Issac Newton

Weekday #s | Aug 14-17 | Barbie #1 WB Domestic Film of ALL TIME, because it’s what she DESERVES.

43 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m inclined to think so too bc the number (168m I think) doesn’t line up with any ATP we typically use. More like $8 ATP. So must have been a lot of countries with significantly lower prices where it did well, and also maybe a lot of discount/non premium or 3D tix sold since it’s a family film. 

USA & Canada definitely have a much higher cost of living (and much higher movie ticket prices) than a lot of other markets around the world. 

3 minutes ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

The Dark Knight was an insane run, wish it did more to shut up haters.

But, it was a huge deal. ❤️ Christian Bale was at some of his hottest...like, it ate.

It was the second-biggest movie ever made domestically and fourth worldwide. What more do you want?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

USA & Canada definitely have a much higher cost of living (and much higher movie ticket prices) than a lot of other markets around the world. 

I would think a lot of major markets are similarly expensive though. Aus, Western Europe, and Japan come to mind. Japan was a big market for it. 

5 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I’m pretty sure distributors do have access to that data, but it’s not in their best interest to release it usually. 

I’m not so sure that Distributors do. Since the domestic market is all focused on gross, the reporting process is streamlined to just count dollars, not admits. Exhibitors have their own individual admit data, but as far as I know that is not reported/aggregated in any meaningful way

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Avatar is more iconic than TDK, but TDK is the most iconic Batman universe film until Joker: Folie a Deux comes next year.

Well that's...your opinion...my opinion differs.

No doubt Avatar did amazing number box office wise and provided great visuals, but how many people would really say Avatar's their favourite movie.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Amazing thing for Oppenheimer is that it still has a long runway ahead. Let us see how legs go in korea and next week we have italy/greece and then China the week after that. Hopefully we have some early presales for Imax shows in China to gauge the interest. 

I don't think you should bet on China box office like ever. Unpredictable, even before these new political times

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think you should bet on China box office like ever. Unpredictable, even before these new political times

I am not betting any amount. It still exists. Let us wait and see. It could absolutely bomb and make less than 100m yuan like most movies. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Austin said:

Does anybody else feel the urge to play Can You Hear the Music? randomly from Oppenehiemer? Its a part of the score and it lives rent free in my head. I dunno, it just elicits some inexplicable emotions that I crave whenever I play it.

I like playing it around the campus,

• Like 1

No offence but Outside the US The dark knight was just a successfull batman movie 😅

I don't even want to talk about avatar, star wars, Harry Potter, Avengers and these gigantic blockbusters but for example in my country even movies like the renevant, Bohemian Rhapsody, Inception, Frozen, joker were bigger cultural event. And yes also the "merely gigantic hit" Barbie Is just another level of cultural event movie. 

Edited by vale9001

23 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

No offence but Outside the US The dark knight was just a successfull batman movie 😅

I don't even want to talk about avatar, star wars, Harry Potter, Avengers and these gigantic blockbusters but for example in my country even movies like the renevant, Bohemian Rhapsody, Inception, Frozen, joker were bigger cultural event. And yes also the "merely gigantic hit" Barbie Is just another level of cultural event movie. 

Ummm I don't know where you are from, but as far as I know, TDK is pretty damn iconic in Asia.

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

Ummm I don't know where you are from, but as far as I know, TDK is pretty damn iconic in Asia.

Yes, TDK is iconic is Asia mostly thanks to more passionate fanbase but outside of that group, it is still having less significant and accessibility among general public after many years.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

totally agree, I can list at least 1 or 2 films per year that are more iconic than TDK in France.(But we aren't really into superhero movies tbh like the UK for example)

Edited by elothar

I love people that talk nonsense about TDK's run. This was the fourth movie ever to crack a billion WW. It didn't have 3d or other plfs except IMAX, which were still far and few between. A lot of markets were still very underdeveloped compared to recent times, both in terms of average price and overall screen numbers. TDK was absolutely iconic in a lot of markets and was a proper cultural phenomenon. I lived in Eastern Europe then and it was still very much a hugely impactful event in real life, not on internet boards.

A lot of people on this board throw words around like bomb, flop, culturally insignificant and so on without any real consideration for reality. Most billion dollar movies capture the zeitgeist in one way or another. Except Alice in Wonderland. That is just a wtf 3D wave rising abomination.

• Like 6