filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can’t believe I said they wouldn’t dare nominate Gosling while snubbing both Gerwig and Robbie months ago given the ENTIRE POINT of the movie, and here we are…. 

They should have left it out of BP too, it’s obviously just there bc they felt obligated, not bc they actually got it. 

It’s not that deep, supp actors this year is kinda weak while lead actors are stacked. So both supps from Barbie get in but Margot didn’t and likely wasn’t even the next in line if Bening didn’t get it (Greta Lee was probably stronger). Margot was beated by 5 actresses, not male actors, she and Gosling wasn’t in direct competition for him to be the winner and proof the point of the movie (that isn’t this reductive tbh).

Same for director, highly competitive and Payne would probably get in if it wasn’t for Triet, thankfully Triet won. Hard to argue against Nolan / Scorsese + the Cannes / Venice winners combo with 3 highly respected movies both in US and foreign.

This is the first year that fully feels like a normal award season since COVID, there’s an absurd amount of great buzzy movies.

The media is definitely being very performative in this snub narrative because the academy somewhat rejected the blockbuster toy movie in just a few categories. The exact same happened with equally or more succesful and acclaimed movies like Maverick, Avatar 2, Dune, Black Panther. There wasn’t a really strong narrative to justify Barbie being treated differently in too competitive categories, getting 8 nominations including BP is already very impressive, most of these movies get 0.

• Like 6

Re: Blunt vs Ferrera. Many fans felt Blunt should have been nominated by now. No one felt that way about Ferrera whose career highlight was Ugly Betty (she won Comedy Emmy I think) yet the world still watches the Columbian original not her version. So not much of a cultural impact. As someone already said, Blunt fans take what they can get. Also, Blunt nom wasn't followed by Murphy snub which is the main point of Ferrera outrage. Without that, her nom would be shrugged off as coattail as usual (which is what Blunt is too). But to be fair, she didn't compete against Robbie but her category mates so it isn't like she kicked out Robbie. It's just very unusual that a cast member who was tanking with critics and precursors makes the cut while the one that was succeeding and was the anchor of the movie didn't. usually the weak one coattails the strong one so both make it. 

Re: Gosling in Robbie out. Gosling was in easier category to get in (same Ferrera) and he was never going to miss. The vunerable one have always been Ruffalo and DaFoe cause of possible vote split and we saw quite a rollercoaster with those 2 (1 gets in, the other gets in, both get in, neither gets in, 1 gets in after all). Robbie was in tougher category and she wasn't the frontrunner or challenger. So like Amy Adams in Arrival, she hit all precursors but was kicked out by a passion pick (Bening or Huller since Stone, Gladstone and Mulligan were locked).  But most importantly, as explained in Ferrera case, voters vote by category. So Gosling vs his category mates not Gosling vs Robbie hence why "how dare they nominate Ken and snub Barbie" doesn't work cause they ranked actors by categiory and he and Ferrera ranked in Top 5 in theirs while Robbie didn't in hers. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wait, how am I just now finding out Domingo is gay??? Ok, that’s a pretty big deal to get a black gay leading acting nom.  Glad it sounds like he’s actually good in it too.

I would’ve preferred Scott (also gay, but white) but Domingo is great too (even if Rustin was just fine). At least it wasn’t a boring, average choice like Leo.

General thoughts:

Oppenheimer has it locked up, and I'm still going Cillian>Paul in Actor

The Director lineup is the best we've had in a long time. All excellent films and inspired choices

No KOTFM in screenplay is a choice

Score is a crock of shit. Joe Hisaishi was robbed

The Nyad double nominations are hardly surpising imo. It's a basic movie with two strong performances from Academy favorites

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eric George said:

Somebody on Twitter a few months ago brought up an interesting point that the typical midbudget prestige Oscar bait stuff that typically dominated the categories starting with the Weinsteins has lost a lot of prominence post-COVID. Part of it because they are typically bought up by streaming services, another part because these kinds of movies are now 6-part limited series on Peacock. The Imitation Game would have for sure been a Hulu miniseries if it was greenlit today.

