores though, so it's a crowd-pleaser. It's not a Power of the Dog/Roma situation where no one really likes the film itself besides the "directorial achievement." It's a crowd-pleaser. It can definitely win.

Power Of The Dog and Roma are both great and Oscars doesn’t really care about what audiences think 

I’m sure both Barbie and Oppie will be nominated especially because there’s 10 slots now, but the last thing they care about is audience scores for both  

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Power Of The Dog and Roma are both great and Oscars doesn’t really care about what audiences think 

You don't get what I'm saying.

Power of the Dog and Roma are not crowd-pleasers. It's not like the academy looks up audience scores, but audience scores reflect whether the film is a crowd-pleaser or not. The academy isn't just made of movie buffs, a lot of members are just normal everyday movie goers. They agree with audience scores a lot of the time. That matters when it comes to winning. CODA proved this with it's exceptional audience scores.

Whatever you thought of those films, it's clear there wasn't any passion for Power of the Dog and Roma. They're slow, cold, and were celebrated for their direction but not much else (the only Guild both won was DGA).

• Like 3