Eric Quinn

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

With every passing year, i get more nostalgic for the 2000s era for movies. Man, that was the good shit.

Yes, even the Star Wars Prequels.

You lost me there! Ok, I do love the third one, but the first two are hard to watch at times... Otherwise I agree, great decade for cinema.

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

its the best transformers movie 

No.

But i respect your opinion.

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

You lost me there! Ok, I do love the third one, but the first two are hard to watch at times... Otherwise I agree, great decade for cinema.

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are bad movies, yes, but the combination of every single line of dialogue beeing a meme by now, the music by John Williams and that - despite all their flaws - they feel like true Star Wars movies save them for me.

Well, not everything. The Naboo plot of Attack of the Clones can actually go to hell if i think about it.

• Like 1

I think 10s were more consistent for the whole decade. 00s were actually rather rough in the beginning, Potter and LOTR and Spidey aside. 2000 and 2003 were exceptionally bleak. 05-07 weren’t great either actually… 

08 and 09 were absolute bangers though. Holiday 09 box office has to be the most epic ever 

Edited by MovieMan89

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones are bad movies, yes, but the combination of every single line of dialogue beeing a meme by now, the music by John Williams and that - despite all their flaws - they feel like true Star Wars movies save them for me.

Well, not everything. The Naboo plot of Attack of the Clones can actually go to hell if i think about it.

kinda love the prequels because of how much they do to expand the universe, just a huge playground for people's imagination

that's why I also really dont care about the sequels 

• Like 1

2010s blockbusters were more concentrated into franchises and studios playing it safe. As someome who had no interest in Marvel/DC, that immediately meant that a third of all blockbusters for the year were inaccessible to me. Then you have other crap like the Disney live action remakes and endless sequels to franchises that really don't deserve sequels. I'm glad it seems that the general audience has finally moved away from these films and are rewarding originality again. 

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

and rewarding originality again. 

they are?

sure theyre punishing sequels, but is there any evidence of them rewarding original movies? 

barbie and Oppenheimer could very well just end up being a one time meme

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think 10s were more consistent for the whole decade. 00s were actually rather rough in the beginning, Potter and LOTR and Spidey aside. 2000 and 2003 were exceptionally bleak. 05-07 weren’t great either actually… 

08 and 09 were absolute bangers though. Holiday 09 box office has to be the most epic ever 

It's interesting that you say this considering 1998-2004 was the height of moviegoing since the late 50s.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Watched the trailers for The Fall Guy and Argylle before Hunger Games today. those two are gonna be in a duel for Worst Movie of 2024 if those trailers are anything to go by.

Well I think they both look like fun old school star driven action movies. But's that just me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Avatar is not a white savior movie.

Jake help to the natives was his military training not his race.

His character could be white black Asian or a women. 

Avatar was a a smash hit in non white countries.

It's not so much about Jake being literally white and more about the plot being "guy from foreign colonizer country is the only one who can save the natives, also he's better at being a native then the natives". 

I think the US and Canada are the places where that narrative is considered the most offensive. Maybe Australia as well though I don't live there. I have a lot of native family/friends who didn't appreciate that aspect of the film. Especially when the random colonizer guy becomes essentially their chosen one.

Edited by Killimano3
Meant offensive not effective
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

they are?

sure theyre punishing sequels, but is there any evidence of them rewarding original movies? 

barbie and Oppenheimer could very well just end up being a one time meme

I consider Barbie, Mario and Oppenheimer more original than almost all of the highest grossing movies of the 2010s. Of course we're talking blockbusters here that are based on a pre-existing IP so they aren't entirely original. But they aren't a bloated sequel to a pre-existing cinematic franchise/universe.

2010 - Toy Story 3 (great movie but a 3rd installment to a franchise)

2011 - Harry Potter 8 (8th movie)

2012 - The Avengers (Something like the 8th movie in the MCU)

2013 - Frozen (original)

2014 - Transformers AOE (4th live action transformers film)

2015 - Star Wars TFA (7th movie in the franchise)

2016 - Civil War (where are we at now, the 15th movie in the MCU?)

2017 - Star Wars TLJ (8th movie in the franchise)

2018 - Infinity War (69th movie in the MCU)

2019 - Endgame (753rd movie in the MCU)

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Killimano3 said:

It's not so much about Jake being literally white and more about the plot being "guy from foreign colonizer country is the only one who can save the natives, also he's better at being a native then the natives". 

I think the US and Canada are the places where that narrative is considered the most effective. Maybe Australia as well though I don't live there. I have a lot of native family/friends who didn't appreciate that aspect of the film. Especially when the random colonizer guy becomes essentially their chosen one.

I'm amazed that some people still feel like Avatar being a white savior story is up for debate. It was clear the moment it came out. Me and a few others here saying it is by no means a hot take or anything

• Like 1