XXRDJisDoctorDoom

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

4 hours ago, Willowra said:

Thunderbolts is the finale of phase 5 as per Feige. I don't know why people think that they would cancel finale.

How is possible that Thunderbolts  is the finale of phase 5?

I would expect the finale to be Avengers Kang Disnaty and Secreg Wars.

3 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

That's what people are discussing. Why are they delaying the movies instead of canning them? Like what do they hope to achieve with the delays? We already saw the results of The Marvels which got delayed repeatedly and have money poured into only to still be a historical bomb.

That's the worst part, these Hollywood companies keep trying to polish the turd instead of just letting the turd be out and move on.

You cannot possibly be making the argument that it's bad to try to make a movie better

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Feige said Phase 5 not phase 6 or entire saga 

But what does Phase 5 even mean?  Nothing, as far as the audience is concerned.

If you ask them when and how and why Phase 4 ended and Phase 5 started, they'd have no idea.

Same if you end with Thunderbolts as Phase 5.

If no one wants to D+ Cap America and Thunderbolts as singular movies, just turn them into Season 2 and 3 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  It would be just as sensible story-wise as their 1st season...and folks would be way less critical (and Disney would lose way less money) just cutting it up into a somewhat sensible series form and moving on to other movies in 2025.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

You cannot possibly be making the argument that it's bad to try to make a movie better

Everyone can build a bridge, but to build a bridge at a reasonable timeframe and budget while making sure it never collapses requires pros. Is spending 100M to turn a D level movie into a C level one really worth it?

That's the reality, at some point you need to start asking if it really is worth it to polish a turd. Rather than just let the turd out and start afresh. Refusing to ask this question is how we ended up with The Flash/Marvels/Indy V.

Edited by scytheavatar

Am I bad for praying that Disney makes Tom Holland the face of the Avengers (or young Avengers??) because of their recent poor BO results. I have no clue if Sony will allow that (surely there's a $$$ amount that's enough), but if there's one Marvel character that appeals to Gen Z and Gen Alpha audiences its HIM.  
You Betcha Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

12 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Everyone can build a bridge, but to build a bridge at a reasonable timeframe and budget while making sure it never collapses requires pros. Is spending 100M to turn a D level movie into a C level one really worth it?

That's the reality, at some point you need to start asking if it really is worth it to polish a turd. Rather than just let the turd out and start afresh. Refusing to ask this question is how we ended up with The Flash/Marvels/Indy V.

No, just writing off movies the studio doesn't feel is working is not a healthy solution. Idk what this boards obsession with it is, nowhere else does anyone think this is a good trend that should become the norm

• Like 1

Can Disney make Tom Holland the face of the MCU while everything has to go through Sony?  It's incredible that they never ponied up the money to get Spider-Man back from Sony in full, I'm positive there was a number that Sony would have accepted especially considering they were going through financial turmoil of their own.  

That's only a small part of the issue moving forward from Downey Jr. and Evans.  They had no plan or a plan in place that casuals would care about moving forward.  The Infinity Saga kept people coming back.  They weren't all good movies.  Some of them were quite bad but it was easy to digest because of what was on the horizon. There was something BIG to look forward to and they nailed it.  The Russos and company nailed the finale. 

But the thing that kept everyone interested was the huge overlapping story arc and all the familiar characters.  

I think another thing that has happened is Marvel has gotten way too overconfident in their ability to deliver C and D-List characters to the masses.  James Gunn hit a grand slam with GOTG.  He also hit a home run with TSS/Peacemaker. But he's the common denominator there.  That's his thing.  I don't believe just anyone can get casual audiences to care about these deep cuts. 

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No, just writing off movies the studio doesn't feel is working is not a healthy solution. Idk what this boards obsession with it is, nowhere else does anyone think this is a good trend that should become the norm

Is getting a never ending string of bombs really a more healthy solution? The reality the MCU is in right now is that it's in the same state as the DCEU, if not worse. At some point Marvel really needs that Star Wars break and a long period where no Marvel films are released so that they can calibrate their future direction. What exactly does Marvel and Disney hope to achieve in releasing movies which most people can see bombing years away?

