Bob Train

FNAF Weekend Thread (10/27-10/29) | $80m Opening Weekend | Blumhouse's Biggest Opener Ever | $14.7m The Eras Tour | $9.3m KOTFM

52 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

FNAF really playing like a twilight movie 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:48 PM, M37 said:

Yesterday I noted that FNAF was giving me YA vibes, and this generational gap between implied demand and those in charge of supply is reminding me very much of another younger slewing IP film adaptation that caught the industry off guard (for the record, I too was very much oblivious to the potential at the time)

Would also add that the robust sales in MTC2 & MiniTC2 suggest to me that’s there’s a potential demographic skew that is adding to the under-the-radar breakout potential of FNAF (see previously Sonic 2 and Minions 2)

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's got the darkest subject matter out of all Leo/Scorsese projects by far and is almost 4 hours long. The fact that it wasn't DOA is a miracle in itself.

And he plays an extremely unsavory character without all the twisted aspirational glamour that Jordan Belfort had. That same movie without Leo does Silence's numbers or whereabouts.

Also, the first version of the script (with Leo playing Plemons' character and having all the movie centered about him solving the murders) probably does much better at the BO - but becomes a lesser film, too. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It's pretty funny how after all the tallkabout Joker's record falling twice, october is over and it still stands

Joker still standing strong. Taylor and her inflated ticket prices came very close. No shade on Taylor when I say that by the way.

I was excited for KOTM and still intend to see it at some point. Can't go wrong with Scorsese and Leo. But I'll admit that my intentions to see it in theaters basically died when I saw the runtime. Idk when I'm supposed to go find 4 hours to spend at the theater 

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

October is looking to finish at around $550m, up from 2022 but down from 2021 and still far below 5-years average pre-Covid year. For a month that none of the new releases are big action flick, this is a as good as it get situation.   

This is rough with ATP at an all time high.  September was like 472m. May 2023 was below May 2022. June 2023 was 3% higher than June 2022.  Barbenheimer came in to save the day.

Ive liked following the box office since getting Entertainment Weekly as a kid and flipping to the box office section. Following the numbers has always been something I enjoyed.  These past two years with the highs of TGM, Barbie, Mario, A2 but the highs don't outweigh the lows. Its really hard not to be doom and gloom or negative just looking at the numbers.  FNAF is nice but The Marvels is shaping up to be one of the biggest bombs of the year. Disney MCU movies have been cash cows for theaters. Last Holiday season was awful even with BPW and A2. This holiday season looks bad.  IDK anymore something needs to breakout....Wish, Hunger Games something. 

For what it's worth I think this November and December are much deeper than the last two years in terms of potential solid 60m+ hits and strong platform releases, but they obviously lack a NWH, Avatar, or even Wakanda Forever level top hit so the box office will be a couple hundred million lower even if the 3-10 films outgross the last two years by a bunch.

• Like 3

Also side note on the subject of FNAF and Twilight:

I'm 27 so I grew up right in the middle of Harry Potter/twilight hype. I remember the older generation constantly whining about how “kids these days don't read anymore” but in hindsight that was kind of a hilarious statement considering our age-group was probably the peak of the YA genre lol. Harry Potter, twilight, Percy Jackson, hunger games, divergent, eragon, etc. Etc.

I'm probably too old now to understand what the younger generation reads but definitely seems to me from the younger people I know that video games are a lot more important culturally to them.

I'm guessing the next ten years we're going to see a huge explosion in video game films after super Mario and FNAF killed it this year. Very similar to the big YA adaption craze of the 2000s

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

This is rough with ATP at an all time high.  September was like 472m. May 2023 was below May 2022. June 2023 was 3% higher than June 2022.  Barbenheimer came in to save the day.

Ive liked following the box office since getting Entertainment Weekly as a kid and flipping to the box office section. Following the numbers has always been something I enjoyed.  These past two years with the highs of TGM, Barbie, Mario, A2 but the highs don't outweigh the lows. Its really hard not to be doom and gloom or negative just looking at the numbers.  FNAF is nice but The Marvels is shaping up to be one of the biggest bombs of the year. Disney MCU movies have been cash cows for theaters. Last Holiday season was awful even with BPW and A2. This holiday season looks bad.  IDK anymore something needs to breakout....Wish, Hunger Games something. 

I’m banking on Wish and Wonka saving the season myself. But I understand your negativity, it’s tough 

2 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

I'm guessing the next ten years we're going to see a huge explosion in video game films after super Mario and FNAF killed it this year. Very similar to the big YA adaption craze of the 2000s

That’s already been happening with TV shows on streaming, it’s just gonna be transferred to the movie theaters now. I hope it happens and I hope they do well and keep movie theaters afloat.

1 hour ago, Borobudur said:

I guess my hope to have Creator , Venice and Flower Moon to have 3x from OW are going down to drain. Halloween season is now becoming a bad season to release non-horror movie. The weekend jump are way weaker than usual and it is not like weekdays are better. 

Remind me of Dune. Like Dune, KOTFM's weekdays certainly don't scream a 2nd weekend 60%+ drop. The weekdays are pretty strong for a 3 hours half hour movie but shit blow out through weekend. I am very surprised the weak weekend bump like the crowd just disappear abruptly.  

20 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Make me even wonder just what happened to the domestic hold.  The international hold is substantially better.

18 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

The top-performers are actually pretty on par to the pre-Covid figure but it is the absolute garbage-like BO from small-medium sized film. Early 2023 I was pretty hopeful of the box office from small-medium movies , especially after seeing good performance from A man called otto and Cocaine Bear (64m), Jesus Revolution (50m+), Missing & Plane (32m) and Creed 3 (150m+). I don't include horror here because it is too evident they are in different group. 

But things suddenly went south after AIR (52m), Margaret (20m),  Covenants (17m) and continuously through summer except SOF which did breakout using some unconventional method but the party finish quickly and it has been awful September-October.  

2019 had 31 movies make 100m and 56 movies make 50m. 2022 had 18 movies make 100m and 33 movies make 50m. If my current predictions hold true, 2023 will have 26 movies make 100m and 49 movies make 50m. So....it is a nice rebuilding year, but definitely still a rebuilding year. I'd be optimistic about a comeback slowly happening. Problem is that with the strike delaying releases, and studios refusing to act responsibily, and with a potentially contentious election/war/recession next year......much of that progress will be lost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

People overestimated because of Wolf of Wall Street, which was way, way more accessible to mainstream audiences than this

It has the combination of sex, money and booze, which is a much bigger selling point.

29 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I’m banking on Wish and Wonka saving the season myself. But I understand your negativity, it’s tough 

Yep. Neither Wonka or Wish are going to explode out the gate but if the movies deliver and WOM is good they should be the top movies for the rest of the year. For me following Leggy movies go and go is way more fun and satisfying than the blow the load in the first few days movies. 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

People overestimated because of Wolf of Wall Street, which was way, way more accessible to mainstream audiences than this

Nah, these are all afterthoughts. A way more accessible, uplifting and far shorter movie called AIR hardly come far above 50m+ without strike.