Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

So... I just came out of Napoleon. And honestly?

Half of it was boring, and the other half felt like a full-blown comedy. I was giggling and in awe of what the fuck I was watching the whole way through, which should not be the case for a historic epic. Unfortunately I also wasn't a fan of Joaquin's performance here, as he goes from monotone to a crazy clown at the drop of a hat. I wasn't impressed with Vanessa either, which isn't encouraging for the Fantastic Four reboot coming up. The battle scenes were well done, and the visuals are top notch, but even they aren't enough to save the movie when the rest of it is such a mess. Maybe I'm exxagerating, but it might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'd ask for some of the stuff Sir Ridley has been consuming, but I'm a Muslim so I wouldn't want it anyway.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Kathleen Kennedy, Jennifer Lee, and Feige should all be replaced. Funny how they can fire as many low level workers as they want and nobody bats an eye but when you point out maybe they should start at the top people get angry and defensive. Have no idea why 

How about Pete Docter?

14 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I wasn't impressed with Vanessa either, which isn't encouraging for the Fantastic Four reboot coming up.

Is this a joke? There's nothing for her to play in Fantastic Four, it's not some deep or complex character, it's just cartoonish blockbuster character, she'll do just fine. She was really good in Napoleon, c'mon.

Edited by Firepower

First, as always, this is not a personal attack on anyones movie preferences, this is just my opinion. I feel like i need to state this first, since otherwise, flame wars are sometimes started.

Regarding Wish: Maybe im in a clear minority here, but what bothered me from the start with this movie is the 2D background combined with the 3D animation. I hate that. Just do it in full 2D! Because honestly, im so tired of Disneys 3D animation.

Id MUCH rather rewatch their 50s and 60s classics instead of movies like Raya and the Last Dragon, Frozen 2, Encanto or Wish. Because visually, all of these films are just not interesting to me. I really really miss Disneys 2D animation which is essentially timeless, whereas their 3D animated films will look worse with every passing year that 3D animation progresses.

Its a bit strange for me, since for example i love the Shrek/HTTYD universe films and of course most of the 3D animated movies from Pixar. But its probably because ive always associated those studios (Pixar/Dreamworks) with 3D animation anyway, so they dont matter in this regard for me. By comparison, the best Disney animated movies by quite a margin imo are 2D-animated. 

And i do think going back to 2D animation would bring back some former moviegoers who maybe dont watch their new animated movies not only because of the mediocre scripts, but also because of their look. Since 2D animation has been dead for decades now in western movie theaters, doing one now would actually be seen as something new and refreshing. And it probably coudnt do worse numbers than Wish anyway.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Kathleen Kennedy, Jennifer Lee, and Feige should all be replaced. Funny how they can fire as many low level workers as they want and nobody bats an eye but when you point out maybe they should start at the top people get angry and defensive. Have no idea why 

If you want to talk about top people, why not talk about the people who are above the creatives? We should be asking if Iger is making things better or making them worse since his return. Like what exactly is his plan to get Disney out of the hole they are in?

22 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

should not be the case for a historic epic. 

Issue is the way this movie was done. At first, Ridley wanted to make it solely about the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Then, Phoenix wanted to make it more epic, resulting in this movie's huge mess. The director's cut will probably go deeper into their relationship making it more coherent. But yeah he should have kept it as is and not listen to Phoenix. Marketing was also solely focus on the epic aspect, which while good to sell tickets isn't really sincere. To tell Napoleon's story, you either need a movie trilogy or a limited series with multiple actors like The Crown did. It's impossible to fit in one movie.

Edited by elothar

2 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

If you want to talk about top people, why not talk about the people who are above the creatives? We should be asking if Iger is making things better or making them worse since his return. Like what exactly is his plan to get Disney out of the hole they are in?

I believe Iger made it clear that his plan is to play it safe by focusing on sequels to their more popular animated films, which is why they’ve announced more Frozen movies, another Toy Story and a long awaited Zootopia sequel. 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I believe Iger made it clear that his plan is to play it safe by focusing on sequels to their more popular animated films, which is why they’ve announced more Frozen movies, another Toy Story and a long awaited Zootopia sequel. 

Which sounds like a dumb plan to me considering Indy V and The Marvels are sequels.............

The thing with Disney is, it’s very hard trying to be Disney and Netflix at the same time. Netflix gets some crap around here for skipping theaters, but the truth is most Netflix movies would not do well in theaters. Something like Gray Man can rack up big streaming numbers (at least initially) but there’s no appetite for paying theater prices to see their mediocre content. It wouldn’t be worth the marketing spend and bad headlines when their films underperformed. Disney has a lot of market penetration with Disney+ and that’s a giant audience that will wait for streaming unless WOM is glowing. Putting out mediocre content kills them theatrically because their most loyal audience is comfortable waiting for streaming and that’s especially true for families who already bristle at the expense of going to the movies. It’s easier for a company like Universal to do well in this environment because they have a streamer that no one wants. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Disney wagging a culture war on half of the population of the United States never made much sense to me. Especially, considering that conservative generally have more kids than their liberal counterparts. 

I don’t see how Disney are the ones waging a culture war. That’s what Ron DeSantis and a bu ch of conservative grifters who have a hate-boner for Kathleen Kennedy and Brie Larson have been doing. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The thing with Disney is, it’s very hard trying to be Disney and Netflix at the same time. Netflix gets some crap around here for skipping theaters, but the truth is most Netflix movies would not do well in theaters. Something like Gray Man can rack up big streaming numbers (at least initially) but there’s no appetite for paying theater prices to see their mediocre content. It wouldn’t be worth the marketing spend and bad headlines when their films underperformed. Disney has a lot of market penetration with Disney+ and that’s a giant audience that will wait for streaming unless WOM is glowing. Putting out mediocre content kills them theatrically because their most loyal audience is comfortable waiting for streaming and that’s especially true for families who already bristle at the expense of going to the movies. It’s easier for a company like Universal to do well in this environment because they have a streamer that no one wants. 

Disney very clearly wants to focus on streaming, and get kids and families used to watching their films on their streaming app. But right now, the theater is still alive *enough* that you can't ignore it. I mean, for all the talk on less focus on Streaming, they're still releasing a ton of streaming exclusives.

They're 100% preparing themselves for a future where people don't go to theaters often.

21 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Universal has a streaming service?

34 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Regarding Wish: Maybe im in a clear minority here, but what bothered me from the start with this movie is the 2D background combined with the 3D animation. I hate that. Just do it in full 2D! Because honestly, im so tired of Disneys 3D animation.

Its literally a lost art. They just don't have the people who can do it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Disney wagging a culture war on half of the population of the United States never made much sense to me. Especially, considering that conservative generally have more kids than their liberal counterparts. 

Waging a culture war by......occassionally including a gay or black character in the most milquetoast way possible with no direct reference to them beyond their mere existence? I'm not a Disney guy but seems like the people getting mad at that are more of the bad guys.

• Like 24