Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

16 hours ago, The GOAT said:

Has anybody actually seen the film or is it just me? 

I'm baffled that they actually decided to release this. 

I saw it. My sister liked it. I found some stuff in the movie logic baffling and some of the fight scenes were filmed very amateurish and a lot of the dialogue was awful or I couldn’t even hear it but overall it wasn’t the worst super hero movie I’ve seen.

Edited by eddyxx

It makes no sense to compare Barbie with The Marvels. The only thing common between those 2 movies is that main lead of both these movies is a female. Barbie is a much much bigger brand WW compare to Captain Marvel. We can compare Barbie brand with Spider-man. There are lot of other factors which attracts men more to someone like Barbie than Captain Marvel such as attractive costumes that Barbie wear.

Edited by Willowra

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I'm not so sure about Joker 2. Yes, I think $700M+ is locked but the musical aspect could put a hard ceiling on it. I defintely don't see it doing the same or even better than Joker 2019

The first one supposedly had hard ceiling as well, but it turns out it didn't. So why the musical aspect makes it lower than loner social drama? Since when those movies made more money than musicals?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The biggest irony is that Barbie is a 1000x more woke than The Marvels as it throws around words like fascist, white savior and patriarchy + has a full monologue about society's hypocrisy towards women 

All The Marvels does is feature women and POC in a more traditional story. So by calling it 'woke', we know what haters actually mean and the thread title is accurate in calling a spade a spade

Not mentioning that the 1st and 3rd highest grossing movies in history are a pair of films that barely-hide both heavy environmentalism and vicious critiques of both colonisation - especially the colonisation of the Americas - and corporatism. 

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

People want to watch Barbie. There was a purpose to the movie. It felt important.

Marvel thought that by putting more females in a sequel to $1B ww grosser...one black, one middle eastern and one white , they have covered all bases and will do gangbusters again. They were taking audience for granted. 

Who's the Middle Eastern lead? Because it sure isn't Iman Vellani.

7 hours ago, Mulder said:

I think it's because The Marvels flopping kind of calls into question the entire genre. This is the first Marvel weekend thread where I can remember this happening, and at least here I'd call it a justified conversation.

I don't think it does. I think the whole conversation is a coping mechanism.   'The Marvels' is flopping for a variety of reasons.  GOTG vol. 3 just came out this past summer and was a big success for a whole bunch of reasons that has nothing to do with current MCU. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I know im in the minority but I am way more confident in Batman 2>Joker 2 than the other way around. 

Yeah... good luck with that prediction. Joker is a bigger asset than Batman, he elevates every movie he's in box-office wise even if it's shit (I'm looking at you, Suicide Squad) and Batman didn't do shit for The Flash and Justice League with major roles in them. Since The Batman 2 supposedly won't have Joker, it needs to be significantly better than the first one to have even slight increase since The Batman was no Batman Begins, 7.8 imdb is good for a superhero movie, but not impressive.

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm delighted Barbie did as well as it did at the box office this year, because at least we won't have endless gaslighting about how this failed because the audience is full of sexist idiots who just don't want to see female protagonists in their movies.

This movie fails because it's half hearted trash, created by a company who are creatively bankrupt, and motivated by the acquisition of money for the least effort possible. 

Thoroughly deserved.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

I'm delighted Barbie did as well as it did at the box office this year, because at least we won't have endless gaslighting about how this failed because the audience is full of sexist idiots who just don't want to see female protagonists in their movies.

This movie fails because it's half hearted trash, created by a company who are creatively bankrupt, and motivated by the acquisition of money for the least effort possible. 

Thoroughly deserved.

Well, the idiots will likely say this proves people don't want to see female leads in superhero movies. And they will add that people won't want to see female POC leads in superhero movie.

They will twist the situation for their convenience.

Edited by Kon

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

Thoroughly deserved.

Just because audiences embraced Barbie doesn't mean they aren't sexist. That's like someone saying they can't trust a woman to be president, but since they love their stay at home wife doing the dishes they can't be sexist, because they love and respect women in certain roles in society.

I'm not saying the problem with The Marvels is that it stars women, the issue is certainly much more complex than that, but Brie Larson has been facing a sexist smear campaign for years, and The Marvels reaching the lowest numbers ever for the MCU despite the fact that it's not the first mediocre movie they've done and neither their worst reviewed one, sure enough justifies a discussion about whether or not sexism is playing a factor in this box office performance.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Just because audiences embraced Barbie doesn't mean they aren't sexist. That's like someone saying they can't trust a woman to be president, but since they love their stay at home wife doing the dishes they can't be sexist, because they love and respect women in certain roles in society.

I'm not saying the problem with The Marvels is that it stars women, the issue is certainly much more complex than that, but Brie Larson has been facing a sexist smear campaign for years, and The Marvels reaching the lowest numbers ever for the MCU despite the fact that it's not the first mediocre movie they've done and neither their worst reviewed one, sure enough justifies a discussion about whether or not sexism is playing a factor in this box office performance.

The comparison between Barbie and The Marvels isn't really right. The biggest audience for Barbie were women, which doesn't seem to be the case for The Marvels.

I wouldn't blame sexism for The Marvels (or Captain Marvel) inability to attract a bigger female audience.

Maybe sexism could be involved on many men rejecting this movie too. However, it would be a little weird to blame men when The Marvels goal was to attract women.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think if the mods banned hyperbole, we'd probably either have a really quiet thread or lots of banned members.

The way I see it is: this is an excellent exercise in everyone showing their true colors. 

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 3