Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Gone with the Wind has a running time of 3 hours and 58 minutes.

If you prefer something more recent, Titanic is 3 hours and 14 minutes. 

A couple of years prior to that, one of the greatest movies of all time, Heat, was released and it clocks in at 2 hours and 50 minutes. 

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2019/3/longest-hollywood-movies

I did not even realize Godfather part 2 was 200 minutes long !!! It was that well made. Branaugh's Hamlet being 4 hr plus is nuts. Most other very long movies are epic historical dramas. I guess Chris Nolan was limited by how long the Imax 70mm print could be. Otherwise Oppeneheimer would have been even longer 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WorkingonaName said:

Shout out to the 7 Hour long War and Peace. 

An hour per 175 pages of the novel.  Far too rushed.   ^_^

The BBC mini series from 1972 with Anthony Hopkins is still the best version - 20 episodes at almost 15 hours.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Movies have had long runtimes since the early 00s or so. Whining about it now is whining 20 years too late.

I disagree. We were overall in a much shorter era of major movie releases being epic runtimes in the 00s and 10s. You’re thinking more old school Hollywood where they loved the epic runtimes.

The fact that several people were trying to list all of the 2.5+hr movies from the 10s and I counted 17 in this thread vs 14 I basically listed off the top of my head from 21-23 should say it all. And 23 is not over. May beat that 17 yet. 

Id imagine Killers, Napoleon and Dune are all 2.5+? There we go, tied right there. 

Edited by MovieMan89

@WrathOfHan @Blankments Realized I haven't updated you guys since March, so....sorry if there's too many movies here.

18x:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets, Don't Worry Darling, See How They Run, Ticket to Paradise, Till, The Banshees of Inisherin, Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World, The Fabelmans, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III, Scream VI

16x:

Oppenheimer: Nope, Jaws, Avatar, The Fabelmans, Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, A Man Called Otto, Living, Creed III, Moving On, Air, Fast X, Blackberry, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Asteroid City

11x:

The Flash: Uncharted, The Batman, Air, Suzume, Return of the Jedi, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, Blackberry, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

9x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Dog, Uncharted, The Guide, RRR, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Missing, The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Haunted Mansion: Scream VI, The Little Mermaid, The Boogeyman, Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Joy Ride, Barbie, Toy Story

8x:

John Wick: Chapter 4: Bullet Train, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Plane, The Whale, Knock at the Cabin, Creed III, Scream VI

Barbie: Avatar: The Way of Water, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Moving On, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Elemental, Asteroid City

7x:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Plane, Cocaine Bear, Creed III, Moving On, Suzume, Return of the Jedi

Book Club: The Next Chapter: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Babylon, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Women Talking, Close, Air, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water, How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Return of the Jedi, The Little Mermaid, The Boogeyman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, No Hard Feelings

Gran Turismo: Blackberry, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

6x:

Chevalier: The Menu, The Whale, Women Talking, Living, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III

Evil Dead Rise: M3GAN, Plane, Missing, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, John Wick: Chapter 4

Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken: Suzume, Return of the Jedi, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Elemental

Strays: Cocaine Bear, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, No Hard Feelings, Joy Ride, Theater Camp

5x:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2

The Boogeyman: John Wick: Chapter 4, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, Blackberry

The Blackening: Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, The Boogeyman

Blue Beetle: The Super Mario Bros. Movie, How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Evil Dead Rise, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

The Marvels: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Theater Camp, Frozen

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Asteroid City, Joy Ride

Wish: Elemental, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Frozen

4x:

65: Avatar: The Way of Water, A Man Called Otto, Missing, Magic Mike's Last Dance

Elemental: Strange World, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1: Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Meg 2: The Trench: No Hard Feelings, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Joy Ride, Oppenheimer Round 2

3x:

Spoiler

A Good Person: Women Talking, Close, All Quiet on the Western Front

Renfield: M3GAN, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, Scream VI, John Wick: Chapter 4

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret: Women Talking, Close, Moving On

Polite Society: Knock at the Cabin, Scream VI, Suzume

Fast X: John Wick: Chapter 4, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, How to Blow Up a Pipeline

The Little Mermaid: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: Scream VI, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Fast X

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem: Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Elemental, Barbie

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Asteroid City, Barbie

The Creator: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2

The Exorcist: Believer: Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2, Talk to Me

The Holdovers: Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2, Theater Camp

Dune: Part Two: Fast X, Oppenheimer, Oppenheimer Round 2

Migration: The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

The Color Purple: The Little Mermaid, Barbie, Theater Camp

Challengers: No Hard Feelings, Joy Ride, Barbie

White Bird: Thor: Love and Thunder, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid

2x:

