Giorno

9/29-10/1 Weekend Thread

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Too bad Dumb Money is flopping so hard upon wide expansion. I saw it last weekend and it was an entertaining, if largely lacking depth, take on a major story from not too long ago with strong performances from the entire starry cast (I'm convinced Paul Dano would've eventually found his way to becoming a YouTube personality if he hadn't proven himself to be a highly skilled actor :lol:).

But it was always going to struggle between being way too soon for a true story period piece set during the COVID era, no awards buzz, and, yes, the aforementioned starry cast being unable to do any press for it.

Yeah i knew the $5m-8m weekend forecast for that was an absolute prayer

4 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

As a huge sci fi fan, serious sci fi sadly isn't in these days. Unless your movie is directed by Cameron. I wish we could receive a million more original sci fi epics.

Sadly NOT. The Martian was successfull, Ex Machina for its budget was successfull. It depends. And there are Streaming Services. Did you watch Severance?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Sadly NOT. The Martian was successfull, Ex Machina for its budget was successfull. It depends. And there are Streaming Services. Did you watch Severance?

Space sci-fi is definitely a different beast. Plenty of hits to be had there

But dystopian sci-fi like Blade Runner and The Creator now, for whatever reason, does not interest general audiences. I wonder if they think it's looks similar to our actual world, but too "weird" to the point that it's uncomfortable or a turnoff

Edited by Pinacolada

17 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

The Martian and Ex Machina were back in 2015. Sci fi seemed to have a resurgance during that period thanks to Star Trek and Avatar in 2009. I was hoping that Avatar 2 last year would have brought a new resurgence.

I have not heard of Severance, but I'll have to look it up. 

6 hours ago, John2015 said:

The Creater should also be a streaming movie.

No movie should , no matter how bad they are, should be a streaming movie. If they flop, let them flop on big screen. And every movie will be a streaming movie eventually, why the rush?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Uhh lol The Martian and Ex Machina were really, really good movies with enticing concepts and not some pretty-but-boring Gareth Edwards flick. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Comparison:

SAW (2004)C+
SAW II (2005)B+
SAW III (2006)B
SAW IV (2007)B
SAW V (2008)C
SAW VI (2009)B
SAW 3D: THE FINAL CHAPTER (2010)B-
JIGSAW (2017)B
SPIRAL (2021)B-

Isn't it ironic the best movie in the franchise got nearly the lowest CS? Just shows how unreliable it is.

6 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Isn't it ironic the best movie in the franchise got nearly the lowest CS? Just shows how unreliable it is.

Cinemascore is reliable for ongoing franchises, just likely not the first of a franchise which built on word of mouth. Cinemascore pretty much measures how much a movie matches it's marketing, and the first Saw was unlike anything till that point, a big departure from existing form is always a hard sell. The audience reactions were split down the middle at the time (even though most of the gore in the first Saw is implied rather than shown). Luckily the people who loved it really loved it and started some great word of mouth among horror fans.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Don't even know if the pink doggie is the main character but they put her front and center on the poster to capitalize on Barbiecore feminism. How insidious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg8DS2TC8ognV_IjB2aw1

That's Skye/Mighty Skye. Very popular among girls, I know because my daughter has so much Skye stuff I wonder where it comes from. Skye was the only female dog on the paw patrol till they expanded the team with new characters, so she's obviously a magnet for little girls who watch the show. My daughter is slowly growing out of the Paw Patrol target demo but still loves Skye.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Not saying it doesn't have flaws but if taken into consideration alongside other metrics it can usually provide a decent indicator, but there are exceptions of course. Pinch of salt regarding reliability when comparing to years gone by (is it really almost 20 years since 2004?!) as people may have applied ratings differently compared to now.

I do agree the original is of course a masterpiece in retrospect and it is criminal to have missed out on the A+ 😉

9 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

. Various factors can lead to that.

TDK is a very beloved film that has stood test of time and has A . About four MCU movies have A+ but do you hear them getting the same level of praise.

Audiences go with different expectations in films . CS gauges reception of the audience at that time . 

Hereditary got a D and did pretty well . How disturbing it was definitely a factor that contributed.

CS really works different for all types genres.

Getting an A is so rare in horror. Anywhere B to D can work for a horror.  What may scare you may be tame for another and not register. 

CS is definitely one of the most reliable  metrics when it comes audience reception. It has done it again and again.

Once again it's not perfect , it's just  the most reliable we've got . They will always be outliers to any system.

What you doing here is looking at that one outlier and using it as something to say how unreliable it is and ignoring all the other instances that have proved CS as a reliable metric for guaging audience reception.

• Like 1