Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

Any child who was below high school age when the pandemic started is fucked. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You are not rambling if you are telling the truth I guess. I’m a teacher as well, I know the battle right now is to make kids read books again in any way possible. It’s… Not going well.

Hell you guys, I taught English last year and Science this year. Not only can we as teachers not get kids to read books, we can’t even get them to read instructions. Sometimes I can’t even get them to read their % grade I’ve given on a test. I’ll give them a test back with the % grade on the front in red pen and they’ll come up to me “what did I get?” 

“It’s on your test.”

”I ain’t reading that sh**”

Even showing videos in class, I cannot get them to pay attention even to a 1-2 minute clip. One of the other teachers took a group to the movie theater last week, and said that everyone groaned when he announced it.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Wait, I know you are conservative and come close to despising liberals (you have as much as said that in here before, so forgive me if I’m assuming it wrongly), and I know how American conservatives really hated Bin Laden’s guts and generally support Israel and so on, so I’m curious after seeing you posting this meme: Do you actually like it? Or just posting it for laughs?

I’m not American, just curious

It's making fun of young people born after 9/11 who don't realize the irony of supporting a guy who attacked killed 3000 of thier citizens. 

Kids nowadays grow up playing games on their ipad. It's no wonder that their brains are fried by the time they reach their teenage years. Back in my day, phones were not allowed in school and they were confiscated on sight. Flip phones should come back as an alternative product for parental purposes. 

Another viewpoint - I'm a teacher and I am forever amazed at how much better than standard of English teaching and learning is compared to when I was a kid. I'd say the average child I teach is able to read and write far, far more skilfully and purposefully than 95% of people I know.

We also romanticise how we were in the past. Children have a short attention span nowadays? I deliver training for teachers, and I can say without doubt that children are far, far better at actively listening than adults. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hell you guys, I taught English last year and Science this year. Not only can we as teachers not get kids to read books, we can’t even get them to read instructions. Sometimes I can’t even get them to read their % grade I’ve given on a test. I’ll give them a test back with the % grade on the front in red pen and they’ll come up to me “what did I get?” 

“It’s on your test.”

Even showing videos in class, I cannot get them to pay attention even to a 1-2 minute clip. One of the other teachers took a group to the movie theater last week, and said that everyone groaned when he announced it.

This is fine guys, this will turn out juuuuust fine for our future…

This is a perfectly fine/good opening for Hunger Games. It'll break even with the worldwide gross this weekend alone, and Lionsgate has lots of upside domestically with most of the budget already made back from tax credits and international sales. This was never going to be an easy sell for more casual Hunger Games fans, and the B+ Cinemascore is hardly surprising given it ends on a darker note.

Lmao at The Marvels. Time to cancel Thunderbolts.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Another viewpoint - I'm a teacher and I am forever amazed at how much better than standard of English teaching and learning is compared to when I was a kid. I'd say the average child I teach is able to read and write far, far more skilfully and purposefully than 95% of people I know.

We also romanticise how we were in the past. Children have a short attention span nowadays? I deliver training for teachers, and I can say without doubt that children are far, far better at actively listening than adults. 

That’s lovely to hear. I also have mixed experiences and I always wonder if it’s always been this bad and if we just romantize the past too much or if it’s getting worse.

Edited by Arlborn

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

“It’s on your test.”

What are the school lunches like now? Mix of McDonalds and Krispy Kreme? Diet and Sunlight play a large part of someone's mental health. 

7 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm not sure how much this anecdote (and the reverse one posted previously) really says without taking into account the aptitude and general intelligence of the both the children and adults in question. There will always be bright children regardless of the era.

I tried to warn you all about The Marvels since like January. Nobody cared. Nobody gave a damn. I even mentioned under 100M in like September and I was attacked. You never listen to me.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1