Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

Looks like Poor Things had a good hold as well, nice to see the adult audience showing up again.

No M3gan this week does mean we're not off to a good start compared to the last year, but hopefully the three higher-profile releases next week get us caught up.

5 minutes ago, dallas said:

It's hilarious that Aquaman, the movie Warner Bros left to die is now set to become the highest grossing DCEU movie of the past 5 years. If WB put actual effort into this movie's marketing, it may have actually gotten close to breaking even. 

Even if they did market it properly, everyone in our always-on social media age would still be aware of the impending reboot, and the movie being a boring slog lacking the charm of the original would've been a handicap.

1 hour ago, Grand Cine said:

I hope the Golden Globes tonight will be good for the movie because the box office is not

Could this actually pass Friday the 13th 2009 as the worst opening day multiplier?

49 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

If WB marketed Aquaman like they marketed the Flash it could've made them some money.

There would be a trade off though as well.  I think when it's all said and done Aquaman 2 will actually make them some money.  

17 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Even if they did market it properly, everyone in our always-on social media age would still be aware of the impending reboot, and the movie being a boring slog lacking the charm of the original would've been a handicap.

I mean, is that not how it already was? I don't see how more marketing would hurt at this stage. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

We're doing this again?  I thought people were getting thread banned for this brand of trolling?

Right? And it's not like WB is "lucky" that December and January are saving Aquabro. They decided on that release date for a reason. The insistence on holiday legs saving this movie is annoying, because yes, that's literally the point of releasing your tentpole during the holidays lmao

• Like 4

As someone who had zero interest in the movie, Aquaman was promoted about as much as superhero tentpoles usually were. If it's really not that great a movie, not sure what marketing really could've done better to make it sell more tickets. 

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, dallas said:

I mean, is that not how it already was? I don't see how more marketing would hurt at this stage. 

The studios would spend more money on marketing. So, the movie will need to make more money to cover the cost.

The theaters would be happy about Aquaman 2 getting a bigger box office, but studios wouldn't care if it doesn't make a bigger profit for them.

Edited by Kon

Just now, John Marston said:

should have at least attached the Aquaman 2 trailer with Barbie

I agree. Deciding to do so with Blue Beetle is one of the few reasons that movie did as well as it did. 

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

There would be a trade off though as well.  I think when it's all said and done Aquaman 2 will actually make them some money.  

Good point. I think a bigger marketing push would have helped this movie, but I don't know if in the end it would've helped the movie make more. That being said, I do believe they pushed the movie well overseas which is why it's doing so well there. 

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Now even Danielle Brooks is like, "We didn't have dressing rooms until Oprah intervened!" Sounds like a messy production, doesn't make fence sitters (if there still are any) inclined to support it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/taraji-p-henson-and-danielle-brooks-deride-the-color-purple-set-conditions

Yeah, backstage drama on this movie seems so much more entertaining than the movie itself (given the awkward mesh of the heavy subject matter and musical). 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

should have at least attached the Aquaman 2 trailer with Barbie

Agreed, a movie about Momoa abs should have been attached to the movie about Gosling abs. :sparta:

Just want to point out that we have 15(!) movies over 1M this weekend. Compared to last year this week, when we only had 8. 15th place was making 142k. 2022 this weekend had 8 movies over 1M, with 15th place making 190k.

Compare that to this weekend in 2020 (before Covid obviously) had 14 movies over a million, and 2019 had 17.

If for nothing else, this holiday has shown that depth has returned to the box office. We’ve seen that the market can sustain massive grosses (Spider-Man, Top Gun, Barbie, Avatar), and now we’ve seen it can support depth of the product exists. I would say that this is a good weekend for people like us who track this stuff. Shows signs of a healthy market.

• Like 16
  • Heart 1

As much as holiday boost BO, but I tend to attribute the great legs for new releases around Christmas to demand shift. I mean, there is no reason I would expect aquaman 2 to open below Shazam 2 and BB in a non-holiday season. Aquaman would probably open to 45m and finish around 110m+, not that too far below from what we are looking now at 125m with holiday season. The holiday merely shifted the demand, plus some boost for sure but people tend to overstate those bump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torontofan said:

Yeah x mas really saved the movie and a dead Jan

And the fact that Aquaman 2 is one of the best supers movies in a very bad supers year...

Spiderverse was better...

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was better...

AND nothing else was...

So, if it ends as the 3rd highest supers movie WW for 2023 (very tough with Ant Man 3, but not impossible at this point)...it would be exactly where its quality would warrant where it is...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I don’t think so Probably Gonna lose some theaters and it’s competing for similar audience with Mean Girls. 

ABY had the third best PTA of all the wide releases this weekend, so I'll be surprised if it loses more than a couple hundred theaters next weekend, if even.