kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think No Way Home is the best MCU movie.

It was funny I remember when no way home came out, it seemed to be unanimously loved, even by people here. I spoke to people in real life and I actually had two people tell me it was the best film they'd ever seen. They were around 16 and 17 years old. Now all of a sudden it's a horrible piece of shit LOL yeah I don't buy it.

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

It was funny I remember when no way home came out, it seemed to be unanimously loved, even by people here. I spoke to people in real life and I actually had two people tell me it was the best film they'd ever seen. They were around 16 and 17 years old. Now all of a sudden it's a horrible piece of shit LOL yeah I don't buy it.

Hype can blind people I let hype to make me me believe spiderman 3 was good the first time I saw it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

NWH loses a little bit of luster outside of the theater experience. Filled with stupid character decisions and of course Jon Watt's dull, bland direction but it is still pretty good because for the most part it does the fan service well, gives Peter Parker an actual arc with some real human  drama, and is the only MCU Spider-Man movie to feel like Spider-Man while the other one's were "Iron Man's sidekick". I have no idea why people like the first two. The second one especially. How the hell did people give that one a pass especially after Spider-Verse?  Hey, MCU, did you know Spidey has the coolest powers of any of your characters? How about let him do his thing without fucking drone glasses and other lame domestic terrorism gadgets from his misguided dead buddy?

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

The fact that Fincher, Scorsese, Miyazaki, Michael Mann, Ridley Scott are all releasing new movies this year is giving me reason to go over their filmographies which will probably occupy the rest of the year for me. 

Also will go over my favourite WDAS films plus all the COVID era ones which I frankly haven't rewatched in anticipation for Wish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I spoke to people in real life and I actually had two people tell me it was the best film they'd ever seen. They were around 16 and 17 years old. 

This age tells me all I need to know. Most teenagers haven’t seen many movies to know the difference and often are wowed more by superhero movies than something like Oppenheimer for example. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

First time I saw the trailer for strays I was kind of mortified. The only hook for the whole movie seem to be animated animals saying fuck and shit. It starts off about dogs that have been abandoned by their owners. Hardly a kid friendly or a pet owner kind of film. I'll never see this piece of shit and I hope it dies a fast and disastrous death. 

Funny thing, when I spoke to my Mom today she had told me she had just gone  to see Strays and found out it was R and saw something else instead. I don’t think she had ever seen trailers, but basically said she wanted to see a cute comedy about talking animals and had no interest in raunchy talking animals lol. The whole premise for it is strange, who is it targeting? This is why comedies are failing. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, John Marston said:

NWH loses a little bit of luster outside of the theater experience. Filled with stupid character decisions and of course Jon Watt's dull, bland direction but it is still pretty good because for the most part it does the fan service well, gives Peter Parker an actual arc with some real human  drama, and is the only MCU Spider-Man movie to feel like Spider-Man while the other one's were "Iron Man's sidekick". I have no idea why people like the first two. The second one especially. How the hell did people give that one a pass especially after Spider-Verse?  Hey, MCU, did you know Spidey has the coolest powers of any of your characters? How about let him do his thing without fucking drone glasses and other lame domestic terrorism gadgets from his misguided dead buddy?

FFH is pretty terrible, I too was rather shocked critics/audiences didn’t have big time gripes. Everything involving Mysterio is just awful (give me Venom in SM3 over this), and when it’s not being awful it’s just being boring. 

HC nails teenage high school dramedy, which is kind of what Spidey from the comics should be. Holland is incredibly charismatic in it too, and so are all the performances honestly. For that alone, it’s nearly the best live action one. Obviously Verse movies wipe the floor with all of the LAs, but I count them as a separate thing. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

FFH is pretty terrible, I too was rather shocked critics/audiences didn’t have big time gripes. Everything involving Mysterio is just awful (give me Venom in SM3 over this), and when it’s not being awful it’s just being boring. 

HC nails teenage high school dramedy, which is kind of what Spidey from the comics should be. Holland is incredibly charismatic in it too, and so are all the performances honestly. For that alone, it’s nearly the best live action one. Obviously Verse movies wipe the floor with all of the LAs, but I count them as a separate thing. 

Most people don’t care how comics accurate a comic book movie is. 

• Like 5

I didn't watch Tom Holland's Spiderman movies because he's just very bland of an actor for me. Though I do think he fits the role of the Peter Parker he's playing. Tobey Maguire is still very much the definition of Spiderman for me even though I was very young when I watched his movies. And Andrew Garfield is just hot. 

3 hours ago, baumer said:

First time I saw the trailer for strays I was kind of mortified. The only hook for the whole movie seem to be animated animals saying fuck and shit. It starts off about dogs that have been abandoned by their owners. Hardly a kid friendly or a pet owner kind of film. I'll never see this piece of shit and I hope it dies a fast and disastrous death. 

I think a studio could make a good comedy about foul-mouthed dogs; but it absolutely cannot be centered around human cruelty to animals. They might get by if it were some sort of Home Alone parody and the dogs had to defend their home from burglars. If the dogs were involved in some sort of hijinks or maybe even a caper, it could work. The premise for Strays, however, is simply a non-starter for a lot of people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think a studio could make a good comedy about foul-mouthed dogs; but it absolutely cannot be centered around human cruelty to animals. They might get by if it were some sort of Home Alone parody and the dogs had to defend their home from burglars. If the dogs were involved in some sort of hijinks or maybe even a caper, it could work. The premise for Strays, however, is simply a non-starter for a lot of people. 

Well, one of the biggest box office successes of the year, Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was an action comedy centred around human cruelty/testing on animals. It was really difficult to watch those scenes but they really pulled off the emotional arc.

• Like 1