kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

18 minutes ago, El Gato said:

You think the hurricane in CA will affect the gross for Blue Beetle? CA is 40% Latino so I think it’ll have an impact unfortunately 

Potentially? But I believe it's not supposed to hit until Sunday night.

7 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It unfortunately just isn't breaking out of the baseline Turtles audience. This is what happens when you open so soon after a mega event film. Audiences of today just don't have the money to go see anything inbetween Endgame-level events. The art style being a lot more... scribbly than its peers isn't helping either. This really would've been better served in December, but it is what it is. As I've said before though, it only cost $70M, and being a lower-budget fan-driven franchise isn't too bad of a fate for the Turtles. Michael Bay poisoned the well so much I'm shocked so many in this forum want him back on Transformers.

To be fair Bay just produced those films. The same way he produced A Quiet Place 1&2. Also the 90s Turtle films and TMNT all got the same kind of reviews as 2014 and 2016 versions so I doubt they did much damage. Mutant Mayhem just didn’t interest audiences this time around.

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What meme? I'm not aware of it and now I'm curious

In latin american countries, there's a viral meme going on where you start a conversation of anything ramdom or a comment of whatever on the YouTube comment section, you have to end that comment with the phrase "...And remember guys, Blue Beetle. August 18th, only in theaters".

This meme started as a joke to make fun of the movie, but as time went on, DC fans took the meme and used it as a way to promote the movie because they though WB isn't doing their job at marketing the movie, so they did themselves.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

In latin american countries, there's a viral meme going on where you start a conversation of anything ramdom or a comment of whatever on the YouTube comment section, you have to end that with the phrase "...And remember guys, Blue Beetle. August 18th, only in theaters".

This meme started as a joke to make fun of the movie, but as time went on, DC fans took the meme and used it as a way to promote the movie because they though WB isn't doing their job at marketing the movie, so they did themselves.

Well with the way BB is performing in Europe, it’s going to need Latin America to do a lot  of the heavy lifting, especially with no China and Korea not really liking DC.

12 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Potentially? But I believe it's not supposed to hit until Sunday night.

That’s when I go see Blue Beetle! Lol though to be fair I bought the tickets before the hurricane was even a thing lol! Just my luck oh well, it’s only rain after all 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

It unfortunately just isn't breaking out of the baseline Turtles audience. This is what happens when you open so soon after a mega event film. Audiences of today just don't have the money to go see anything inbetween Endgame-level events. The art style being a lot more... scribbly than its peers isn't helping either. This really would've been better served in December, but it is what it is. As I've said before though, it only cost $70M, and being a lower-budget fan-driven franchise isn't too bad of a fate for the Turtles. Michael Bay poisoned the well so much I'm shocked so many in this forum want him back on Transformers.

Michael Bay knows how to direct action scenes. The VFX from the first Transformers released 16 years ago is better than 90% of movies released today. Transformers in the new movie look like the size of toys, there is no spectacle, which is why it flopped hard. 

A nostalgic Bayformers movie with the OG cast would make bank, Gen Z is nostalgic for the Bayformers movie.

Most people have forgotten the Bayturtles films exist, so that obviously didn’t have an effect. The new TMNT underperformed because Barbenheimer sucked all the air out of the room.

• Like 1

Wait am I reading this right? Hurricane in CA? My knowledge of Pacific hurricanes is limited seeing as I'm from Australia and I have heard of California being impacted by tropical storms or ex-hurricanes but this is a pretty rare event right? 

1 minute ago, Fanboy said:

Wait am I reading this right? Hurricane in CA? My knowledge of Pacific hurricanes is limited seeing as I'm from Australia and I have heard of California being impacted by tropical storms or ex-hurricanes but this is a pretty rare event right? 

Technically no hurricane has ever made landfall in CA. Last tropical storm was 90 years ago.

• Astonished 1

6 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Does anyone even know if this is doing well in Latin America? I don't really see them giving a shit about it outside of maybe Mexico.

They've literally put the hottest young Brazilian actress in it(as the love interest I think?), I guess to appeal to the Brazilian market. So I'd keep an eye on our number, although I haven't heard anyone even mentioning this movie over here... But I work at home and actively try not to pay attention to local news, so what do I even know.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nah, they’re both too demanding with their films. Ego clash waiting to happen. 

Well now you're saying it should happen so we can get pure chaos and pandemonium. That's an inviting ticket, lemme tell ya.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

Weather is doing all kinds of funky weird thing this year in many parts of the world, I wonder why.

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Technically no hurricane has ever made landfall in CA. Last tropical storm was 90 years ago.

It's most likely NOT going to hit CA as a hurricane, but it's going to be very close. It's definitely hitting as a Tropical Storm.

If Nolan’s career had blown up just a few years earlier he definitely would’ve done a movie with Cruise before he went fully into control freak mode. Like if Inception was made in 2004 Cruise would’ve been the lead 100%.

• Like 1

Just came back from the movies (Blue Beetle is amazing) and was talking to one of the employees. She said the theater may close early Sunday due to the tropical storm. Anyone in the LA/OC/SD area hear anything similar? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

If Nolan’s career had blown up just a few years earlier he definitely would’ve done a movie with Cruise before he went fully into control freak mode. Like if Inception was made in 2004 Cruise would’ve been the lead 100%.

Inception in 04: Cruise in the lead, Natalie Portman as Page's role, Juliette Binonche as Marion Cottilard, Jude Law as Hardy, that's all I got.

• Like 1