Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Only $2m away from matching DH2 and becoming the highest grossing WB's movie ever.

Barbie beating Mario WW means the added bonus of beath DH2 WW.

DH2 OS numbers are incredible but DOM was so disappointing after OW, it never broke out from the diehard fans. 2.25 OW multipler is really bad legs for a family film.

Edited by Mojoguy

28 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

You kid but I think tiered pricing could genuinely save smaller fare including romcoms and comedies at cinemas. Maybe not as less as $4 though.

I agree - but you know theaters will go the opposite way, and just overcharge blockbusters, which will still leave no one at rom coms and comedies while decreasing the blockbuster audience, too...b/c they never think less, they only think more...

36 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Many films would end up in the 290s including New Moon and Man of Steel. Twilight Saga: Eclipse needed a Bella's Birthday special re-release to touch 300M.

lmao wat

People actually remember her birthday?

Just now, Eric the Car said:

lmao wat

That was just a lame marketing tool.

Only real Eclipse hit 300 was because it was the only Twilight film shown on IMAX. Being in summer also helped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

For those of you who were following back then. Why did Inception not hit 300M?

It's weird. At the time I felt like it was a cultural phenomenon. At least in the fact that after the movie people were using the word inception to describe anything that's confusing and multilayered. It also felt like everyone around me watched it, more so than Nolan's other movies at least.

8 minutes ago, Eric the Car said:

lmao wat

I mean, Twilight fans were pretty crazy from what I remembered. I found Twilight novels in my younger brother's room even though he's usually only into gaming and cars, all the typical boy stuffs.

I was dragged as a kid to the theater for the first twilight, and then never saw any of the sequels. But my mom loved them.

I don't think I hated the first one at the time, but it just seemed so lame. And I'm a boy.

I do remember thinking Kristen Stewart was hot and then being vindicated ~10 years later.

6hS8Ia4.jpg

d2NamIj.jpg

There are some interesting scheduling choices today. The above seating charts are from an AMC IMAX screen in suburban KC for this afternoon. The first is the 1:15pm Oppenheimer and the second is the 5:15pm Gran Turismo. I am still skeptical of Oppenheimer hitting $300M today but I am even more skeptical of GT winning the weekend. This AMC certainly has the wrong movie playing at 5:15pm.

Gran Turismo could match its 60M budget domestically, which is another ok/not terrible gross for Sony this year. Aside from Spider-Verse their year has been largely bleh. Equalizer should turn a decent profit as long as it doesn't drop too much from the last two, but it won't be anything outstanding.

Just now, LonePirate said:

6hS8Ia4.jpg

d2NamIj.jpg

There are some interesting scheduling choices today. The above seating charts are from an AMC IMAX screen in suburban KC for this afternoon. The first is the 1:15pm Oppenheimer and the second is the 5:15pm Gran Turismo. I am still skeptical of Oppenheimer hitting $300M today but I am even more skeptical of GT winning the weekend. This AMC certainly has the wrong movie playing at 5:15pm.

That's why I feel like NCD isn't necessarily helping Oppenheimer. Given the limited screens because of its length and having to give up some IMAX screens, I feel like in a lot of places Oppenheimer capacity would still be relatively full. So I am not sure in the increase in admissions really can offset the reduced ticket prices.

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

6hS8Ia4.jpg

d2NamIj.jpg

GT not selling out the IMAX tickets even at $4 price is really sad. Not much interest for sure.