Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

We have lot of movies with amazing CGI and none of them ever get close to Avatar popularity 

Sure Avatar is more impressive visually, but visuals alone is never enough to create a cultural phenomenon. 

I’m fully aware it’s the visuals that makes the biggest impression, which is why everyone talks about it, but if the story wasn’t compelling, nobody would tolerate it for 3 hours and still give it a high praise

So yeah obviously the story is very common and cliche, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when it’s well done, and it is well done.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Christmas Box Office Down -7% From 2022: ‘Aquaman 2’ $40M, ‘Wonka’ $28M; ‘Ferrari’ & ‘Boys In The Boat’ Launch Previews – Monday Update

CHRISTMAS DAY AM UPDATE: Refresh for more… We told you it was going to be slow yesterday, and indeed it was with Warner Bros’ Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom and Wonka the top two highest grossing movies of the day with respectively $5M and $4.55M. Warners believes it can still get the James Wan directed DC movie to $40M in 4-days after a projected $12.3M today, +146% from Christmas Eve. 3-day came in at $27.7M. Wonka‘s second weekend is $18M, -54% for what’s shaping up to be a 4-day of $28M.

Jumping into the fray yesterday were two adult-demo movies which are opening today: Amazon MGM’s George Clooney directed, The Boys in the Boat with $1.74M in previews and NEON’s U.S. pick-up of STX’s Ferrari with $656K. Both pic’s tickets sales from yesterday will be rolled into today’s

• Like 1

Looks to me that overall, the top 10 could be in range of $60M for today, a value which would be land as the 11th best single day of the year (removing previews), and could maybe push up higher to around $65M, which would be 7th. Big jump needed rank higher though

Top 2023 Grossing Days (excluding previews)
Rank Date Day T10 Gross Top Title(s)
1 22-Jul SAT $98.74 Barbenheimer
2 21-Jul FRI $89.37 Barbenheimer
3 23-Jul SUN $86.89 Barbenheimer
4 8-Apr SAT $79.04 Mario
5 29-Jul SAT $78.49 Barbenheimer, Mansion
6 7-Apr FRI $73.78 Mario
7 3-Jun SAT $70.28 ATSV, TLM
8 30-Jul SUN $64.18 Barbenheimer, Mansion
9 28-Jul FRI $63.58 Barbenheimer, Mansion
10 5-Aug SAT $63.52 Barbie, Meg 2, TMNT

To put these 2023 numbers in some perspective, last year's Xmas Day T10 was only $43M, with Boxing Day landing at $46M.  In fact, only 6 days in all of 2021 and 2022 saw the top 10 pull in at least $70M: The FSS of NWH opening weekend ($78, $82, $70), plus the opening Sat of Thor (7/09 - $78), JWD (6/11 - $73), and Strange MoM (5/07 - $71).

Note: both 2022 and 2023 Cinema Days would rank high on these lists in terms of raw admissions

We'll see what kind of actual numbers Santa brings, but not bad for a "weak" Christmas release schedule

• Like 5

Just now, Issac Newton said:

Christmas Box Office Down -7% From 2022: ‘Aquaman 2’ $40M, ‘Wonka’ $28M; ‘Ferrari’ & ‘Boys In The Boat’ Launch Previews – Monday Update

The Boys in the Boat at $1.74 Million, really good and not so far from the $2M I was seeing in MSP. Maybe I’m not overindexing a ton here after all!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

We have lot of movies with amazing CGI and none of them ever get close to Avatar popularity 

Sure Avatar is more impressive visually, but visuals alone is never enough to create a cultural phenomenon. 

I’m fully aware it’s the visuals that makes the biggest impression, which is why everyone talks about it, but if the story wasn’t compelling, nobody would tolerate it for 3 hours and still give it a high praise

So yeah obviously the story is very common and cliche, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing when it’s well done, and it is well done.

And the great legs was almost everywhere. From euro to US, from LATAM to Asia. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Being VERY optimistic about the post Christmas run I see

13.3m on CD? That is highest than true Friday itself, a very high bar for a B cinemascore movie.

The movie already drop to number 2 in China on Monday and most likely Tue too, before any major competition kicks in. Clearly WOM isn't moving in Aqua favour.   

Just now, Borobudur said:

13.3m on CD? That is highest than true Friday itself, a very high bar for a B cinemascore movie.

The movie already drop to number 2 in China on Monday and most likely Tue too, before any major competition kicks in. Clearly WOM isn't moving in Aqua favour.   

I mean, they're not even trying to market it or make it look enticing. They're just claiming people will show up by default.

'No one cares about AVATARTM'. except on forums like this where poeple never shut up about it.

I thought this kind of talk ended after A2 grossed 2.3bil, and would possibly of hit 3bil with a Russia gross, and a none covid infested China. At least it did for a while.

If no one cared about it, it wouldnt of made what it did, or likewise big budget effects films would be hitting similar grosses all the time. Except they dont.

In fact since A2 released we have had big budget flop after big budget flop, and for me it just elevates A2's gross even more that it could gross what it did in the current climate of big budget films flopping left and right.

Now get the excuses ready for A3 when it also grosses 2bil, you have time to get your 'facts' in order.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Amazon MGM’s George Clooney directed, The Boys in the Boat with $1.74M in previews

shocked jurassic park GIF

Is Boys in the Boat going to pull a mini Daddy’s Home? 

Hey @Cmasterclay, here’s that surprise you were asking for 

• Like 1

Both Avatar combined made $5.1b , without adding any re-release grosses. That is more than what EG+IW combined. And both Avatar made it to the final 10 of the Oscar Best picture list. That is a complete success story that many couldn't even envision. Aquaman flopping is another reminder just how big Avatar achievement was. And it isn't like Aquaman was not a December player this round, so there shouldn't be any "Ohh, because Avatar opened in December when everyone is free for movie!" BS.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I think its 12,3….

• Like 1