Just now, scytheavatar said:

Is getting a never ending string of bombs really a more healthy solution? The reality the MCU is in right now is that it's in the same state as the DCEU, if not worse. At some point Marvel really needs that Star Wars break and a long period where no Marvel films are released so that they can calibrate their future direction. What exactly does Marvel and Disney hope to achieve in releasing movies which most people can see bombing years away?

Clearly you have no idea on how film production actually works. Cancelling everything and releasing nothing is not going to happen. I suspect your wonderful business acumen would see WDAS and Pixar closed down because they released 1-2 unsuccessful films. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

How is possible that Thunderbolts  is the finale of phase 5?

I would expect the finale to be Avengers Kang Disnaty and Secreg Wars.

Thunderbolts being the Phase 5 closer is just wild because there is nothing building up to it, if it was a deal like the Masters of Evil being formed with the main antagonists of the Phase 5 I'd understand, but the way it is, it's just a bunch of side characters thrown together, dealing with plot point of Eternals that barely got any acknowledgement in the following movies.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Clearly you have no idea on how film production actually works. Cancelling everything and releasing nothing is not going to happen. I suspect your wonderful business acumen would see WDAS and Pixar closed down because they released 1-2 unsuccessful films. 🙄

It happened for Star Wars, why not Marvel?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Can Disney make Tom Holland the face of the MCU while everything has to go through Sony? 

I genuinely think this is a compromise that Disney should make, and if the Disney-Sony hybrid Spiderman worked in other MCU movies, I honestly think it'll work in the future. I also have a strong feeling that movies with Spiderman as a big character are gonna do better financially too because of his iconic status. (JUST DO IT IGER or FEIGE)

Honestly, I'm not sure if Sony would be willing to part with the Spiderman IP due to the huge success of the videogames, animated movies, and of course, the live action movies. I could see the IP having a price tag in the multiple billions imo because I'd like to say that Spiderman is the most valuable superhero AT THIS POINT IN TIME. (pls don't kill me)

4 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

It happened for Star Wars, why not Marvel?

Star Wars is a very different property from Marvel. 

This place is clearly full of armchair analysts who have no business acumen.

Edited by Jonwo

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But what does Phase 5 even mean?  Nothing, as far as the audience is concerned.

If you ask them when and how and why Phase 4 ended and Phase 5 started, they'd have no idea.

Same if you end with Thunderbolts as Phase 5.

If no one wants to D+ Cap America and Thunderbolts as singular movies, just turn them into Season 2 and 3 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  It would be just as sensible story-wise as their 1st season...and folks would be way less critical (and Disney would lose way less money) just cutting it up into a somewhat sensible series form and moving on to other movies in 2025.

Yeah, most people still refer to everything post-Endgame as phase 4 and who can blame them.

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

hey, I may have zero business acumen but at least I didn’t spend hundreds of millions making the marvels 😛

19 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Your talking about a billion dollar plus slate cost wise. A film which right now is going to be a multi million loss. I agree Star Wars is different (the error was Disney trying to make it the MCU) but Disney will have to make changes after this and the delays we are seeing.

I think we see Avengers delayed to protect the brand. If am Marvel and can do what I want (spoilers they can’t, they need to negotiate contracts/time) my slate would be:

Thunderbolts (merged with Cap)
Fantastic Four

Doctor Strange 3

Spider-Man 4

X-Men (featuring Deadpool)

Avengers (Single film)

That is a very strong line up imo. 

I think it’s a mistake (however they actually perform) to sign up to a 600M budget two part Avengers story without testing out the characters more.

Also can’t help adding your moaning about arm chair analysts on an Internet forum discussing business results. Lack of awareness there.

Edited by Sckathian