Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This weekend isn't even remotely boring. A sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar hit Marvel movie is about to struggle to make 200M worldwide. How on earth is that boring? 

Because it's been expected for several months. Nothing happening this weekend is a surprise. I get folks want to act surprised so they can ask "How is the MCU ever going to recover?" as if Feige hasn't also seen this coming for months.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Flash bombing was expected too and yet people can't stop talking about it. 

The Flash was also paraded around by Warner Brothers as a high quality game-changer of a film.

As for this film? Both Disney and Marvel have been quiet about this film, only doing the bare minimum to promote it.

23 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And it's also fun to watch people get personally offended when MI7 is called a flop.

Yeah, uh...we don't need this energy here. It really helps nobody. So please don't do this whole "lolololol look at people twisting the obvious flops lolololol".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The Flash was also paraded around by Warner Brothers as a high quality game-changer of a film.

As for this film? Both Disney and Marvel have been quiet about this film, only doing the bare minimum to promote it.

Eternals was promoted a similar way. Studios can get highly obnoxious with marketing and embarrass themselves. News at 11:00. 

12 minutes ago, YachtyLogs said:

As someone just mostly lurking and who has never seen a mission impossible, this "MI7 bombed!" "Nuh uh!" discussion that's been going on for several pages now is kinda embarrassing for both sides lol, y'all in a loop. 

Yep you are right I tell myself I will not get in these back and forths about movies I love and get pissed and start defending them and here I am. What the hell do I care what some other forum user thinks about the Mission movies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MI7 disappointing at the box office won't stop you from getting MI8, so who cares? The Suicide Squad was a huge bomb and it may be my favorite comic book movie ever. I don't care that it bombed because I never wanted a sequel anyway. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

2 hours ago, Eric Danvers said:

Really hate how anti-art users here are getting more and more. Baffling people are actually accepting of such scummy, terrible practices.

I agree but at the same time if you are a studio head and you're tasked with the chore of eliminating $10 Billion in debt or whatever it was,  you probably have to do some wild stuff to achieve that goal. 

• Thanks 1

For me, MI7 box office performance was disappointing. I cannot call it a bomb or flop since it earned 560M at the box office. Using quick numbers we can calculate: 0.4*560 = 224 M. Yes its budget was 290 M but remember that it got a reimbursement from the COVID insurance. Thus: 224M + 70M - 290M = 5M. Of course no one wants to invest money to get nothing back but I cannot say that it was a bomb, just a disappointment (I never believed it was going to make 1B but 560M is too little for me).

Y'all should have never nibbled on the MI7 and Indiana Jones bait.  The only reason they are being brought up is to try to minimize what is happening with 'The Marvels' and it's not even the same stratosphere.  

'The Marvels' if it doesn't grow some serious legs is going to be one of the biggest Hollywood flops of all time.  There's no minimizing it.  

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This weekend isn't even remotely boring. A sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar hit Marvel movie is about to struggle to make 200M worldwide. How on earth is that boring? 

It's "boring" only to those who want this weekend to go away.  We didn't even get numbers last night on here.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Because it's been expected for several months. Nothing happening this weekend is a surprise

That's not accurate, really.  It was expected for several weeks because of our trackers here who do great work.  The trades had this opening to north of $80M just a couple weeks ago and even this week they only dropped the projection to $65-70M. 

Prior to tracking, many expected this to be big because a lot of people were calculating that the Infinity War/Endgame bump was overblown. 

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This is some crazy coping. It was DOA and actress promoting wasn't changing that. FNAF performed well opening weekend... 

did that guy recently get hired by disney or something? his shilling for this is kinda off the charts 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

MI7 disappointing at the box office won't stop you from getting MI8, so who cares? The Suicide Squad was a huge bomb and it may be my favorite comic book movie ever. I don't care that it bombed because I never wanted a sequel anyway. 

True. I love the Suicide Squad too. In a perfect world the 2016 monstrosity would have bombed and this one would hit but we don't live in that perfect world. Be happy we get the movies we love in the first place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Millennials keep Hollywood as we know it going tbh. When we finally do age out like most gens do, it could be a huge problem. Especially for theaters and big budget movies. 

What are the zoomers into nowadays? What events do they congregate at? 

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

This is some crazy coping. It was DOA and actress promoting wasn't changing that. FNAF performed well opening weekend... 

Was on a marvel board and everyone was saying "Its because FNAF had a lot of hype and a built in fan base!" as if Marvel didn't used to have the former and currently has the latter. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2