147 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Avengers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I was 10. I've seen it like four times since, last time being two days ago.

Exactly. So your love and passion for it were seared into your young soul, when you cared not a whit for such critical thought. (Nothing wrong with that, it happens to all of us). Now nostalgia blurs away the flaws; the majesty of the great stuff obscures the rest.

Exactly. So your love and passion for it were seared into your young soul, when you cared not a whit for such critical thought. (Nothing wrong with that, it happens to all of us). Now nostalgia blurs away the flaws; the majesty of the great stuff obscures the rest.

Very poetic. 

I dont know, opinions change over time. I'm about to turn 17, maybe when I'm old and bitter like you I'll see the flaws more clearly

:P

• Like 2

As I said I did watch this again third time at home 4th time overall last night!!!

Such a blast the action scenes are so well done not because of the CGI because they are a great blend of action and comedy and character interactions.

Looking at it now I can acknowledged some of the plot points could have been handled better however I sort of liked of how Whedon did get a lot of character development in the middle of the film. To me this film is like the old fun blockbusters where you can watch again and again and again

I will likely watch this again in a few months, already watched the film 4 times in a year. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Had a quick viewing again of the film, to compare it to Man of Steel in terms of plausability, action, and overall audience engagement.

No matter how much I tried, I just wasn't very engaged in the film. I didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters or the film itself.

The action and effects had some nice scenes, but also a lot of very average scenes in terms of effects quality.

Various character and plot details continued to take me out of the film, as they were just too silly and too contrived, just for the sake of the whole "team" aspect of the film.

I cringed at some of the dialogue, the worst being Nick Fury's dialogue throughout the film.

I am convinced much of the film's box office success was powered by repeat viewings of rabid females that were in love with all the male actors in the film.

Edited by ACCA

I am convinced much of the film's box office success was powered by repeat viewings of rabid females that were in love with all the male actors in the film.

I can't even tell if you're joking (I'd hope you are?) but either way you're remarkably myopic.
  • Like 2

I can't even tell if you're joking (I'd hope you are?) but either way you're remarkably myopic.

Rabid females have single-handedly powered entire franchises to great success, such as the Twilight franchise.

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it. From my informal research, most average people liked Avengers because of the whole team up of superheroes which was a first on this scale on film, and females being hot over many of the male leads.

Edited by ACCA

Because YOU didn't like The Avengers, you need to justify why it made so much money, and you use the most superficial idea possible. No movie sells 60m+ tickets domestically because girls think Chris Hemsworth is hot. I'm not even entertaining this idea. Look at this thread, look at the RT score, look at the A+ Cinemascore, ACCA- lots of people genuinely loved The Avengers. Just accept it didn't work for you and get over it.

• Like 3

Because YOU didn't like The Avengers, you need to justify why it made so much money, and you use the most superficial idea possible.No movie sells 60m+ tickets domestically because girls think Chris Hemsworth is hot. I'm not even entertaining this idea. Look at this thread, look at the RT score, look at the A+ Cinemascore, ACCA- lots of people genuinely loved The Avengers. Just accept it didn't work for you and get over it.

I know lots of people loved it. Did you even read what I posted? It's like we're communicating in two different planes of existence or something :wacko:.

The team-up and the humor is why people love it. Are there girls that are in love with Hemsworth and Hiddleston? Yep, but a big part of that is the humor in the Avengers and Thor films.

There you go, that's essentially what I'm getting at.

Rabid females have single-handedly powered entire franchises to great success, such as the Twilight franchise.

That's my guess and I'm sticking with it. From my informal research, most average people liked Avengers because of the whole team up of superheroes which was a first on this scale on film, and females being hot over many of the male leads.

Are you kidding me? And Avengers is supposed to be awful like Twilight movies because of that? Because MoS doesn't have females swoon and squim over Henry Cavill's bod? I mean there's a line especially made to hammer that on our heads and catter to female audience. "I think he's kinda hot".

I know that the fact that MoS is under fire of critics right now makes you feel the urge of piling on Avengers just to feel better. Get a grip, there are both just popcorn summer movies.

I know lots of people loved it. Did you even read what I posted? It's like we're communicating in two different planes of existence or something :wacko:.

I totally didn't get that read from your post, but whatever. Let's stop fighting and just start over. Hi, I'm Gopher, I really like movies. My favorite superhero movies are The Dark Knight, The Avengers and Catwoman.
  • Like 1

The action scenes are amazing. Awesome. Delightful. Wonderful. The rest varies from good (Goldblum, some of the Samuel L. Jackson and Attenborough stuff) to gooey (practically anything with the kids). I love the movie, but it's become this hallowed vision of perfection when it isn't really.

The screenplay and acting (aside from the awesome Goldblum) is just average in JP, I agree. But the score, action, sound and special effects more than make up for it. I think the main reason people hold it in such high esteem is that it was the last of the golden age of blockbusters. For some reason Hollywood abandoned a sense of wonder and awe in their movies after JP and became overly cynical (as well as too reliant on CG). Aside from possibly the LOTR trilogy, I can't think of any films since JP that have come close to capturing that magic. Even Spielberg is no longer interested in making films like that (as seen by the failure of TLW and KOTCS to match their predecessors).

But back to TA. Still awesome :)