grim22

It’s Me. Hi. I’m The Eras Tour Weekend Thread | 39M Friday

55 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Is TFM being "released twice" really a good argument when TS has released multiple versions of almost every album in her discography? The fact of the matter is many albums were released or re-issued in the same era as TFM and didn't accrue nearly as many units. Taylor also has a fanbase that will buy copies in bulk, and buy ten or more copies of a single album to complete a clock artwork or inflate Taylor's sales. A lot of big Taylor songs aren't as well known outside of her fanbase as it appears, because she has many diehards engaging in bulk buying a la BTS fans. Gaga's popularity is being highly underrated in this thread due to recency bias:

Yes, it's an argument considering it's quite a unique situation. We're talking about a re-issue with multiple worldwide hits, with arguably her biggest ever hit. It's not really the same thing as releasing a standard deluxe edition, or 10 years later releasing a new recording of the same songs as before.

I'm sure there has been a lot of re-issues close to TFM, to not as big of a success, but that doesn't make it the same. The fact that sales of these albums are combined absolutely do inflate the albums overall popularity in a way that's not comparable with any other album I can remember.

While it's certainly true that a lot of Taylor's songs aren't known outside of her fanbase, it's also true that a some of her songs are very well known outside of her fanbase. I have a hard time believing songs like Blank Space, Shake it Off and Love Story aren't known outside of her fans.

Anyway, let's go down that road for a minute. Taylor is at her absolute peak of popularity now. I'd think that the way people consumes music these days are quite drastically different to how people consumed music 15 years ago (or even 10 years ago). Today I would think people to a much higher degree listens to exactly the music they want to listen to because of streaming. When Gaga's was at her peak, I'd think that much more people consumed music in a way where they didn't decide what they would listen to. Which is a reason why I would think a lot of the biggest songs from 10-15 years ago are actually more widely known than their counterparts from the past years are (not because they were bigger songs, but because the shape of the music industry has changed).

I'm not saying Gaga wasn't huge, she obviously was, Taylor is just in a different league. No shame in being less popular than the biggest ever female artist - everyone else is in the same boat.

Edited by Dale Cooper
  • Like 1

According to a NATO/Cinema Foundation survey of 6,000 moviegoers, 72% of film fans want to see more concert movies on the big screen.

1.) Taylor Swift: Eras Tour (AMC) 3,850 theaters, Fri $39M, Sat $32.3M Sun $23.7M-$25.7M 3-day $95M-$97M/Wk 1

2.) Exorcist: The Believer (Uni) Fri $3.8M (-68%) Sat $4.4M Sun $2.7M 3-day $11M, -58%, Total $48.6M/Wk 2

3.) Paw Patrol 2 (Par) 3,707 (-320) theaters, Fri $1.56M (-46%) Sat $3.3M Sun $2.1M, $7M (-38%) Total $49.9M/Wk 3

4.) Saw X (LG) 3,058 (-204) theaters, Fri $1.8M Sat $2.4M Sun $1.5M 3-day $5.7M (-27%) Total $41.4M/Wk 3

5.) The Creator (New Reg/20th)2,960 theaters (-720), Fri $1.16M (-34%), Sat $1.9M Sun $1.2M 3-day $4.3M (-31%), Total $32.4M/Wk 3

6.) A Haunting in Venice (Dis) 2,290 (-135) theaters Fri $580K (-24%) Sat $908K Sun $564K 3-day $2.05M (-24%)/Total $38.99M/Wk 5

7.) The Blind (Fath) 1,165 (-142) theaters Fri $532K Sat $851K Sun $638K , 3-day $2M (-38%), Total $13.9M/Wk 3

8.) The Nun 2 (NL) 2,128 theaters (-364), Fri $500K (-33%) Sat $715K Sun $400K 3-day $1.61M (-38%) Total $83.7M/Wk 6

9.) Equalizer 3 (Sony) 1,524 (-2) theaters Fri $266k (-49%) Sat $440K Sun $254K 3-day $960K (-47%), Total: $90.5M /Wk 7

10.) Dumb Money (Sony) 2,276 (-561) theaters, Fri $260K (-61%) Sat $415k Sun $245K 3-day $920K (-57%), Total $12.6M/Wk 5

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

$85m worldwide for The Exorcist: Believer after a $15.9m international weekend and The Nun II passed $250m ($257.2m). 

Great weekend for horror! With FNAF 10 days from now, this year might just be dubbed the year of horror when all is said and done

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dale Cooper said:

Yes, it's an argument considering it's quite a unique situation. We're talking about a re-issue with multiple worldwide hits, with arguably her biggest ever hit. It's not really the same thing as releasing a standard deluxe edition, or 10 years later releasing a new recording of the same songs as before.

I'm sure there has been a lot of re-issues close to TFM, to not as big of a success, but that doesn't make it the same. The fact that sales of these albums are combined absolutely do inflate the albums overall popularity in a way that's not comparable with any other album I can remember.

While it's certainly true that a lot of Taylor's songs aren't known outside of her fanbase, it's also true that a some of her songs are very well known outside of her fanbase. I have a hard time believing songs like Blank Space, Shake it Off and Love Story aren't known outside of her fans.

