XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Here's a hypothetical. If Ms. Marvel was made into a movie instead and came out last year, how different would The Marvels' box office be? CBMs were still doing pretty well last year so if Ms marvel had made around 400M at the box office, would that have helped The Marvels in a meaningful way?

Edited by DInky

52 minutes ago, DInky said:

Here's a hypothetical. If Ms. Marvel was made into a movie instead and came out last year, how different would The Marvels' box office be? CBMs were still doing pretty well last year so if Ms marvel had made around 400M at the box office, would that have helped The Marvels in a meaningful way?

Honestly, if Ms. Marvel being introduced in her show was the only Disney+ tie to this film, that would have already done some helping. But it feels like there are wayy more ties, even if many are easily explained or even unaddressed in the actual film.

just a heads up all the recent "reports" are coming from danielRPK who's only good for trailer release dates, he got lucky with the reed richards casting, and now that his 5 minutes pf fame are up he is desperately just saying random shit or repeating rumors from other "insiders" to stay relevant and trick people into subscribing to his Patreon 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

just a heads up all the recent "reports" are coming from danielRPK who's only good for trailer release dates, he got lucky with the reed richards casting, and now that his 5 minutes pf fame are up he is desperately just saying random shit or repeating rumors from other "insiders" to stay relevant and trick people into subscribing to his Patreon 

Yeah, all of these "reports" are getting annoying. "[insert Marvel title] will get a sequel isn't a big leap. And of course if any of these projects don't happen, he'll just say Marvel changed their minds.

Any reports that claim that Marvel is making a sequel to Eternals is a lie. It's a disliked film and nobody liked the characters. If The Marvels is only headed for 230M worldwide then Eternals would do around 80M worldwide. So unless Disney can do Eternals 2 for 20M it is never being made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DInky said:

Doubt it. There are big issues with her character. How she is written doesn’t engage with a lot of audiences.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:57 PM, Mojoguy said:

Avengers 5 WW under 1 Billion confirmed?

If Avengers KD or SW is starring Brie Larson & if they want movie to do respectable 350m WW opening & 700-750m total at box office on a 350m budget then this is my advice to Marvel Studios-

1. Don't tell mcu fans who is the lead in Avengers & who's leading the Avengers.

2. Release misleading poster: put Spider-Man, Doctor Strange & Captain America at forefront of Avengers poster & mislead the fans.

3. Only show 1 or 2 seconds of Captain Marvel footage in Avengers trailer & again mislead the fans. They released The Marvels trailer focusing on Ms. Marvel & Monica but it didn't work because mcu fans already knew The Marvels is Captain Marvel sequel but for the Avengers such a trailer could work.

4. Use twitter infuencers/scoopers like RPK & MTTSH & spread rumours before the movie that Spider-Man is the lead or Doctor Strange is the lead of KD.

In my personal view a large section of mcu fans deserve to be tricked & fooled again & again(unfortunalely this includes female audience also), so this should be their strategy if Brie Larson is the lead in either of the Avengers movies.I

It won't be possible to fully trick them as some of these fans are really oversmart but a respectable 700m is possible with all these gimmicks.

I really doubt that she will be the lead of Avengers(as her movie not even grossing 100m in US) but if she is(in their storyline & in their contract) then this is their best option.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

14 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, all of these "reports" are getting annoying. "[insert Marvel title] will get a sequel isn't a big leap. And of course if any of these projects don't happen, he'll just say Marvel changed their minds.

In fact, DanielRPK is already saying he just mentioned these sequels are being discussed, not "In the works". That will be his deffense.

Now, I wouldn't even be surprised Disney/Marvel are discussing all these sequels, since they originally planned there would be sequels for many movies and shows, but they need to consider the current situation.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

I'm sure Marvel, Feige, Disney are *always* discussing *everything*...so what?  More likely is that it's all deliberate media leaks to keep the "conversation" going online, etc. ...since the conversation around the MCU as a whole is obviously lacking, due to the movies, lately...  Eternals sequel will obviously not be made...best fans may see is a few of the characters show up in SECRET WARS... and of course they'll bring back Harry Styles.  🤩😄😄

Speaking of SECRET WARS...there must *really* be some stinkers of disagreement between the RUSSOS and Feige/Marvel for there not to be *any* rumors of their return. 

