kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

Somewhat interesting that NCD is moving from a Saturday last year to a Sunday this year. Drops should be minimal this week and we might even see some increases from Saturday, except for Oppenheimer which will almost certainly take a hit with AMC and Regal lowering those $20+ IMAX 70mm prices down to $4.

8 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Somewhat interesting that NCD is moving from a Saturday last year to a Sunday this year. Drops should be minimal this week and we might even see some increases from Saturday, except for Oppenheimer which will almost certainly take a hit with AMC and Regal lowering those $20+ IMAX 70mm prices down to $4.

I wonder if the move both a week earlier and a Sunday is due to The Equalizer 3? I think Sony would want that to sell at full pricing whereas they don't care as much for GT.

12 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Zaslav was vindicated when he removed low watched HBOMAX shows when other streamers started doing, most notably Netflix, and now is being vindicated on writing off Batgirl

There's absolutely no vindication in erasing movies/shows from existence all in the name a tax break or whatever.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if the move both a week earlier and a Sunday is due to The Equalizer 3? I think Sony would want that to sell at full pricing whereas they don't care as much for GT.

Pretty much, yeah. Aside from Shang-Chi during COVID recovery, Equalizer 3 is arguably the most high-profile movie to be planted on the usually dumpy Labor Day weekend in forever.

46 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Oppenheimer made $1.3m from IMAX this weekend, out of $10.6m total. That's about 12 percent? The Sunday estimate is $3.23m, 12.25 percent of that is about $395K. Maybe a Cinema Day boost will be enough to counteract the erasure of the inflated IMAX prices.

44 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

That and some theaters got a bit out of hand last year with security issues. Maybe Cinema Day on a random Sunday (instead of a holiday weekend Saturday) adds a level of crowd control: more people having work/school on Monday, so the attendance is pushed to earlier hours, minimizes the late night rowdy teen issues theaters get on Saturdays (except places where schools haven't started yet I guess).

National Cinema Day this year isn't that much cheaper than a Discount Tuesday ticket price usually is this year, in addition to being on a Sunday (business will naturally slow down as the day goes on). Definitely feels like a response to the widespread crowd control issues (along with those drawn out by the cheap tickets not to see a movie but to engage in attention-seeking behavior) from last year.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

National Cinema Day this year isn't that much cheaper than a Discount Tuesday ticket price usually is this year, in addition to being on a Sunday (business will naturally slow down as the day goes on). Definitely feels like a response to the widespread crowd control issues (along with those drawn out by the cheap tickets not to see a movie but to engage in attention-seeking behavior) from last year.

But aren't a better crowd control is to simply extend the CD, let say for another day?

12 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Zaslav was vindicated when he removed low watched HBOMAX shows when other streamers started doing, most notably Netflix, and now is being vindicated on writing off Batgirl

Netflix has never removed an original because it was low watched.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

But aren't a better crowd control is to simply extend the CD, let say for another day?

Extending it another day lessens the exclusivity of it all. Last year was a test run for this whole experiment, now that they have an idea what they could expect everyone can plan accordingly.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Sony themselves have said their strategy for GT is having the audiences sell it (WOM), hence the many, many EA shows it’s had. If anything, they are probably hoping to get as many butts in seats as possible on Sunday to help propel WOM into its 2nd weekend, which is also the Labour Day long weekend. 

Will it work? That’s anyone’s guess. 
But it currently has 98% verified audience on RT with 250+ reviews, so maybe they are on to something?

43 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Then it's National Cinema Weekend. Then National Cinema Week. Then before you know it, everyone will want 4 dollar tickets all day, every day, and it will be anarchy!

GIF by Giffffr

6 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Then it's National Cinema Weekend. Then National Cinema Week. Then before you know it, everyone will want 4 dollar tickets all day, every day, and it will be anarchy!

GIF by Giffffr

But many countries overseas out there have multiple days for their cinema weeks. Brazil, Spain all have their cinema week run for entire weekend.