Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

3 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

As someone who was never interested in horror movies, I only found out on this sub that Demeter is suppose to be a Dracula movie.

It’s from a segment of the original novel when Dracula travels to London. It’s a shame they fucked it up because it’s a genuinely unsettling part of the story that’s worthy of its own (good) movie.

• Like 2

Demeter is my let down of the year.

What a waste of a good concept, visuals and atmosphere.

Movie needed to be a brisk 90 minute adventure. Instead it's 2 hours and felt like 3. The pacing is just terrible and it's dreadfully boring.

The characters are so paper thin and so dumb. The whole plot is stretched out beyond reason you're left scratching your head what exactly their plan is other than being willing sitting ducks.

Slow burn for this could have worked with a skilled director ramping up tension and suspense but instead it just feels lifeless.

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

All right so I passed on the visitor and I'm watching something called there's something wrong with the children. It's a Blum House horror movie.

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

Demeter is my let down of the year.

What a waste of a good concept, visuals and atmosphere.

Movie needed to be a brisk 90 minute adventure. Instead it's 2 hours and felt like 3. The pacing is just terrible and it's dreadfully boring.

The characters are so paper thin and so dumb. The whole plot is stretched out beyond reason you're left scratching your head what exactly their plan is other than being willing sitting ducks.

Slow burn for this could have worked with a skilled director ramping up tension and suspense but instead it just feels lifeless.

Movies nowadays in general are too long. Horror and comedy rarely needs more than 90 minutes. 

• Like 4

I still can’t believe how studios jumped on this 2.5hr+ trend for theatrical releases this decade. Prior to the pandemic, creatives had to practically beg the studios to get a theatrical cut of that length and it usually only happened with stuff that was considered a sure thing for success (like Endgame). So weird to see such a drastic shift, and I’m not really sure why it happened. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still can’t believe how studios jumped on this 2.5hr+ trend for theatrical releases this decade. Prior to the pandemic, creatives had to practically beg the studios to get a theatrical cut of that length and it usually only happened with stuff that was considered a sure thing for success (like Endgame). So weird to see such a drastic shift, and I’m not really sure why it happened. 

I think it happened a lot more than you are remembering. 

• Like 3

I saw 13.8/7.8 at usual place B/O. It appears as if Friday increases were soft for some reason and we are seeing better than norm saturday increase. B - 35m+ and O ~ 19m. Not spectacular hold or anything(B had one in its 2nd weekend) but weekdays are strong its still going for great overall multiplier. I am hopeful that we will eliminate one meh movie from Top 10 all time unadjusted. Plus we need representation of Greta for sure. Even Bug will appreciate that. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think it happened a lot more than you are remembering. 

Not really? Some Nolan stuff, Wolf of Wall Street, Django, Endgame… what other really notable examples in the 10s are there? This decade in 21-23 has had Eternals, No Time to Die, Dune, No Way Home, Elvis, The Batman, A2, Babylon, GotG3, Black Panther 2, Opp, DR1, Dominion was right on the cusp… that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really? Some Nolan stuff, Wolf of Wall Street, Django, Endgame… what other really notable examples in the 10s are there? This decade in 21-23 has had Eternals, No Time to Die, Dune, No Way Home, Elvis, The Batman, A2, Babylon, GotG3, Black Panther 2, Opp, DR1, Dominion was right on the cusp… that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

You're just being selective with your choices, if you count Dominion and Guardians 3, then every Michael Bay Transformers movie should count, as should every Hobbit movie, as all of those were longer.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 3

Just now, Bob Train said:

You're just being selective with your choices, if you count Dominion and Guardians 3, then every Michael Bay Transformers movie should count, as should every Hobbit movie, as all of those were longer.

yeah, the shortest Bayformers was the first and it was 2:24. 2-5 were all at the very least over 2:30 with AOE clocking in at 2:45 🤮

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Forgot about Hobbits and TFs being that long. Still doesn’t compensate for the shitload of 2.5hr+ runtimes in two years. It used to be a rarity and it is almost the new norm. I’d bet money there are more major studio 2.5+ releases in 21-23 than all of the 10s. 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How about Transformers franchise? Those movies are way too long.