Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

The weekend started off with the family forcing me to watch Genie - a direct to Peacock movie starring Melissa McCartney as a genie in the modern day. I don’t know if I have seen a worse movie in years. There are no scarier words in the movie business than direct to streaming starring Melissa McCartney.

Fortunately the weekend ended tonight with a rewatch of Gone Girl. I don’t know if it is better than Se7en or Zodiac but it is right up there with them as my favorite Fincher film. It is so unsavory but so damn fun. A truly enjoyable flick I can watch time and time again. Everything about it is damn near perfect.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

They're expecting to gain subscribers, though. And between KotFM, Napoleon, and Argyle, I don't think they're going to get an equivalent amount of subscribers to equate for how much that was spent on all three films.

Probably not but that's Apple's  problem not mine. If Argyle is worth seeing in a theater in the First weekend of Feb dead zone I will be happy.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

The weekend started off with the family forcing me to watch Genie - a direct to Peacock movie starring Melissa McCartney as a genie in the modern day. I don’t know if I have seen a worse movie in years. There are no scarier words in the movie business than direct to streaming starring Melissa McCartney.

Fortunately the weekend ended tonight with a rewatch of Gone Girl. I don’t know if it is better than Se7en or Zodiac but it is right up there with them as my favorite Fincher film. It is so unsavory but so damn fun. A truly enjoyable flick I can watch time and time again. Everything about it is damn near perfect.

When Gone Girl came out, I genuinely thought that was going to be the movie which makes Rosamund Pike a star and gets her a lot more opportunities. Instead it's been pretty much nothing of note since that movie. I know she decided to concentrate on family for a bit there but no reason Hollywood couldn't offer her better roles.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When Gone Girl came out, I genuinely thought that was going to be the movie which makes Rosamund Pike a star and gets her a lot more opportunities. Instead it's been pretty much nothing of note since that movie. I know she decided to concentrate on family for a bit there but no reason Hollywood couldn't offer her better roles.

Pike is supposedly the best thing about Saltburn so she can still deliver a terrific performance. I need to see it this week to confirm.

• Like 1

Speaking of the streaming dead zone  watched Glass Onion again for the first time since seeing it in a theater last Thanksgiving weekend. It is a good as Knives Out if not better. Netflix not keeping that a theater exclusive through the holidays was so dumb. It just vanished in to the Netflix algorithim ether it seems like. This is why what Apple is doing with Killers, Nappy, and Argyle is so much smarter. Being a theatrical exclusive  for a normal window keeps the conversation going.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 2

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Speaking of the streaming dead zone  watched Glass Onion again for the first time since seeing it in a theater last Thanksgiving weekend. It is a good as Knives Out if not better. Netflix not keeping that a theater exclusive through the holidays was so dumb. It just vanished in to the Netflix algorithim ether it seems like. This is why what Apple is doing with Killers, Nappy, and Argyle is so much smarter. Being a theatrical exclusive  for a normal window keeps the conversation going.

I thought it was a noticeable step down in quality from knives out.

Stuck out a lot during a rewatch.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Big issue for Argylle is that these kinds of Bullet Train-style action comedies all get boosted by having some big A-list actor leading the production. Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock/Channing Tatum, Brad Pitt. Fall Guy's probably going to do strong money with both Emily Blunt and Ryan Gosling fresh off his biggest hit ever. Argylle's big headlining actor is...*checks notes* Sam Rockwell. That's not exciting enough.

It looks like a worse version of the lost city to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dominic Draper said:

I think this is true but it’s still good. Knives Out is just another level. I feel like with murder mysteries you have to accept each entry will be up and down in quality. There’s more to be gained viewing each entry individually then comparing them to other entries. That’s my approach anyway.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Netflix didn’t keep it in theaters because it actively regards theaters as competition. Their CEO said they were leaving a lot of money on the table by taking it out of cinemas but as far as they’re concerned people going out to the movies means they aren’t binging on Netflix.

• Like 1

Never agreed with the first Knives Out being better. It is a fun film and all but I had the culprit and how he did it figured out within like 15-20 minutes. The second one is still reasonably obvious but there are more attempts at misdirection.

Still, both are good as far as I'm concerned.

6 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Never agreed with the first Knives Out being better. It is a fun film and all but I had the culprit and how he did it figured out within like 15-20 minutes. The second one is still reasonably obvious but there are more attempts at misdirection.

Still, both are good as far as I'm concerned.

See, I solved the 2nd right away, and then wondered if I really saw it right...

But even solving it so soon, the watch was enjoyable on how they got to the finish...

12 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

I think Glass Onion has a lot of cool twists and turns, but visually it is pretty bad. The first Knives Out was given a 35mm look to it, don't know why they didn't keep that for this.

Not a big believer "I worked it out" as bad for a murder mystery. Your supposed to be able to. The trick for the film making is to create even a small bit of doubt until the reveal.

All that happens when film makers obsess about surprising audiences is they add twists that only use elements introduced late in the story.