Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

Clearly that Oprah's Favorite Things connection helped really boost the numbers for The Color Purple out the gate. Given how much Broadway adaptations have struggled lately even $80-90M total isn't bad at all for it.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, M37 said:

With that said, because of the audience demo skew, having softer weekdays but stronger weekends relative to the field should be expected, even during the holidays. Fences for example, had a +45% Fri 12/30, while no other film in the top 10 was higher than +25%, and would expect TCP to have a similar higher Fri weekend jump

Huh, good point. Conceptually why is that? I'd have expected the opposite? 

6 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I've just realised something. Assuming TCP's budget is actually $90m-$100m (from Oprah's interview)... the movie can be considered a bomb, right? It's not gonna do much overseas.

oprah will tell her fans to buy it on digital/physical and it'll be okay in the long run 

but yes, since it likely isn't making more than 150 million its a flop/bomb

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I'd assume because pretty much every kid is out of school while adults still have to go to work (for the most part). It's the same reason why adult-skewing movies have stronger Friday and Saturday bumps than kid/family movies in the peak summer months of June and July.

edit: Oh my response was more about the age rather than racial part of the demos.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I'd assume because pretty much every kid is out of school while adults still have to go to work (for the most part). It's the same reason why adult-skewing movies have stronger Friday and Saturday bumps than kid/family movies in the peak summer months of June and July.

Fair, I was mentally putting this film in a third category where you're playing old enough as to capture a decent portion of retirees who would seem to be more indifferent towards weekday/weekend but I'm probably just overstating that effect.

edit: 

edit: Oh my response was more about the age rather than racial part of the demos.

honestly, I was thinking about age when I said it but I'm also very interested in hearing about if race/race+age has specific dynamics as hinted by fences comp.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I've just realised something. Assuming TCP's budget is actually $90m-$100m (from Oprah's interview)... the movie can be considered a bomb, right? It's not gonna do much overseas.

Honestly, I didn't know the budget for TCP to be so much.

I'm pretty sure the movie will be profitable at the end, but it will be hard to breakeven in the box office.

Edited by Kon

32 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Aquaman's drops are pretty concerning though, even by its low epxectations; where Wonka and Migration are both above their Saturday grosses, Aquaman is now 33% below it. If it follows the daily pattern of Last Jedi through Sunday, it would have a $14.4M second weekend and a $73.2M 10-day total.

Keep in mind TLJ actually declined from Wed 12/29 to Fri 12/30. Aquaman 2 seems to playing OK to casuals - bigger holiday numbers - and WOM is fine, not toxic, and I think it tracks closer to say Pitch Perfect 3 (if not between that and Father Figures) from that year

42 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Aquaman 2 : 16M (-42% with previews !!!, -31% without previews) (3 Days , around 21M with New Year Day

Yeah, this sounds about right

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Let this be a lesson not to write off original kids movies based on presales

It would still be crazy to have two animated movies have a 10+ multiplier in successive holidays (in fact, pretty much the same weekend).

3 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It would still be crazy to have two animated movies have a 10+ multiplier in successive holidays (in fact, pretty much the same weekend).

Chalk it up to shrewdly exploiting the dead winter release schedule. I'm still not sure if theaters will keep Migration around as long as Puss, but I do think that Uni fully intended to play the long game with both of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Speedorito said:

Inside Out. Which also happened to be an original film that didn’t have “the savior of Hollywood” as the lead.

So a movie that came out when the overall market was 40% larger and had 3 weeks uninterrupted as the go to kids movie? Not sure it helps your argument

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Chalk it up to shrewdly exploiting the dead winter release schedule. I'm still not sure if theaters will keep Migration around as long as Puss, but I do think that Uni fully intended to play the long game with both of them.

January and February both look pretty dead for the most part with not many releases, so it's reasonable to assume that it'll stick around for as long as it's making enough money that theaters won't ditch it at the first opportunity they can find.

35 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Migration's number isn't boring. It's gonna have perhaps the best legs of a wide release this year.

Eh, Migration being the primary movie for parents to take kids under 10 too is taking advantage of that like Sing 2 and Puss 2 did the last 2 years.  

12 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

25 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

honestly, I was thinking about age when I said it but I'm also very interested in hearing about if race/race+age has specific dynamics as hinted by fences comp.

Its a socioeconomic effect: weekdays lean towards older, higher income and whiter audiences, weekends younger, lower income, and more diverse. In the holiday period that effect is very muted, but still apparent

Movies are a social event, so dependent not on when individuals are free, but rather groups can get together, and that impacts the daily flow

• Like 5