filmlover

The 81st Annual Golden Globes live feed thread

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

It's legit, that double double is special

I'd get a 4 by 4 animal style.

I think the in n out secret is the burgers are good and the prices are comparatively low but I've never been there yet.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Is the hype for it legit? Or is it just Californians trying to act like they're special?

Ive had better tasting burgers (not for the same price though) but getting a double double + animal fries is always a perfect meal for me.

14 hours ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Ratings went up quite a bit! 

Golden Globes Ratings Up 50% With 9.4 Million Viewers on CBS

Always find the Reddit-style doomposting about awards shows silly, sure the ratings will never reach their heyday, but that applies to nothing on TV sans football. I had a good time watching the Globes last night and I'm glad the ratings improved. Same for last year's Oscars.

The power of movies that people actually watched (Barbenheimer first of all but presence of current streaming superhit Saltburn's stars added a few younger ones too) and music stars (Taylor, Billie), but most of all the movie and director so many root for actually winning. Nolan fans turned up for NOlan and got rewarded. I bet ratigns kept going up the more awards Oppenheimer won cause it indicated that it was going to happen this time. And it did. His speech made so many tear up.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Important to note that the Globes aired immediately after a football doubleheader. And these days, the NFL is the most important, most vital lead-in for network television. Take that out, and you'd probably lose a solid amount of viewers from the equation. Still impressive though and a good rebound either way.

Good point about football lead-in but I don't think retention would be nearly that good if Barbenheimer wasn't nominated and yet another unwatched movie and director won. This time, it was superstar Nolan for his almost 1B hit. And RDJ's early win certainly didn't hurt.

The host was literal who and his jokes were so bad he even said that during the overlong opening. THat's enough to deter anyone but enough people stick around cause they wanted. I may be projecting but I do think that popular movies and household name director so many are invested in did the trick. Your move, Oscars.

They also aired on a Sunday instead of a Tuesday like last year, so that also made a difference in the increase. But yeah, the Globes should have no problem continuing on since there's clearly a devoted audience for them even with a network change.

2 hours ago, Eric Owns Mickey Mouse said:

Important to note that the Globes aired immediately after a football doubleheader. And these days, the NFL is the most important, most vital lead-in for network television. Take that out, and you'd probably lose a solid amount of viewers from the equation. Still impressive though and a good rebound either way.

I can only speak for myself here. I did not leave the TV on CBS or FOX when those afternoon games were over. I switched to NBC in order to watch the Buffalo & Miami football game. I would imagine a ton of NFL fans did the same thing, meaning I am not sure how much of a boost the afternoon game on CBS provided to the Golden Globes.

I assume most of the ratings boost is from the extra viewers who wanted to see the result for Taylor Swift & Barbie nominations. 

On 1/9/2024 at 7:18 AM, Valonqar said:

The power of movies that people actually watched (Barbenheimer first of all but presence of current streaming superhit Saltburn's stars added a few younger ones too) and music stars (Taylor, Billie), but most of all the movie and director so many root for actually winning. Nolan fans turned up for NOlan and got rewarded. I bet ratigns kept going up the more awards Oppenheimer won cause it indicated that it was going to happen this time. And it did. His speech made so many tear up.

You are right lol this is my first year following the entire awards season because of Nolan. I was one of those that teared up at his speech because I was a fan of Heath Ledger. It was because of him that I watched TDK and became a fan of Nolan. It meant a lot to me.