Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

Talked about this in another thread when Best Buy made they announcement they were exiting physical media starting next year but IMO the very quick collapse of the home medium market at the same time of streaming's meteoric rise ended up having far bigger consequences re: the way movies - and movie theaters - are viewed as than most people realize it did and how that's been the true Enemy of Cinema hiding in plain sight this whole time. Just compare the bottom half of any top 100 movie list pre-2020 vs. every year since the pandemic and the lack of depth in the marketplace is startling (and a sign of just how much the extended shutdown had on the way we consume stuff). Of course, it was popular to blame DVD for disappointing box office results even during the format's 2000s heyday, so the blame game has really always been some sort of endless cycle, but even a decade ago, various genres were still considered very much thriving at the multiplex overall to give off a sense of a balanced environment despite the safety of movie theaters becoming a major topic of conversation in light of Aurora around the time (responsible for the preview phenomenon we have now), these days it seems to be very few movies that generate actual WOM or become a topic of conversation (even more so, the rise of the PLF phenomenon means to many you need to see it during the opening weekend, or just don't bother at all, resulting in big second weekend drops with little room for recovery). 

Nolan actually encouraged people during a screening of Oppenheimer this past week to buy the movie's physical release instead of the streaming one (both are being released on Tuesday after four months of theatrical exclusivity, a rarity in this day and age).

Christopher Nolan: Buy 'Oppenheimer' Blu-ray to Avoid Evil Streamers (variety.com)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nolan actually encouraged people during a screening of Oppenheimer this past week to buy the movie's physical release instead of the streaming one (both are being released on Tuesday after four months of theatrical exclusivity, a rarity in this day and age).

Christopher Nolan: Buy 'Oppenheimer' Blu-ray to Avoid Evil Streamers (variety.com)

Nolan did clarify that he was joking with the "evil streamers" comment.

He just wanted to raise the issue of content disappearing but believed that streamers would fix it.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not saying people are awarding originality yet - I'm just saying they are definitely starting to reject the endless shitty sequels and spinoffs of lesser quality. People still want things that are IP - but most of the current IP is near the end of the life cycle, and audiences can smell it. Definitely studios need to invest in new things, even if it is more Zelda than Oppenheimer.

Just wait until the franchises from this year get the sequel and spinoff treatment and those films also do good. The cycle is just beginning anew.

• Like 1

Some of the trackers (can’t remember if it was @keysersoze123) have mentioned that BOSS may be overperforming in Canada and I can 100% confirm that.

Having had a chance to look at some Canadian numbers, I’m astonished that this is “only” opening to low 40s. It’s playing like a 70M opener across the board here, with regional comps at individual theaters playing like 23-27M Saturday alone. Crazy numbers overall here.

Thanksgiving is also tanking in Canada which is not surprising.

• Like 1

I don’t think people being fed up with IPs is the problem. IPs are still the name of the game and looking at this year’s TOP 10 it’s easy to see why.

The problem is imo a combination of 3 factors:

1. Drop in quality and choices that are unpopular with the GA. Let’s take Marvel for example. Granted, there is superhero fatigue but just look at GOTG. It made a ton of money because it was very well received. Similar to Spiderverse. And Joker 2 will make a ton as well if it’s well received. Same with Deadpool 3. 

Star Wars played the nostalgia card but the drop in quality was obvious. People who don’t understand the source material were put in charge.

Same with Pirates of the Caribbean. Same with Harry Potter. And a ton of other franchises. But let’s not kid ourselves: when that Harry Potter sequel will drop with the OG characters that will break all kinds of records. Same if they make a Tolkien movie with Peter Jackson returning.

People were burned too many times by bad movies.

2. Streaming changed how audiences consume content. I am going way less often to the cinema now than before covid tbh.

3.Asia in general and China specifically moved away from Hollywood content, which caused overall inflated WW grosses of the 2010s to drop even more.

Edited by James
  • Like 3

Just watched the newest THG, the first 2 acts are really good, unfortunately the last one really fell off. The vilain origin story is pretty much made up in the last 15min. I would rank it as 3rd best in the franchise. Had a chance for number one with the first 2 acts. Lead actor is great !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elothar said:

Just watched the newest THG, the first 2 acts are really good, unfortunately the last one really fell off. The vilain origin story is pretty much made up in the last 15min. I would rank it as 3rd best in the franchise. Had a chance for number one with the first 2 acts. Lead actor is great !

Yeah the movie was great but the third act is much better in the book and makes a lot more sense. Still the movie was pretty good. 

THG Ranking: 

1. Catching Fire

2. The Hunger Games

3. Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

4. Mockingjay Part 2

5. Mockingjay Part 1

I know a lot of people see this movie as a desperate way to bring back a popular IP but honestly they have done nothing wrong or desperate. It is an adaptation of a book and not a made up story (Fantastic Beasts), pretty well adapted and made just in one movie from one book (The Hobbit). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1