filmlover

The 81st Annual Golden Globes live feed thread

2 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

I wonder if the Golden Globes have some rule about who is allowed to accept the award? Joe Hisaishi and some of the English dub actors were in attendance, so it's not like there wasn't anybody associated with the movie around. I think the Oscars tightened their rules because of the Sacheen Littlefeather incident (not sure if that applies to all awards or just the individual ones) so maybe the GGs have similar restrictions?

They probably just weren't able to find the time or travel to attend tbh. A lot of the acting nominees are also no-shows tonight. It happens often.

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Nolan, Cillian and Downey should win Oscars as well. Oppenheimer impact is too big across the board at this point to not win it all including Best Picture. Plus Ludwig and Hoyte should also win. Another year for Giamatti or Cooper. 

Emma Stone is also sure to win Best Actress. 

Last year most Golden Globes winners went empty handed at the Oscars. Not saying it will happen this year as well, but these GG awards mean almost nothing in regards to the Oscars

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They probably just weren't able to find the time or travel to attend tbh. A lot of the acting nominees are also no-shows tonight. It happens often.

Well yes, but I'm speaking in terms of having someone else on the team accept the award on their behalf.

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Nolan, Cillian and Downey should win Oscars as well. Oppenheimer impact is too big across the board at this point to not win it all including Best Picture. Plus Ludwig and Hoyte should also win. Another year for Giamatti or Cooper. 

Emma Stone is also sure to win Best Actress. 

Agree with almost everything, but i think the battle between Cillian and Paul is not over at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Since Hollywood awards ceremonies have become completely unwatchable, somebody post all the wins here when its over

kthxbai

Movies

Picture: Oppemheimer

Director: Nolan

Drama Actor: Murphy

Drama Actress: Gladstone

Comedy: Poor Things

Comedy Actress: Stone

Comedy Actor: Giamatti

Supporting Actor: RDJ

Supporting Actress: Randolph

Score: Goransson (Oppenheimer)

Song: Eilish What Am I Made For (Barbie)

Script: Triet

Foreign: Anatomy

Animated: Boy and the Heron

Boxoffice:Barbie

TV

Limited: Beef

Actor Limited: Yeun

Actress Limited: Wong

Comedy: Bear

Comedy Actor: White

Comedy Actress: Edebiri

Drama: Succession

Drama Actor: Culkin

Drama Actress: Snook

Supporting Actor: McFayden

Supporting Actress: Debicki

Standup Comedy: Gervais

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As much as I am rooting for Oppenheimer, I was sort of hoping the movie losing at GG because GG has too much track record of attracting backlash. La la land, three billboard, 1917 and the power of dog, no matter how strong the way they looked as frontrunner, the backlash cost them Oscar eventually. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

As much as I am rooting for Oppenheimer, I was sort of hoping the movie losing at GG because GG has too much track record of attracting backlash. La la land, three billboard, 1917 and the power of dog, no matter how strong the way they looked as frontrunner, the backlash cost them Oscar eventually. 

Eh, those movies lost for reasons other than backlash. Everyone trying to take down Green Book during its year had no effect.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Eh, those movies lost for reasons other than backlash. Everyone trying to take down Green Book during its year had no effect.

Still, six GG+BAFTA best picture winner ends up losing at the Oscar in the past 10 years is very much a statistically proven. It may be too much coincidence to conclude all of those six loses are for different reasons. In the case of 1917 and la la land, both movies even got GG+BAFtA + PGA. 

• Like 1

Beautiful speech from Lily Gladstone. Great winners, all around!

The increased size and diversity of the new Golden Globes journalists organization this year is clearly demonstrated in both the nominees and winners. They don't feel like the usual Golden Globes at all - pretty cool!

It remains to be seen what this means for the awards season moving forward, as the Globes are still a non-industry awards body - and we've seen before how things can look like they're moving in one direction and then they go in another.

That said, I've believed since the summer when Oppenheimer dominated both critically and commercially, with an acclaimed director that is overdue, that Oppenheimer would dominate this awards season. I expect it to win Best Picture and Director at the Oscars, too, and a slew of other awards.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

Overall this was a really blah ceremony. Pretty good winners but a weak host and too many of the presenter introductions went on for eternity (did drawn out banter = a higher salary coming off a months-long writer's strike?). Honestly, it's becoming increasingly hard to justify having a host for these awards shows anymore: they're thankless gigs in which too many people have actually been reported as saying "no" to the jobs and the rewards for those who do aren't great. Just a basic ceremony in which the awards are handed out + speeches for the winner without any of the padding that clearly doesn't move the viewership needle is the way to go at this point.

19 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Still, six GG+BAFTA best picture winner ends up losing at the Oscar in the past 10 years is very much a statistically proven. It may be too much coincidence to conclude all of those six loses are for different reasons. In the case of 1917 and la la land, both movies even got GG+BAFtA + PGA. 

Impact of Oppenheimer is tremendous. I dont think its comparable to any of the previous snubs. Its also so topical with what is going around. That makes it hard to snub. 

• Like 2