Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Where's the proof, though? I see people saying this, but people were claiming this movie couldn't get as high of an opening weekend as it seems to be getting now.

For starters, I’m not “people” …

The primary evidence is a drop from TFri to Sat, something that is fairly rare except for the very most frontloaded openings, but has now happened to each of Universal’s October d&d releases - that’s not a coincidence! (For the record, FNAF probably drops w/o streaming, just not -20%)

Assuming a very modest -5% loss to streaming on Thur & Fri and looking at comparable titles and their daily weekend patterns, I came up with a ballpark of 15% total reduction on OW. Maybe it’s only like 12-13% - we’ll never know for sure - but in that range. Which means a ~$77M opening for FNAF would have been $87M+, and with a (below average) ATP of $11M, that’s pushing up to if not over 1M admits

And then legs are likely to be absolute garbage, losing another ~1M over the rest of the run 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why are all you folks so anti-streaming? That, coupled with the FNAF surprise makes me think this forum is full of old people.

Why do we need to pro-streaming then? A movie run in the theater was only 1-2, or some 3-4 months but then they got to stay on streaming forever after that! Unlike theater, Streaming has this natural advantage that it requires no extra support from anyone. So, don't bother pro-streaming, they already have enough strength to sustain themselves.

Also, stop saying theater is for old folks when it is abundantly clear now moviegoers are overwhelming young demo.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, FNAF is basically the trifecta after The Last of Us and Mario earlier this year… the decades standing “video game adaptation curse” is officially over. I predict this time next decade we will be in full blown market saturation akin to CBMs circa 2015-2019. 

Get Nolan to do a Zelda movie, watch the records fall. 🤣

8 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

This rings true to me. I think I realized how much old I am when I was having lunch with a workmate and she was telling me their children were dying to watch this.

I finally managed to watch KOTFM. Easily my favorite movie of the year so far, but it's certainly more Silence than, say, Irishman, so I can see why it's failing. Still, found it riveting - and I only felt the runtime in the last hour, the whole investigation and trial I didn't think was that interesting and could have been managed more expeditiously (but then that ending scene is simply great).

I hope he's still able to get a decent budget for The Wager after this.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

The proof has already been explained. When Warner Bros. did D&D releases with HBO (which is only a thing in America), all of their movies that were released under that strategy were more skewed to overseas, proving streaming simultaneous does indeed have a major effect.

Additionally, we saw how hard Halloween sequels tanked when they pulled their Peacock releases. The combination of low quality + streaming made the bar for getting people into theaters higher.

FNAF has massive fanbase that wanted to see it in theaters no matter what, 99.9% of movies do not have that. Even still, perhaps day and date shaved off -10% which ain't nothing.

Oh, well, in that case, why didn't streaming hurt the films overseas, at least in regard to piracy?

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Oh, well, in that case, why didn't streaming hurt the films overseas, at least in regard to piracy?

We didn't get D&D releases - at least here in Europe. And piracy has rarely been a factor for BO, imho.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Huh? I'm saying being anti-streaming feels like the Abe Simpson "yelling at clouds" meme. When did I say it was for old folks?

Are you not?? Whatever you said is old are pro-theatrical experience because it is the product of their generation. 

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why are all you folks so anti-streaming? That, coupled with the FNAF surprise makes me think this forum is full of old people.

45 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Such a shame about Matthew Perrry. 

Big drop for FNAF. Can’t say I’m surprised, with the combination of fan rush and streaming/piracy availability it’ll play like the Halloween sequels. 

Yeah. Already available in 4K w/ Dolby 5.1 on pirate sites. That's gotta take a toll on OW...

9 minutes ago, bakedpotato said:

Yeah. Already available in 4K w/ Dolby 5.1 on pirate sites. That's gotta take a toll on OW...

They won’t be getting true 4K or true Dolby via a download link, but I get what you mean. That’s what happens with day and date releases, Universal only has themselves to blame. 

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The age of the video game era in Hollywood is upon us. They are definitely going to phase out CBMs as the bread and butter over the next decade, I’d put money on it.

hopefully we start to get some decent ones then

if tv shows have figured it out surely films can too

8 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Trash talking Gen Z's taste when us millennials made rancid garbage like the Michael Bay Transformers movies blockbusters is funny. We were no better.

No generation is. Bad movies doing well is a time honored tradition as old as movie theaters.

• Like 7