Grand Cine

WEEKEND THREAD | Wonka 14.4, Night Swim 12, Aqua 10.6, Migration 10.2, Anyone But You 9.5 (increased from last weekend!)

8 minutes ago, dallas said:

Isn't it the 2nd biggest CBM post-pandemic?

People who follow China's box office would know better but looking at its current number, that sounds about right.

Aquaman 2 WOM is better than expected given good holds. It's still a bomb but not an embarrassing one like The Marvels and The Flash. The collapse didn't happen and OS is carrying it nicely, 

TCP WOM clearly isn't all that great even among the demo. Another proof that CS isn't be all and end all. It flopped with BOSAS (B+, great legs), Aquaman 2 (B, better legs than ratings suggested) and this (A, terrible legs). 

53 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Sunday in America was tragic. Is football hurting everything because of how close we are to the Superbowl?

Kind of, it was the last week of the season, so a good number of playoff spots up for grabs. Also the day before return to normal M-F grind for a lot of people 

But more generally, the market is filled with a lot of female-skewing films, or least those without a strong male pull. If the choice for the GA is (basically) a mediocre Aquaman or an “important” NFL Sunday, a lot of fence sitters may stay home 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

NEON is getting bought? By who?

Watch it be A24, because capitalism is terrible. Like how Blumbouse bought James Wan’s production company for no reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Aquaman 2 WOM is better than expected given good holds. It's still a bomb but not an embarrassing one like The Marvels and The Flash. The collapse didn't happen and OS is carrying it nicely, 

TCP WOM clearly isn't all that great even among the demo. Another proof that CS isn't be all and end all. It flopped with BOSAS (B+, great legs), Aquaman 2 (B, better legs than ratings suggested) and this (A, terrible legs). 

"Bomb" is too strong if it finishes 450m+, flop at most.

56 minutes ago, M37 said:

Kind of, it was the last week of the season, so a good number of playoff spots up for grabs. Also the day before return to normal M-F grind for a lot of people 

But more generally, the market is filled with a lot of female-skewing films, or least those without a strong male pull. If the choice for the GA is (basically) a mediocre Aquaman or an “important” NFL Sunday, a lot of fence sitters may stay home 

The weather being terrible in a huge portion of the country did not help either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am curious what the demo split for Aquabro is looking like. Feel like females are carrying it (despite straight up rejecting The Marvels) 

Aquaman 2’s estimated audience demographics included:

42% white, 27% Hispanic, 19% black, 8% Asian
48% from premium formats
Gave the film a “B” CinemaScore, lower than the original Aquaman’s “A-”

The film’s opening weekend audience was:

55% male
21% under 18, 42% under 25, 60% under 35

https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-aquaman-wonka-migration/

It seems Aquaman 2 has a bigger male audience (at least for OW). Still, the female audience may be minor, but they are still considerable.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

I just found the demographics for The Boys in the Boat:

The Boys in the Boat gets an A CinemaScore with an 86% positive on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. 54% Female, 46% Male showed up with 29% of the audience between 18-34 years old. Those over 35 were 66% with 38% of the audience over 55+. Diversity demos were 70% Caucasian, 9% Hispanic and Latino, 7% Black, 6% Asian, 7% NatAm/Other.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-migration-color-purple-1235680766/

Edited by Kon

34 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I've just watched The Beekeeper flick with Statham. I don't think there's a topic for it here, but I predict a good CinemaScore. Movie is very good, imo. 

It's what I'm seeing this weekend. It's probably not going to light the box office on fire, but it does look like a fun movie.

4 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

"Bomb" is too strong if it finishes 450m+, flop at most.

IIRC, didn't we get an article saying that WB pretty much cheaped out on the marketing only spending 100M as opposed to the 200M these tentpoles cost? Might end up slightly in the black once all is said and done. 

I mean, let's be honest. Aquaman 2 is doing better than expected, but it's by no means a success. While I don't think it would have been a Flash-sized bomb, even if it released the same day as The Flash, the US is still a country where everything kinda shuts down until mid-January. There aren't really any other outlets for entertainment this time of year. No new video games released. No new TV shows. Movies are the only real new thing to experience this time of year still.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

I feel like Aquaman will be closer to its break-even point than people expect, but it still may end up losing a bit of money. Not a success by any means, but probably something WB is happy with, all things considered. 

Here Aquaman still has all the showtimes available as if it were its first 4 days in theaters, and people acting shocked that it hasn't bombed massively. Even people who have still been on vacation and go to the movies it's not like they have much of a choice, I doubt this is only in my country.

Edited by Lighthouse

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Here Aquaman still has all the showtimes available as if it were its first 4 days in theaters, and people acting shocked that it hasn't bombed massively. Even people who have still been on vacation and go to the movies it's not like they have much of a choice, I doubt this is only in my country.

Yeah, I suspect the biggest factor in its relative success is simply the utter lack of competition. If you are looking for a kid/family friendly film that isn’t a musical or a cartoon, Aquaman is pretty much it. If Rogue Squadron had happened or Ghostbusters hadn’t moved thing might look a lot different.

• Like 1