Spoiler

Champions: M3GAN, Magic Mike's Last Dance

The Lost King: 2023 Oscar Nominated Shorts - Animation, EO

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves: Smile, Scream VI

Showing Up: The Whale, Close

The Covenant: Creed III, Air

Big George Foreman: Air, How to Blow Up a Pipeline

Joy Ride: John Wick: Chapter 4, The Blackening

Shortcomings: Past Lives x2 (yes, they played the trailer twice lol)

The Last Voyage of the Demeter: You Hurt My Feelings, Oppenheimer

The Nun II: The Boogeyman, Talk to Me

Expend4bles: The Blackening, Joy Ride

Killers of the Flower Moon: Oppenheimer, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Ordinary Angels: Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, Theater Camp

Five Nights at Freddy's: Fast X, The Boogeyman

Priscilla: Past Lives, Talk to Me

Poor Things: Talk to Me, Theater Camp

Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom: Uncharted, The Batman

Drive-Away Dolls: Past Lives, Asteroid City

Problemista: Past Lives, Talk to Me

1x:

Spoiler

Scream 6: Babylon

Moving On: Magic Mike's Last Dance

Air: Creed III

One Fine Morning: Living

Maffia Mamma: Knock at the Cabin

Beau is Afraid: Close

Somewhere in Queens: Moving On

Sisu: John Wick: Chapter 4

Hypnotic: Evil Dead Rise

Knights of the Zodiac: Suzume

Monica: Blackberry

Sanctuary: How to Blow Up a Pipeline

About My Father: Return of the Jedi

Asteroid City: Master Gardener

No Hard Feelings: You Hurt My Feelings

Insidious: The Red Door: Evil Dead Rise

Biosphere: Blackberry

Back on the Strip: Past Lives

Landscape with Invisible Hand: Asteroid City

The Equalizer 3: Oppenheimer Round 2

Camp Hideout: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Dumb Money: No Hard Feelings

Paw Patrol: The Mighty Movie: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Saw X: Talk to Me

Trolls Band Together: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Napoleon: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Bob Marley: One Love: Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One

Elio: Frozen

The Unbreakable Boy: King Richard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Turtle said:

@WrathOfHan @Blankments Realized I haven't updated you guys since March, so....sorry if there's too many movies here.

18x:

Shazam! Fury of the Gods: Minions: The Rise of Gru, DC League of Super Pets, Don't Worry Darling, See How They Run, Ticket to Paradise, Till, The Banshees of Inisherin, Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World, The Fabelmans, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III, Scream VI

16x:

Oppenheimer: Nope, Jaws, Avatar, The Fabelmans, Avatar: The Way of Water, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, A Man Called Otto, Living, Creed III, Moving On, Air, Fast X, Blackberry, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Asteroid City

11x:

The Flash: Uncharted, The Batman, Air, Suzume, Return of the Jedi, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, Blackberry, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

9x:

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse: Dog, Uncharted, The Guide, RRR, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Missing, The Super Mario Bros. Movie

Haunted Mansion: Scream VI, The Little Mermaid, The Boogeyman, Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Joy Ride, Barbie, Toy Story

8x:

John Wick: Chapter 4: Bullet Train, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Round 2, Plane, The Whale, Knock at the Cabin, Creed III, Scream VI

Barbie: Avatar: The Way of Water, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Moving On, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Elemental, Asteroid City

7x:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Plane, Cocaine Bear, Creed III, Moving On, Suzume, Return of the Jedi

Book Club: The Next Chapter: Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Babylon, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2, Women Talking, Close, Air, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Avatar: The Way of Water, How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Return of the Jedi, The Little Mermaid, The Boogeyman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, No Hard Feelings

Gran Turismo: Blackberry, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Elemental, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

6x:

Chevalier: The Menu, The Whale, Women Talking, Living, Magic Mike's Last Dance, Creed III

Evil Dead Rise: M3GAN, Plane, Missing, Knock at the Cabin, Cocaine Bear, John Wick: Chapter 4

Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken: Suzume, Return of the Jedi, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, Elemental

Strays: Cocaine Bear, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, No Hard Feelings, Joy Ride, Theater Camp

5x:

The Super Mario Bros. Movie: Black Adam, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Strange World, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish Round 2

The Boogeyman: John Wick: Chapter 4, Evil Dead Rise, Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, Blackberry

The Blackening: Fast X, You Hurt My Feelings, The Boogeyman

Blue Beetle: The Super Mario Bros. Movie, How to Blow Up a Pipeline, Evil Dead Rise, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

The Marvels: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Theater Camp, Frozen

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Lightyear, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Asteroid City, Joy Ride

Wish: Elemental, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Toy Story, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem, Frozen

4x:

65: Avatar: The Way of Water, A Man Called Otto, Missing, Magic Mike's Last Dance

Elemental: Strange World, Are You There God? It's Me Margaret, The Little Mermaid, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1: Top Gun: Maverick, Avatar: The Way of Water Round 2, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Meg 2: The Trench: No Hard Feelings, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Joy Ride, Oppenheimer Round 2

3x:

Reveal hidden contents

2x:

Reveal hidden contents

1x:

Reveal hidden contents

How is this calculated? 

