Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I actually don’t think interviews add much of anything today unless it’s targeting an over 40 audience or something from the interviews happens to become a viral meme 

I like Brie Larson, she seems like a cool chick but does anyone really believe that she could get a Jennifer Lawrence on the Hot Ones type meme going? Because I don't. She's just not that kind of interviewee. 

50 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Seeing some film Twitter accounts suggest that anyone talking about marvels’ box office without mentioning the strike affecting promotional capacity is ‘failing in their duty.’ I think they really believe the cast not doing interviews meant another 70m was left on the opening weekend table.

Add another 15% … and it’s still the lowest grossing MCU opening ever 

Make it 20%, and it’s still Disney’s lowest MCU offering (and +25% likely doesn’t top Ant-Man’s first full week)

17 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like Brie Larson, she seems like a cool chick but does anyone really believe that she could get a Jennifer Lawrence on the Hot Ones type meme going? Because I don't. She's just not that kind of interviewee. 

She was on hot ones 3 years ago, no meme came from it, and it's one of the lesser viewed ones since the show got popular.

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I think this all goes back to teens and younger being the first ones to really not care much about movies. The 12 to twenty something demo is always how the industry has thrived, and if they’re hard to appeal to now, we see these few and far between hits. 

And the cost of tickets can't be ignored, especially b/c families cannot take advantage of subscriber membership huge discounts like singles...

If you lose kids, they become teens and don't ever go to movies...and have no interest in being subscribers in their 20s...

Subscriptions started big in 2016/2017ishish?  So, that's 6-7 years for tickets to spiral up in price, and keep families mostly home, and now those family kids that were 6-12 before are teens and young adults 12-19 and not going b/c they never did...

Habits are formed...it's much harder to break them than to make them...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cap said:

I got a dog now, and my grandmother is sick. Days of weekly trips to the movies are over for the time being. We’ll probably do the Waitress proshot and the Color Purple for the rest of the year. Looking at 2024 only Furiosa and Lady Gaga Harley seem like Appointment Viewing.  

My kids looked at November and passed at everything.  My son wants Aquaman 2...and I think I'd like Migration with the family, but it's gonna take either discount or desire for me to take them.

Then, we're in 2024, and I don't know what we'll be picking.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

My issue with the interview comments is they are no longer restricted. So why wouldn’t those bums turn up on seats next weekend? Which I don’t hear anyone expecting.

To make a worldwide promo tour after the movie release would be really rough, there a reason movies promos start so much before release to build awareness, right or wrong there a believe in that (and you can correct course with tracking feedback)

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And the cost of tickets can't be ignored, especially b/c families cannot take advantage of subscriber membership huge discounts like singles..

It would be a rare live event thing that did not move at all in the last 50 years (at least in the US):

rj62onzjso8b1.png

Cheaper than in 1971 according to the MPAA (the conversation like many could be driven by NY-Los angeles ticket price), would we compare to music or sport live ticket pricing....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And the cost of tickets can't be ignored, especially b/c families cannot take advantage of subscriber membership huge discounts like singles...

If you lose kids, they become teens and don't ever go to movies...and have no interest in being subscribers in their 20s...

Subscriptions started big in 2016/2017ishish?  So, that's 6-7 years for tickets to spiral up in price, and keep families mostly home, and now those family kids that were 6-12 before are teens and young adults 12-19 and not going b/c they never did...

Habits are formed...it's much harder to break them than to make them...

100%, you nailed it about kid forming habits. If parents aren’t taking kids to the movies anymore because it’s just too expensive, these kids grow up with moviegoing not ever really having been a presence in their life. That absolutely forms habits that are very bad news for the industry and theaters. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm a woman. I've been a gamer for 35 years and I loved the comic book movie boom but I always knew that I was in the minority. Yes, I do like female led content but I'm under no delusions. I've looked at the demographics and most comic book movies have like a 60% male lean, if not a little more. Yes female led comic book movies can be successful but it is more difficult for them because of the genre. And filmmakers do have to take that into consideration when they're making these female led movies. I'm not talking about pandering to chuds by the way. I don't care what those YouTube creeps have to say about anything. I'm talking about normal people. 

