filmlover

The 81st Annual Golden Globes live feed thread

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

So Nolan, Cillian and Downey should win Oscars as well. Oppenheimer impact is too big across the board at this point to not win it all including Best Picture. Plus Ludwig and Hoyte should also win. Another year for Giamatti or Cooper. 

Emma Stone is also sure to win Best Actress. 

Idk about that last bit, but it has felt like Opp’s to take at the Oscars since it came out to me. Only recently have I been considering a Barbie upset, and funny enough I think it’s the only one that can now. It can have some pull with the Academy that the Globes largely don’t concern themselves with (in terms of trying to make a social commentary statement). But if not, Opp is getting the big ones. 

• Like 1

I would be happy to have Barbie win the Best Picture for sure. it is a brilliant movie though I am not sure the genre can break through. Let us see how things go. 

BTW Downey's speech was brilliant. Easily among the most charismatic actors around. I hope Nolan casts him again as a lead in his next movie. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Impact of Oppenheimer is tremendous. I dont think its comparable to any of the previous snubs. Its also so topical with what is going around. That makes it hard to snub. 

The only different I can think of is Oppenheimer is a summer movie, unlike all others which were a fall or winter release. If there is any backlash against Oppenheimer, they would have surface long ago. The box office can’t make up a case for Oppenheimer here because neither Oscar go for big box office hit. 

I mean, if GG got to have two best picture winners and they still miss six out of 10 times as compared to Oscar, that isn’t really ideal statistic though. That being said, the new voting members probably means the track has to be restarted. 

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Apple was definitely expecting more than one award for Killers of the Flower Moon, I'm sure.

The lack of the movie igniting at the BO compared to how Opp took off huge really killed any awards race between them 

Edited by MovieMan89

The actual ceremony was pretty messy (and not in a fun way) but there were a lot of great winners, nominees, speeches, and red carpet looks. The host was bad, the GG basically begged Gervais to come back. Don’t know why they were facing away from the audience, but a few of the presenters’ jokes were funny (the strip mall/club joke and the teleprompter written without writers due to the strikes were the best).

I was surprised by Barbie only getting best original song and the silly box office award. Also surprised that TSwift didn’t win since she usually only shows up when they’ve told her she’s going to win beforehand.

Boy and the Heron seems like a lock over Spiderverse, and Best actress award at the Oscars is going to be a very close race.

21 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I was surprised by Barbie only getting best original song and the silly box office award. Also surprised that TSwift didn’t win since she usually only shows up when they’ve told her she’s going to win beforehand.

These awards always keep the winners under wraps completely until the ceremony (I think Critics Choice had someone leak the winners online one year lol), and the nominees are expected show up to support their own work and that of others (unless they can't make it). The Oscars are especially strict in that regard. Otherwise infamous gaffes like the Best Picture snafu and Best Actor being the final award of the night with the expectation Boseman was going to win would've been avoided.

Jo Koy was a pretty terrible host - no offence to him as a comedian when he's in his own element. The jokes were lacklustre, at best, and super cringe at worst - and not delivered in a confident or incisive manner.

It is possible to be a good host. When Tina Fey & Amy Poehler hosted from 2013-2015, these were the best hosted awards shows I've ever seen. I'll legitimately go back and watch the opening monologues from those years - sharp, well executed, topical jokes that hit their targets but were delivered in a way that felt good natured and fun.

Peace,

Mike

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

As much as I am rooting for Oppenheimer, I was sort of hoping the movie losing at GG because GG has too much track record of attracting backlash. La la land, three billboard, 1917 and the power of dog, no matter how strong the way they looked as frontrunner, the backlash cost them Oscar eventually. 

How about Social Network? I seem to remember that movie swept all kinds of awards but then got snubbed pretty hard at the Oscars. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I do think if there were a Barbie upset at Oscars, it’s getting both BD and BP. I don’t see those being split this year. Either all in on Barb or all in on Heimer imo 

It's unlikely Nolan does not win Best Director. He's been winning literally every where.

7 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't call Joker the wrong movie. It's an iconic performance. The Revenant however is the poster child for makeup/wrong. Leo should have won for WOWS.

I would have given it to Leo for The Aviator or The Departed. Wall Street performance was great too, but seemed like he should have gotten it much earlier. 

I think the poster child for this deal is Al Pacino with Scent of a Woman. Knowing how incredible his performances were in the first two Godfather movies, it's unbelievable to think of him winning an Oscar for anything in the 1990's. 

5 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

How about Social Network? I seem to remember that movie swept all kinds of awards but then got snubbed pretty hard at the Oscars. 

Social network won big at the critics circuit but show some weakness in the big award event. PGA and BAFTA favour the king speech that year, so it is not longer that big of a surprise that it was losing best picture. 

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Social network won big at the critics circuit but show some weakness in the big award event. PGA and BAFTA favour the king speech that year, so it is not longer that big of a surprise that it was losing best picture. 

Just looked it up. Social Network won pretty big at the Golden Globes: Best Drama film, Best Director, Best Writing, Best Score. Seems like a pretty good example of how the Golden Globes don't really mean much on the road to the Oscars.