Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Could Barbie’s DOM grows finish at around $635-640M DOM? Between Avengers (623M) & Jurassic World (653M) DOM numbers or higher?

I think I speak for

literally-park-and-rec.gif

everyone here when I say it needs to finish above $653m

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I think I speak for

literally-park-and-rec.gif

everyone here when I say it needs to finish above $653m

Are you Satan?

I thought i liked you Deep Wang. Now i see you are evil.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Would Demeter have done better if it was literally titled "Dracula on a boat"?

They should have called Renfield “Assistant of Dracula” or “Dracula’s Assistant” - would have fit with the titling since it’s a quasi-sequel to the lugosi one anyway

5 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Once vampires started sparkling they were pretty much ruined.

Except of course the ones who actually sparkled, those five movies if I recall correctly, did pretty well LOL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

You can absolutely make a low budget Dracula film and have it be a small hit. It’s not “Dracula is uncool, no one cares about it” it’s “these past two movies made surrounding Dracula were bad.”

One of my favorite Youtube videos from Patrick Willems has always been his dissertations on all the Robin Hood and King Arthur adaptations and why the more recent attempts have all failed. And he brings up a great point that it can be easy to make people care and get excited for old-school public domain properties if you actually develop some fun reinventions that still capture the spirit of the original character, or just develop something that actually looks interesting and fun. Like there's no factual evidence that explains why Sherlock Holmes or The Invisible Man can be successful, but Robin Hood or Dracula can't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

The legs on TMNT seem kinda underwhelming for an animated flick. I figured WOM would help but I guess not.

It’s an issue of older skewing since TMNT is a very nostalgic/retro brand. All of the 2000s movies have failed to hit a 3x bc these movies have a large adult audience who were kids in their 80s/90s heyday. Also, kids have started going back to school, so that could be hurting too. 

Franchise multis:

TMNT (07) - 2.25x (epic disaster multi for the 00s, wow)

2014 - 2.9x

Out of the Shadows - 2.3x

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

The legs on TMNT seem kinda underwhelming for an animated flick. I figured WOM would help but I guess not.

As I've said numerous times before, time can't heal every wound, and the one left by the Bay movies is evidently one of those. That, combined with most audiences having had their theatrical fill for the season with Barbenheimer, makes for an unpleasant cocktail. The core fans will still be there, but I think the average person is done with the Turtles, unless a big auteur comes in wanting to do something with it. Paramount seems to have realized this if the budget for this new one is any indication. Much like Sony with Ghostbusters, lowering costs and doubling down on the fans might be a decent way to keep the franchise alive going forward. I bet Paramount's wishing they did this with Dungeons and Dragons, a similarly ostracized brand, too.

I don’t think those sneak previews tonight for Gran Turismo are going well. There is a 2.30 showing of Oppy on the Dolby screen at my nearby AMC and it has sold about 70 tickets so far. The 7:00pm Gran Turismo showing on the same Dolby screen has sold about 60 tickets so far.

Hoping for a bigger than normal Sat bump for Barbie or it’s going to lose some ground this weekend in the fight for 700. Some kids being back in school could lead to bigger Sat bumps, but I don’t think there’s much of any kid audience for Barbie at this point though. 

Serious question here: what did you all expect Ninja Turtles to drop this weekend? Like regardless of its Wednesday opening, I still think sub-50 for the FSS is still fine for a franchise that is going to have a large upfront fandom demand going into it. Plus there's plenty more weeks with little coming out to steal its screens, it's likely going to be one of the major events for National Cinema Day, people seem to like it. I'm pretty sure 130M or so was what we all expected and were fine with, which seems to be the number it's on track for IMO. So why are we throwing a fit over this?

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

I'm pretty sure 130M or so was what we all expected and were fine with, which seems to be the number it's on track for IMO. So why are we throwing a fit over this?

I think 130M might be there, but that at this point still requires great holds and/or some Labor Day-National Cinema Day effect (also feeling Disney may push with Elemental there just before it lands on Disney+, which is something Paramount's not gonna be a fan of).

Also, isn't Mutant Mayhem going on digital quite early too?

Edited by Jovan

1 hour ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Serious question here: what did you all expect Ninja Turtles to drop this weekend? Like regardless of its Wednesday opening, I still think sub-50 for the FSS is still fine for a franchise that is going to have a large upfront fandom demand going into it. Plus there's plenty more weeks with little coming out to steal its screens, it's likely going to be one of the major events for National Cinema Day, people seem to like it. I'm pretty sure 130M or so was what we all expected and were fine with, which seems to be the number it's on track for IMO. So why are we throwing a fit over this?

To answer your question: because lamenting “bad holds” is required, and MI7’s turn as punching bag has become tiresome 

Last Summer, Super Pets dropped 52% in weekend 2, and still went on to make nearly 3x the OWeek. If Turtles followed suit, would be flirting with $150M domestic 

TMNT was so fucking good. Best animated movie of the year. I don't really care for the Spider-Verse films, but this is what I imagine everyone sees in those films.

It's also a lot better than Mitchell's, even just from this one not having a film twitter user as the main character.

• Like 2