Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

12 hours ago, M37 said:

This comparison is misunderstanding the data.  A film like Heron is going to play well in big cities, but not have much depth in middle and especially lower tier markets. That Aquaman 2 isn’t relying as heavily on the big markets, but filling seats more or less everywhere, is better for the industry

Unless ones goal is to reduce movie-going to a cinephile, niche audience and kill a lot of those mid and lower theaters 

Of course that’s what they want, it’s Film Twitter.

• Like 3

About to see Iron Claw in a few minutes, brother and I are seeing Boy and the Heron tomorrow, family's going to the Eagles game on Chirstmas Day. Gonna be a fun weekend, before I get through the catchup rush of seeing everything else. Exciting time for the movies. Hooray!

• Like 10
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Is the Wonka drop worse than expected? Haven't followed but thought the weekdays were pretty strong.

The overall drop is fine especially factoring in pre-holiday depression, but there was some hope earlier in the week it was going to track closer to Ferdinand off those M-W dailies, which had a huge +28% Thursday and go for $20M+, but instead Thur was -4% and weekend will be around -50% 

It’s just a weekday heavier audience, a flatter daily pattern than a pure animated film (as the smaller Sat increase from TFri on OW already suggested)

• Like 1

Attended a matinee showing of Poor Things. It’s a mixed bag for me. Once you accept the central premise of the movie as being possible in this cinematic universe, there are some entertaining and funny moments. On the flip side, some of it is simply too absurd and too prurient to serve any purpose. Then there was the clerical error of mixing up God and Goat on the last scene. Stone was terrific throughout as she fully committed to the role in every regard.

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is gonna be an epic showdown

Most over-powered weekend possible for legs, literally every day from Christmas to New Years is a Saturday

vs

super toxic word of mouth,

I think this happened before in 2017 with The Last Jedi. 

Just now, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I think this happened before in 2017 with The Last Jedi. 

This is different because of calendar configurations. TLJ was the pre-pre-Christmas weekend. Aquaman is just on the pre-Christmas weekend with the weekend being deflated by Christmas Eve and every day from Dec 25 to Jan 1 is basically a Saturday.

Sucks for Aquaman as i liked the first film, but like i said many times on here, the film is a part of a dead universe that everyone already knows is getting rebooted.

I mean i have no desire to see the film because of that, and i liked the first film!.

No idea why WB announced the reboot so early when they knew they still had multiple films coming for the defunkt universe, films that all pretty much flopped because of it.