JustWatching

Weekdays Thread 1/2 - 1/4

12 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Anyone But You is in the top 3 for the first time !!! , again a great hold , very exciting by this performance this weekend

Staying above $2M is impressive.

This only dropped 28% from last week Thursday that's a quasi holiday. It's very hard to find any examples of films following that pattern during this corridor.

I think this is still likely to be something that plays stronger weeknights than other leggy holiday hits from previous years, so we can't get too aggressive on expectations just yet. This weekend will give us a lot of information though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Easily mother of all bombs. It happened during a season where we have yet to see a 200m grosser(its going to happen with Wonka but that is well after Marvels run). Looking at equity that MCU built, I dont think there has been a bigger BO Bomb ever. 

I can't see Wonka missing $200M Domestically. It doesn't have any competition until Dune 2.

• Like 1

Lol did anyone have Anyone But You outcrossing The Color Purple on their bingo card a month ago? Because we might have to start considering that possibility.

Also, this is one unique instance where our faith in the tracking team led us astray. Under normal circumstances, without prior knowledge of Xmas day presales, I would not have thought TCP might become a 150M+ grosser, and would have predicted something closer to 70-80M. Now, obviously this isn’t a bad reflection on the tracking team, since BOTers literally only could work with the data we had, and that was what the data was showing us, but it does show that there are still surprises to be had at the box office even with the clairvoyants we have working with us.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol did anyone have Anyone But You outcrossing The Color Purple on their bingo card a month ago? Because we might have to start considering that possibility.

Also, this is one unique instance where our faith in the tracking team led us astray. Under normal circumstances, without prior knowledge of Xmas day presales, I would not have thought TCP might become a 150M+ grosser, and would have predicted something closer to 70-80M. Now, obviously this isn’t a bad reflection on the tracking team, since BOTers literally only could work with the data we had, and that was what the data was showing us, but it does show that there are still surprises to be had at the box office even with the clairvoyants we have working with us.

I did see the presales skewed OD big time. Day 2 was tiny fraction of OD and day 3 also dropped hard from day 2. That said I expected better walkups for the movie considering reviews were strong and I expected WOM from big OD to help with overall BO. But it is a niche movie. Almost behaved like a concert movie.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

On Anyone But You beating TCP, you can replace a "month ago" with a "week ago". And I think it's more than possibility at this stage. It's the likelihood, but not guaranteed.

As for the miss, tracking caught the opening day surge. I think the trackers that saw that coming should be commended. That drop though. Even with the data that was there, I think it's hard to assume a drop off of this level.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There were people who expected strong drops after Christmas day in the tracking (although I doubt they expected so big drops), but the big number for CD was really misleading.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, vafrow said:

On Anyone But You beating TCP, you can replace a "month ago" with a "week ago". And I think it's more than possibility at this stage. It's the likelihood, but not guaranteed.

As for the miss, tracking caught the opening day surge. I think the trackers that saw that coming should be commended. That drop though. Even with the data that was there, I think it's hard to assume a drop off of this level.

Well, the pre-sales were a little misleading even for Christmas Day.

18M for Christmas Day was received with a slight dissapoinment (not to mention the "real" CD was around 16M).

Edited by Kon

19 hours ago, Justin said:

Well there was the remake of Hellboy from 2019. That one has a multi a bit lower with 1.82x.

Well hey, one is better than none so it doesn’t get that dubious title of being the lowest lol. I really wasn’t finding a lower one, forgot about Hellboy (apparently everyone did haha) 

Yeah those weekday holds for ABY can really only be explained by WOM exploding. This thing might hit 100 with how dead the early year is, let’s see how big it jumps over the weekend 

Edited by MovieMan89