filmlover

The 81st Annual Golden Globes live feed thread

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MikeQ said:

Jo Koy was a pretty terrible host - no offence to him as a comedian when he's in his own element. The jokes were lacklustre, at best, and super cringe at worst - and not delivered in a confident or incisive manner.

It is possible to be a good host. When Tina Fey & Amy Poehler hosted from 2013-2015, these were the best hosted awards shows I've ever seen. I'll legitimately go back and watch the opening monologues from those years - sharp, well executed, topical jokes that hit their targets but were delivered in a way that felt good natured and fun.

Peace,

Mike

The issue is finding the right host for these awards shows these days. That seems easier said than done.

Weeks ago it was reported that Jo Koy wasn't even close to their first pick. Ali Wong (an actual winner last night) flat out told them "no" to hosting. They also tried to do the trio of hosts thing (with Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and Sean Hayes) and abandoned it after they all declined.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

The Oscars are literally more than two months from now. La La Land won the most Golden Globes ever. Glenn Close's acceptance speech at the Globes cemented her Oscar win, they said.

I mean, I think the winners have strong chances with the Academy but so many sure things have fallen flat in the end.

Also I don't like the new trophy design, they look kind of dirty.

Reviews for the show itself are pans. Good job trying to rebrand yourself, Golden Globes!

Really was one of the dullest award shows I could ever remember watching. The only time I laughed was Elizabeth Debicki being jump scared by the announcer rudely (and hilariously) cutting off Jonathan Bailey and Julia Garner's intro.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Oscars are literally more than two months from now. La La Land won the most Golden Globes ever. Glenn Close's acceptance speech at the Globes cemented her Oscar win, they said.

I mean, I think the winners have strong chances with the Academy but so many sure things have fallen flat in the end.

Also I don't like the new trophy design, they look kind of dirty.

The farther we get from that moment, the more it feels like that was it for Glenn Close, especially with the Sunset Blvd musical adaptation being shelved. If she actually manages to win an Oscar, it will be as an underdog for a nomination no one believes she will win for.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

The farther we get from that moment, the more it feels like that was it for Glenn Close, especially with the Sunset Blvd musical adaptation being shelved. If she actually manages to win an Oscar, it will be as an underdog for a nomination no one believes she will win for.

I mean, she did get nominated for that ghastly turd Hillbilly Elegy (and at the Razzies too) two years after that. She really needs to find a project that people actually embrace overall instead of middling projects like The Wife or Albert Nobbs where she gives the material more than it's really worth.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They're bringing a minimalist reinterpretation of Sunset Boulevard to Broadway that got rave reviews on the West End...starring Nicole Scherzinger. So even if Apple suddenly decided to fund $200 million at a movie adaptation it won't come with a time machine.

Maybe they were talking about something...more important:

The Only Murders in the Building star, 31, was seen seemingly spilling some tea to her pals in a now-viral moment caught on camera, but "she was absolutely not referencing anything about Timothée or Kylie," says the source.

While rumors spread on social media that Jenner, 26, stopped her boyfriend, 28, from taking a photo with Gomez at the event, the source adds that Gomez "never even saw or spoke to them."

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Forgot the most popular movie award or whatever existed. I don't even know how you would accept an award like that tbh. Feels like a painstakingly embarrassing award to win.

That's basically the People's Choice Awards.  Keep these kind of popularity awards the hell away from Oscars and Emmys, dear god.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Forgot the most popular movie award or whatever existed. I don't even know how you would accept an award like that tbh. Feels like a painstakingly embarrassing award to win.

If you watch Gerwig and Robbie's speech, the "gee thanks, I guess" energy whenever one accepts a compliment that isn't actually a compliment really jumps out. :lol:

Meanwhile:

Golden Globes Host Jo Koy Is Sad About Panned Monologue, Swift’s Reaction – The Hollywood Reporter

I guess the Oscars are feeling good right now that they're no longer the only awards show leaving a trail of scared hosting victims in its wake.

Ratings went up quite a bit! 

Golden Globes Ratings Up 50% With 9.4 Million Viewers on CBS

Always find the Reddit-style doomposting about awards shows silly, sure the ratings will never reach their heyday, but that applies to nothing on TV sans football. I had a good time watching the Globes last night and I'm glad the ratings improved. Same for last year's Oscars.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

The internet’s losing its shit for this but Hilary swank did it first post-Oscars. 

hilary.jpg

Still one of the best awards show related photos ever.

It's actually become a tradition of sorts lol, Joaquin Phoenix and Rooney Mara were photographed eating fast food after his Oscar win a few years back. Gotta love these little reminders that these rich celebrities, at the end of the day, are just regular people like the rest of us.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Didn't think browsing BOT would make me hungry for some In n Out

Is the hype for it legit? Or is it just Californians trying to act like they're special?