X = Day 1/(Life to date Sales) ?

When I went to Leonard Maltin Panel at SDCC this year, he said he challenges any modern filmmaker to make a 2hr movie. Just… putting that out there 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cap said:

When I went to Leonard Maltin Panel at SDCC this year, he said he challenges any modern filmmaker to make a 2hr movie. Just… putting that out there 

For me Dunkirk was a perfect example of a very tightly conceived and executed film despite the complex structure. It was a wonderful exercise in self-restraint, especially considering just how long Nolan's movies usually run...

Personally I find that of the great modern filmmakers Tarantino is the worst when it comes to self-indulgent runtimes.

Dead Reckoning is a curious one to me. Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation had perfect pacing and were just over two hours. Fallout went to the 2.5 hour range but still flowed beautifully. DR1 in my opinion was longer and felt it. Despite some outstanding set pieces, there was a ton of very badly done exposition dump and overall the movie didn't have the same smooth pacing. 

• Thanks 1

Speaking of movie runtimes, I watched all the Men in Black movies recently and the first one is masterclass in pacing. The movie runs for 90 minutes give or take and it sets up and pays off every single thread in that running time while also creating an expansive universe to be explored and never making us feel shortchanged.

And within that 90 minutes, it manages to have this quiet scene with just 2 people talking which is missing in a lot of movies now. In movies now, any conversation is just meant for info-dumping than any character or theme specific discussion

• Like 11
  • Heart 1

Movie were long for a reason.

Now most movies are long for no reason.

This is the difference.  Titanic is perfect 3 hours and 10 min long. Not a sequence there is too much.

Avatar 2 is 3 hours and 10 cause now big consume of movies is on the platforms and they try to follow the consume trend of these.

It could have been cut to at least 2 hours and 40 like the First movie without losing anything. 

The consume trend of these says people don't like to choose a new thing every day, they like long things. So a 3 hours movie you watch in 2-3 nights. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Writers used to know how to write dialogue for actual human beings instead of a social media addict. 

Directors used to let the music/silence and scenery sink in first, instead of moving the movie along to get the plot moving. 

Youtube "Critics" like Cinemasins have also created a negative effect on movies.

Cinema changes. Millennials write in the way millenials consume. Which is great.

No One watches in theaters anymore these traditional new Hollywood inspired big american movies. 

Barbie Is pure gen Z millennials meme comedy and 25% of people never going to cinema in last 5 years went. They are the people that were on Tik Tok and the future of movies consumers. And they want movies there build for them as teens 50 years ago want new languages after the Classic cinema. 

The new hollywood- modernist cinema Is old and boring for them in the same way a Classic movie was old and boring for teen - young people in the 70s.

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WorkingonaName said:

James Cameron is a coward if he doesn't release the 9hr cut of Avatar: The Seed Bearer in theatres. 

"3 hour Avatar movie was too long"

No, Brother Vale has it wrong. It was, in fact, too short.  

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

"3 hour Avatar movie was too long"

No, Brother Vale has it wrong. It was, in fact, too short.  

Yes a batman movie 3 hours long "Always happened".

This "3 hours movies always happened" conversations bringing gone with the Wind and Lawrence d'Arabia make no sense.

Now Marvel movies are 150 minutes long. 

Immagine a producer making a longer than 115 minutes Black panther movie in the 80s-90s.

Edited by vale9001

I had no issues with Indy 5 or MI7’s length. They both flew by. Particularly the latter which lived up to Frosty’s ‘fastest 2 hrs and 40 minutes I’ve ever seen’ mantra. 

There’s nothing I would cut out of either of them.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Cinema changes. Millennials write in the way millenials consume. Which is great.

No One watches in theaters anymore these traditional new Hollywood inspired big american movies. 

Barbie Is pure gen Z millennials meme comedy and 25% of people never going to cinema in last 5 years went. They are the people that were on Tik Tok and the future of movies consumers. And they want movies there build for them as teens 50 years ago want new languages after the Classic cinema. 

The new hollywood- modernist cinema Is old and boring for them in the same way a Classic movie was old and boring for teen - young people in the 70s.

Exactly. The TikTok generation is saving exhibition's ass these days, and they deserve bigger props for that. Ethnically diverse young adults are the only demographic still regularly going to the movies now. Everyone else has either abandoned it or only goes once or twice a year. Minions 2 would've topped out at around Sing 2 numbers if it weren't for the Gentleminions, and Oppenheimer would've performed closer to Dunkirk if it wasn't for Barbenheimer. I rest my case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1