Edited by Macleod

Sony has a panel at CCXP which is leading everyone to think there's a big Spidey 4 announcement but...I don't think that's likely. For one, any date or anything would need to be sorted out with Disney since even though Sony sets the dates they still coordinate (which is why it's not a coincidence that every time a Spider-Man movie has gotten a release date all the MCU movies around that date get a bump), but it's also just pretty far out. CCXP usually covers stuff within the next year. At most maybe they'll officially announce that it's in development.

And yes my FF cast speculation is similarly far out from when CCXP is but at least with that it's still filming reportedly in weeks, which Spider-Man almost definitely is not.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, toutvabien said:

Honestly, if Ms. Marvel being introduced in her show was the only Disney+ tie to this film, that would have already done some helping. But it feels like there are wayy more ties, even if many are easily explained or even unaddressed in the actual film.

Yeah, regarding Disney+ stuff, the problem wasn't just Ms. Marvels being a show. It was also Monica being perceived as a TV show character and Nick Fury being sort of ruined by Secret Invasion.

I've just rewatched Winter Soldier this weekend and Fury is such a badass there. Secret Invasion takes away a lot of that, besides also invalidating the whole ending of the first Captain Marvel by showing how he and Captain Marvel failed in their mission. It's honestly just a shitstorm of bad decisions regarding the shows.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't think the "homework" angle was as big a factor as people are saying. it's not even the movie with the biggest amount of Disney+ setup this year. Even Guardians had some (though it was just a few mentions of Quill and Mantis being brother and sister)

I’ve spoken to many members in my family that would identify as GA members and a few causal MCU fans who would go to movies 4-5 times a year. Even though MCU movies are designed to be easily accesible, the main roadblock was feeling like they had to watch the shows because they had base awareness that Nick Fury and Kamala had shows, as well as lack of interest.

A key difference between the Mantis and Quill thing is that not only can it be implied in GoTGv2 but also the holiday special didn’t feel mandatory as that was around 45 minutes versus around 3 shows. Even though again, they likely aren’t mandatory viewing. 

• Like 3

If they keep hiring these amateur-hack directors with little to no experience in blockbusters, I actually think the next Avenger movies  can go as low as 500m WW. 

Raimi could be good for the franchise. Any other seasoned director, for that matter could be a good change for once.

47 minutes ago, YM! said:

I’ve spoken to many members in my family that would identify as GA members and a few causal MCU fans who would go to movies 4-5 times a year. Even though MCU movies are designed to be easily accesible, the main roadblock was feeling like they had to watch the shows because they had base awareness that Nick Fury and Kamala had shows, as well as lack of interest.

A key difference between the Mantis and Quill thing is that not only can it be implied in GoTGv2 but also the holiday special didn’t feel mandatory as that was around 45 minutes versus around 3 shows. Even though again, they likely aren’t mandatory viewing. 

There were multiple reasons for this epic bomb, but the main reason was apathy towards the lead character. The movie made $1.5m in India; this is just embarrassing and horrible. Marvel Studios did nothing to establish Captain Marvel in the MCU; she had little to no interactions with the OG Avengers, and after Endgame, they sidelined the character. Instead of making her second movie good, they made it even worse than the first one. She'll never be acceptable to the audience now, as they missed the train three times now: Captain Marvel, then Endgame, and now The Marvels. If she is the lead character in the next Avengers movie, then their best option would be to hide this, and they will have to use other gimmicks to make them watch Avengers. If she isn't the lead, then they better tell their fans who the lead is, as it would only help them in increasing overall interest in the MCU.

32 minutes ago, Willowra said:

There were multiple reasons for this epic bomb, but the main reason was apathy towards the lead character. The movie made $1.5m in India; this is just embarrassing and horrible. Marvel Studios did nothing to establish Captain Marvel in the MCU; she had little to no interactions with the OG Avengers, and after Endgame, they sidelined the character. Instead of making her second movie good, they made it even worse than the first one. She'll never be acceptable to the audience now, as they missed the train three times now: Captain Marvel, then Endgame, and now The Marvels. If she is the lead character in the next Avengers movie, then their best option would be to hide this, and they will have to use other gimmicks to make them watch Avengers. If she isn't the lead, then they better tell their fans who the lead is, as it would only help them in increasing overall interest in the MCU.

I really disagree with that being the main reason. A minor reason out of many? Sure, there was a higher than usual apathy (and some hate) towards her, but the first movie was well received back then, and I’m pretty sure there were at least 10 reasons for this one bombing that were bigger than any apathy towards her. Some of these reasons were actually responsible for the apathy in fact