This, except I think Wonder Woman and Batgirl can be successful as long as you follow one rule. Fantasy, sci-fi, and superheroes are men's hobbies. When you deliberately alienate them, there is nobody left to buy those products. Men tend to be more conservative, especially the demographics who play table top games or can afford $5 comic books. You have a little leeway with movies because you have a more general audience. But you don't have anywhere near the leash that Hollywood studios have tried to take.

• Knock It Off 4

42 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My kids looked at November and passed at everything.  My son wants Aquaman 2...and I think I'd like Migration with the family, but it's gonna take either discount or desire for me to take them.

Then, we're in 2024, and I don't know what we'll be picking.

I mean look at RT homepage right now for new and upcoming… it’s a slew of stink with those Marvels, THG, and Trolls tomatometers… 

One really bad thing I think my gen did is we seemed to be so movie crazed that we’d eat up just about anything for tentpoles in our teen/early twenties days. So Hollywood got used to being able to milk cash cows without quality control. Audiences today on the other hand are simply saying NO to that.  

6.40 pm screening here in the UK. 8 people in a 230 seat auditorium. Ya...this is what I'm used to seeing on the 4th weekend of a Marvel flick.

Also, my bf - who is only familiar with the inner workings of the MCU through what I tell him, who has only seen a couple of the D+ shows and is quite excited about Deadpool and Wolverine teaming up - said this after: "Why in the fuck are they tying a cool property like the X-Men to this joke of a movie"?

I actually liked it quite a lot more than my bf - a very casual superhero fan - did. Though I wouldn't say it's a good flick, it's far above Quantumania or Love & Thunder. I don't know what that says about general audiences in general (if anything), but I found it interesting that my casual fan bf now is officially far better versed and more invested in the Fox X-Men flicks than the MCU, because he can't be bothered watching a multitude of TV shows to stay abreast of what the fuck is happening in the MCU.

• Like 2

I'm very confused at the "kids don't care about theaters" stuff when the evidence shows that the olds don't care. Plus the MPAA showed in their 2021 moviegoing survey that kids are still paying tickets, overindexing the usual population.

https://www.motionpictures.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/MPA-2021-THEME-Report-FINAL.pdf

2-11: 13% population, 16% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

12-17: 8% population, 12% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

18-24: 9% population, 14% moviegoers, 14% tickets sold

No 2022 survey for some reason, but there's no reason to think things skewed that much. Like it seems to me the kids still care about theaters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think we have seen enough of presale data to confirm that the final push by cast members promoting the movie has significant real value, especially toward the final week of the presale run. 

Not saying cast promotion couldn't have value in box office, but The Marvels is a MCU movie.

The brand power should be a lot more important than cast promotion. Not to mention that Captain Marvel is an established character, who previously had a 1B movie. So, lack of interest on the MCU brand and Captain Marvel seem to be the only explanation for The Marvels OW DOM being $47M. 

Even if we assume the cast promotion could give a significant boost to The Marvels box office (which I really doubt), the movie needing it for a decent box office would still means that there is a complete lack on interest on the MCU and Captain Marvel.

Edited by Kon

Theaters are so screwed. Damn, things are looking dire. THG is next in bomb land. People are just not going unless it is an event and theaters aren't sustainable like that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, G Doss said:

as long as you follow one rule. Fantasy, sci-fi, and superheroes are men's hobbies.

What the fuck is this shit? 2003. 

Honestly, why am I here?! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, G Doss said:

This, except I think Wonder Woman and Batgirl can be successful as long as you follow one rule. Fantasy, sci-fi, and superheroes are men's hobbies. When you deliberately alienate them, there is nobody left to buy those products.

What a bunch of sad, puerile trash. Drag that take back to the 18th century and then sit in your sad puddle and think things over. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3