Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

31 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Went to see Anyone But You today. Big group of teens talking loudly in the room. Ruined the whole experience, and you all wonder why older people don't come back to theaters? My tolerance for this shit is absolutely zero as I turned 30 a couple of months ago. My girlfriend was unpleased as well. She went from "we should come see Mean Girls" at the beginning to "maybe we should see these type of movies at home" by the end. It was the first time I took her to theaters since October and we just wanted to have a fun time together.

Ironic, I was sure it was younger people who didn't go to theaters.

Still, I don't think Mean Girls will appeal to teenage girls so much. It's a nostalgia movie, it's pretty likely the main audience will be older.

Edited by Kon

20 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm always rooting for him, but I have no faith in him. Dumbo broke me. He also did the unimaginable and directed a bad performance from Keaton.

Yeah, that was a rough sit. Nothing more soul-crushing than watching a director whose early work you admire sell out so badly. I do hope that film bombing hard was a wake-up call for him to actually try again. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I’ve said before Burton just needs to get away from Disney. It’s such an awkward and mismatched marriage, way too many collabs between them. Not a coincidence Nightmare wasn’t even allowed to be a “Disney” film at the time of release. 

His only non-Disney misfires of the last 20 years are Charlie and Dark Shadows imo. Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, Corpse Bride, Big Eyes, and Peregrine range from decent to great. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I feel like I’m just getting lucky at this point because I haven’t had a bad crowd. Even when I saw Barbie on opening night no one was annoying.

I’ve said this before but I plan what theatre I go to depending on the day and time now.  Anyone But You - I’ll either to the boutique cinema, or a matinee when kids are back at school. 

I saw Godzilla today, on a Saturday at midday in a multiplex. Knew it would have a decent crowd due to subtitles and was right.

Sad that we even have to think tactically about these things but that’s the reality now. Multiplex theatres do nothing to police it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d say that Tim Burton hasn’t directed a good live action film since Sleepy Hollow, but I’ve never seen Big Fish. 

1 minute ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Big Fish is awesome and underrated as hell, but make sure you have some tissues with ya when you watch it :) 

big fish is pretty good.

• Like 3

Geez, the TCP numbers though… I really don’t understand why the seemingly great WOM is doing nothing here. That is looking like  a disastrous sub 4x OD multi, which when you consider something like BvS or The Marvels still managed 4x OD multi is completely insane. Whoever I mocked for asking if it could miss 100 with a 25 OD… apparently it could have : ( 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ve said this before but I plan what theatre I go to depending on the day and time now.  Anyone But You - I’ll either to the boutique cinema, or a matinee when kids are back at school. 

I saw Godzilla today, on a Saturday at midday in a multiplex. Knew it would have a decent crowd due to subtitles and was right.

Sad that we even have to think tactically about these things but that’s the reality now. Multiplex theatres do nothing to police it. 

Actually I remember seeing ATSV on Saturday morning during opening weekend and at the end some guy shouted “Boo! Cliffhangers suck!” which deflated the energy in the room.

But yeah, strategic planning is part of what I do and is more necessary now, which really sucks. Especially if you’re like me and don’t have the patience to wait a few weeks for crowds to die down.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Geez, the TCP numbers though… I really don’t understand why the seemingly great WOM is doing nothing here. That is looking like  a disastrous sub 4x OD multi, which when you consider something like BvS or The Marvels still managed 4x OD multi is completely insane. 

We might have to start thinking about TCP as more like a niche genre film where the rabid fanbase comes out right away but the GA doesn’t care.

2 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

We might have to start thinking about TCP as more like a niche genre film where the rabid fanbase comes out right away but the GA doesn’t care.

The performance is still completely shocking though. Ali was the biggest example of CD frontloading we had before and consider that TCP has already dropped below Ali’s daily grossed after a nearly 2x CD gross. It will finish sub 60 if it keeps that pace, which I feel like would have to be some kind of record for all time low wide opening day multi? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Geez, the TCP numbers though… I really don’t understand why the seemingly great WOM is doing nothing here. That is looking like  a disastrous sub 4x OD multi, which when you consider something like BvS or The Marvels still managed 4x OD multi is completely insane. Whoever I mocked for asking if it could miss 100 with a 25 OD… apparently it could have : ( 

The good WOM isn't really attracting people outside the main demographic. To be fair, the premise could be alienating.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kon said:

The good WOM isn't really attracting people outside the main demographic. To be fair, the premise could be alienating.

I just don’t think that makes a lot of sense to explain such an unprecedented plummet. Like 5-6x CD OD multi? Sure, that could make sense. 3x is absurd though (for something we can assume doesn’t have toxic WOM) 

Edited by MovieMan89

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The performance is still completely shocking though. Ali was the biggest example of CD frontloading we had before and consider that TCP has already dropped below Ali’s daily grossed after a nearly 2x CD gross. It will finish sub 60 if it keeps that pace, which I feel like would have to be some kind of record for all time low wide opening day multi? 

Yeah, it’s likely to set some records it would rather not set. Maybe something happens and it stabilizes to make up some ground, but right now it looks more like what I’d expect if it were Dragonball: Purple.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Actually I remember seeing ATSV on Saturday morning during opening weekend and at the end some guy shouted “Boo! Cliffhangers suck!” which deflated the energy in the room.

Some teenage girl in my (first) viewing said fairly loudly “oh come on” and the crowd actually got a good chuckle out of it 

But I am very strategic in when I go to the movies these days; most of the time I stray away from bigger crowds (because too many people are just inconsiderate), and especially try to avoid the teenagers 

• Like 1