Anyway, let's go down that road for a minute. Taylor is at her absolute peak of popularity now. I'd think that the way people consumes music these days are quite drastically different to how people consumed music 15 years ago (or even 10 years ago). Today I would think people to a much higher degree listens to exactly the music they want to listen to because of streaming. When Gaga's was at her peak, I'd think that much more people consumed music in a way where they didn't decide what they would listen to. Which is a reason why I would think a lot of the biggest songs from 10-15 years ago are actually more widely known than their counterparts from the past years are (not because they were bigger songs, but because the shape of the music industry has changed).

I'm not saying Gaga wasn't huge, she obviously was, Taylor is just in a different league. No shame in being less popular than the biggest ever female artist - everyone else is in the same boat.

The biggest female artist ever is Madonna and in terms of cultural impact and fame in their primes Swift is behind a bunch of other women.

Edited by Reed121
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

The biggest female artist ever is Madonna and in terms of cultural impact and fame in their primes Swift is behind a bunch of other women.

This is the biggest peak we've ever seen from a female artist right now. I would somewhat agree that Taylor needs to sustain her popularity for another decade in order to overall be bigger than Madonna.

Either way, there's certainly not a bunch of other women she's behind. No chance whatsoever.

Edited by Dale Cooper

18 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

According to a NATO/Cinema Foundation survey of 6,000 moviegoers, 72% of film fans want to see more concert movies on the big screen.

1.) Taylor Swift: Eras Tour (AMC) 3,850 theaters, Fri $39M, Sat $32.3M Sun $23.7M-$25.7M 3-day $95M-$97M/Wk 1

2.) Exorcist: The Believer (Uni) Fri $3.8M (-68%) Sat $4.4M Sun $2.7M 3-day $11M, -58%, Total $48.6M/Wk 2

3.) Paw Patrol 2 (Par) 3,707 (-320) theaters, Fri $1.56M (-46%) Sat $3.3M Sun $2.1M, $7M (-38%) Total $49.9M/Wk 3

4.) Saw X (LG) 3,058 (-204) theaters, Fri $1.8M Sat $2.4M Sun $1.5M 3-day $5.7M (-27%) Total $41.4M/Wk 3

5.) The Creator (New Reg/20th)2,960 theaters (-720), Fri $1.16M (-34%), Sat $1.9M Sun $1.2M 3-day $4.3M (-31%), Total $32.4M/Wk 3

6.) A Haunting in Venice (Dis) 2,290 (-135) theaters Fri $580K (-24%) Sat $908K Sun $564K 3-day $2.05M (-24%)/Total $38.99M/Wk 5

7.) The Blind (Fath) 1,165 (-142) theaters Fri $532K Sat $851K Sun $638K , 3-day $2M (-38%), Total $13.9M/Wk 3

8.) The Nun 2 (NL) 2,128 theaters (-364), Fri $500K (-33%) Sat $715K Sun $400K 3-day $1.61M (-38%) Total $83.7M/Wk 6

9.) Equalizer 3 (Sony) 1,524 (-2) theaters Fri $266k (-49%) Sat $440K Sun $254K 3-day $960K (-47%), Total: $90.5M /Wk 7

10.) Dumb Money (Sony) 2,276 (-561) theaters, Fri $260K (-61%) Sat $415k Sun $245K 3-day $920K (-57%), Total $12.6M/Wk 5

They are underestimating sunday for eras tour..

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I disagree re Taylor’s dominance. In Europe she is not as big, imo, as Beyoncé, Adele and Coldplay.  Maybe even the Weekend. Surely she can sell out stadium but I don’t think she is regarded as high as the rest. 

Even if they were bigger in Europe that's not enough for them to overcome the difference in the rest of the world.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

I disagree re Taylor’s dominance. In Europe she is not as big, imo, as Beyoncé, Adele and Coldplay.  Maybe even the Weekend. Surely she can sell out stadium but I don’t think she is regarded as high as the rest. 

shes probably bigger in china alone than they are in europe, she's unfathomably massive there

Edited by Bobzaruni

6 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

shes probably bigger in china alone than they are in europe, she's unfathomably massive there

Yep. 2nd biggest artist ever in China. Not 2nd biggest international artist, I’m talking all artists. The only one with more sales is Chinese singer Jay Chou.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Whether she's highly regarded or not is another question entirely. She's comfortably more popular in Europe than Beyonce, Adele is possibly more popular in UK but not in the rest of Europe. Coldplay is hard to say, they are a touring force surely and their current tour is huge. 

‘Taylor Swift: Eras Tour’: Swifties Drop Everything Now For Concert Pic’s Global Opening, Shelling Out $126M-$130M

Taylor Swift: Eras Tour may have missed the century mark in regards to a domestic opening, but the 12x Grammy winner was always guaranteed that number worldwide, with AMC reporting this AM that the Sam Wrench directed concert pic has racked up $126M-$130M.

AMC is calling the domestic opening between $95M-$97M, however, rival studios see it lower at $94.3M. At the latter level, it’s the second best opening for October stateside. Anything north of Joker‘s $96.2M stateside debut is an October domestic B.O. opening record