Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The only people who complain about, or actually acknowledge, "wokeness" are those who live almost exclusively online. The only time I've ever heard that term used in real life is from politicians who are both A) looking for the latest boogeyman scare phrase to use on the vulnerable and 2) desperate to come off as "cool" to younger generations. Literally never seen it used otherwise.

The biggest irony is that Barbie is a 1000x more woke than The Marvels as it throws around words like fascist, white savior and patriarchy + has a full monologue about society's hypocrisy towards women 

All The Marvels does is feature women and POC in a more traditional story. So by calling it 'woke', we know what haters actually mean and the thread title is accurate in calling a spade a spade

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

The biggest irony is that Barbie is a 1000x more woke than The Marvels as it throws around words like fascist, white savior and patriarchy + has a full monologue about society's hypocrisy towards women 

All The Marvels does is feature women and POC in a more traditional story. So by calling it 'woke', we know what haters actually mean and the thread title is accurate in calling a spade a spade

People want to watch Barbie. There was a purpose to the movie. It felt important.

Marvel thought that by putting more females in a sequel to $1B ww grosser...one black, one middle eastern and one white , they have covered all bases and will do gangbusters again. They were taking audience for granted. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, parkerthegreat said:

I'm not dumpster diving in this thread, someone want to do me a favor and please post the current numbers and midnights or put them in the thread title? Thanks. 

6.6 th expected ~21M full OD for 45-50ish 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The only people who complain about, or actually acknowledge, "wokeness" are those who live almost exclusively online. The only time I've ever heard that term used in real life is from politicians who are both A) looking for the latest boogeyman scare phrase to use on the vulnerable and 2) desperate to come off as "cool" to younger generations. Literally never seen it used otherwise.

I've heard it from my step mother a few times now when she bemoans society becoming more inclusive and less "English". She's a bigot though for sure. 

35 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Dark Phoenix did $252M for comparison purposes. 

Holy shit. I hadn’t even thought about the fact that this is doing less than Dark Phoenix. Even the people who would have been labeled “doomsayers” about MCU being in trouble a year ago (like me) would have never gone that far.  

Edited by MovieMan89

Doing probably less than 2/3 of AM1 OW admissions, the prior record holder. Guess it’s only fitting for the most impressive project in Hollywood history (saga 1) to be followed by the most impressive collapse (saga 2) 🤔 🥴

5 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Barbie had a progressive agenda but it also had a message for men as well so it balanced out well for audiences. I actually think the message for men in that film was something different I saw in movies. The movie was not binary as "women good men bad"

Also the film didn't tear down Barbie as a character but evolved her for a modern age.

Additionally, the film felt like an event must-see film for many women and for many guys as well.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EmeraldWitch said:

With all the praises The Barbie getting, I feel like that movie is also a fluke too. If Barbie 2 ever happened it gonna suffer the same fate as Alice/The Marvels.

Haven't watched it though, just feel like it doesn't look like a 1,4 billion $ movie at all. 

It's true that Barbie was an event must see movie, so it is difficult to repeat some very new and striking aspects.

However, Barbie is different from Alice/The Marvels, because people really like the characters on Barbie.

That said, a sequel for Barbie will likely be a different movie. It's even doubtful they could use the same characters.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

It's true that Barbie was an event must see movie, so it is difficult to repeat some very new and striking aspects.

However, Barbie is different from Alice/The Marvels, because people really like the characters on Barbie.

That said, a sequel for Barbie will likely be a different movie. It's even doubtful they could use the same characters.

Imo the actors in Barbie really sold the movie.

Marjot robbie played both sides of Barbie perfectly that let's say brie Larson couldn't.

Edited by Torontofan