Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

2 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

The Marvels gross :$57.62m

Comps:

The Incredible Hulk:$81.58m

$134.8m final 

The Flash:$76.87m 

$108.1m final

The Marvels won’t do $100m.

$80m around is more reality.

So The Marvels' domestic total will be around half of Captain Marvel's opening weekend.

24 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

Holy god that Marvels drop. That's some insane rejection. Honestly makes it hard to tell what went wrong here. With numbers like that there's basically no movie to compare it to anymore. Like people weren't just not interested, they were ACTIVELY making sure to avoid it at all costs 

I have no idea how Disney didn't see this coming...

Making a movie centered around two new characters (both of which were introduced in a Disney+ series) is just a terrible idea.

Making theater-going a homework assignment and not an escape from reality is always the wrong move. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Man Secret Invasion was dire, positively dire. I think the weak films were a bigger issue but that could not have helped The Marvels either. I think that show ruined Nick Fury for me.

only hardcore fans watched Secret Invasion so general audience apathy is solely due to the movies and direction 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Thunderbolts is the next one which will have this fate as it also depends on watching 2 Disney+ shows, Ant Man 2 (not even 3) and the Black Widow movie. That one can definitely challenge Marvels at the box office, in fact before Marvels faceplanting I had Thunderbolts as the first sub 100M total in the MCU.

I really have to laugh that after all the handwringing over the MCU diluting cinema or whatever, it's becoming plain as day that its power over the public has been wildly overestimated this whole time. The Oscars introducing a Twitter category just to hand the MCU a seemingly easy victory only to discover the Marvel fandom isn't nearly as strong as the Camila Cabello one (and ending that category after just one year) is truly one for the books.

42 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The Marvels performance is way more to do with people feeling polarised about seeing it due to the shows than anything else. 

Otherwise, November’s box office hasn’t been anything unusual, other than a lack of major product for other reasons. 

I think your post is way too dramatic. Sure there’s more competition for eyeballs, but that’s nothing new. People have regularly shown they won’t pay $20 for PVOD for one movie in any significant numbers whatsoever. 

Excuses. I think it'll maybe take another year before older followers of the box office will open their eyes.  Studios are getting movies out on PVOD faster than ever before....why is that? Because, they are making money, people are paying $20 for PVOD over spending $60 bucks for a family of 4 going to the movies. Movie and TV streaming servicers, content creator sites like TikTok, Twitch and Youtube are something that will continue to grow.  

I wouldn't call November a lack of major products....we have an MCU film one that was a sequel to one of the highest grossing movies in the past 5 years, Hunger Games prequel, a horror movie, 2 kids films one from Universal (Trolls 3) and one soon from Disney (Wish), a Ridley Scott big budget adult movie (Napoleon), feel good sports flick (Next Goal Wins), faithed based film in Journey to Bethlehem, Oscar bait movies like the Holdovers, Priscilla and Saltburn. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

You are not rambling if you are telling the truth I guess. I’m a teacher as well, I know the battle right now is to make kids read books again in any way possible. It’s… Not going well.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Kids nowadays grow up in an evironment where they find it hard to read 1 simple page of a book. Social Media has trained them to think that more than 6 or 7 sentences after another is a "long text". I fear books will soon become a niche product, just like cinema itself. In the school ive worked this year, the teachers literally can not fathom how bad the reading comprehension of the kids is.

I realize i sound like some old rambling 60 year old right now, but i do believe that Social Media fundamentally changed the new generations' outlook on practically all traditional media and entertainment, including books.

Sadly, I think we're already there on the notion of books becoming a niche product. Been the case for a while tbh.

• Sad 1

Let’s predict the Marvels do $200m final WW

Last one:$1.1B WW

drop almost $900m(81.8%)

Biggest drop by number in movie history beat SW:The Last Jedi($746m),Alice in Wonderland 2($730m),by a really large margin

Only If Avengers:Kang Dynasty do less than $1.8B it will break this record

Edited by Sophia Jane
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 3

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Thunderbolts is the next one which will have this fate as it also depends on watching 2 Disney+ shows, Ant Man 2 (not even 3) and the Black Widow movie. That one can definitely challenge Marvels at the box office, in fact before Marvels faceplanting I had Thunderbolts as the first sub 100M total in the MCU.

Well, we can only hope that in 2024 they find a way to introduce these characters to the audience without them being obligated to watch the previous series. I mean, Guardian of the Galaxt introduced five characters in one movie, so it's always possible.

I'm honestly more worried about Captain America 4. Marvel needs to find a way to make Sam into a character that the audience could care. However, most of the movie is completed.

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

The good news about the Marvels is if someone decides to see it they’ll  have the theater all to themselves.

Perfect place to set the climactic fight of a CBM. No problem of having to account for civilians being in danger. 

"He is moving the fight away from danger into a showing of The Marvels"

• Like 4

I'm going to get a little dramatic here so bare with me.

So many people, including myself, pointed out how weak Carol Danvers was as a character and how bland Larson's performance was but were lumped into the "I hate women" incel club because of that. I know other factors hurt The Marvels as well but in a way I feel vindicated today. I'm a Left leaning woman and I want more movies starring women and I never had issues with CM because it was starring a woman and yet pointing out the issues was seen as wrong or at least giving aid and comfort to the enemy. We have to be able to honestly discuss the flaws in all films, including female led films. Stop claiming that every single criticism of Captain Marvel came from bad men and self hating women. That was never true. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

F-Gdu-G4-W0-AAOVDJ.png

Wait, I know you are conservative and come close to despising liberals (you have as much as said that in here before, so forgive me if I’m assuming it wrongly), and I know how American conservatives really hated Bin Laden’s guts and generally support Israel and so on, so I’m curious after seeing you posting this meme: Do you actually like it? Or just posting it for laughs?

I’m not American, just curious

Edited by Arlborn

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

only hardcore fans watched Secret Invasion so general audience apathy is solely due to the movies and direction 

Not a lot of people watched Secret Invasion, but I think it still generate bad reputation in the MCU.

• Like 1