This basically means, apart from a Maestro or CODA here and there, the Best Picture noms are now typically either the biggest movies of the year, or weird and idiosyncratic fare from A24 and Neon. Like it's still surreal a movie like Drive My Car even got nominated.

I've noticed this for a while. The Social Network was probably my favorite movie of the entire 2010s, but I'm positive that if it were made today, it would be a limited series like The Dropout.

Robbie being snubbed was a surprise. Did not expect that, especially America Ferrera's nomination. I love Emily Blunt, but there were many better performances deserving of that nomination. 

Obviously annoyed with the Margot and Greta snubs. Very unfortunate. 

Happy for the other Barbie noms, Billie Eilish, America, Annette Bening and Jodie Foster. Pleased for Poor Things as well and The Holdovers. 

I hope Oppenheimer doesn’t win everything. That would be… dull. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Re: Blunt vs Ferrera. Many fans felt Blunt should have been nominated by now. No one felt that way about Ferrera whose career highlight was Ugly Betty (she won Comedy Emmy I think) yet the world still watches the Columbian original not her version. So not much of a cultural impact. As someone already said, Blunt fans take what they can get. Also, Blunt nom wasn't followed by Murphy snub which is the main point of Ferrera outrage. Without that, her nom would be shrugged off as coattail as usual (which is what Blunt is too). But to be fair, she didn't compete against Robbie but her category mates so it isn't like she kicked out Robbie. It's just very unusual that a cast member who was tanking with critics and precursors makes the cut while the one that was succeeding and was the anchor of the movie didn't. usually the weak one coattails the strong one so both make it. 

Say what?? There’s another version of Ugly Betty? 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Knock It Off 1

Yeah definitely not buying the narrative that it was just happenstance of competitive fields regarding the Gerwig and Robbie snubs. You could make that argument for literally anything in a competitive year getting snubbed, yet we sure didn’t see things like no Nolan or even no Marty (who would have actually made some sense as a big snub given KotFMs collapse in momentum). Barbie was easily the second best positioned movie through the majority of the awards season, with only Poor Things surging ahead of it by the end for runner up.

There wasn’t any excuse for the snubs, especially not Gerwig and especially when we got Bening in actress. That just proves how little support in the major cats Barbie actually had to begin with. Which is pretty ridiculous considering what it achieved in acclaim, success, and the overall zeitgeist. Opp is in a similar situation, but they wouldn’t dare treat it that way with such major snubs because it pretty much checks all their boxes (unlike a TDK for example). 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Point is, nobody is gonna vote like this: Oh gee I don't think Robbie is Top 5 in Actress so I can't put Gosling in Top 5 in Supporting Actor cause bad optics and Ferrera in top 5 in Supporting Actress cause it makes no sense without Robbie. They vote by category. If they liked Bening more they liked her more. Or maybe Bening has more friends. Or whatever. There's nothing to read into. 

Nominees always stump for their snubbed team mates especially if snubs are huge. It's nothing new. Heck, I remember quite a few industry people lampooning Villeneuve snub as "so Dune directed itself?" Director snubs are always big topic.

• Like 3

Can we just move on to the more important question: who will they get to perform the "I'm Just Ken" number (since Gosling is unlikely to do it, he didn't perform "City of Stars" that year)?

"Dance the Night" would've been the perfect ceremony opener ala "Can't Stop the Feeling" but it isn't nominated so:

Banshees Of Inisherin Barry Keoghan GIF - Banshees of inisherin Barry  keoghan Dominic banshees dream - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by filmlover

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Point is, nobody is gonna vote like this: Oh gee I don't think Robbie is Top 5 in Actress so I can't put Gosling in Top 5 in Supporting Actor cause bad optics and Ferrera in top 5 in Supporting Actress cause it makes no sense without Robbie. They vote by category. If they liked Bening more they liked her more. Or maybe Bening has more friends. Or whatever. There's nothing to read into. 

Nominees always stump for their snubbed team mates especially if snubs are huge. It's nothing new. Heck, I remember quite a few industry people lampooning Villeneuve snub as "so Dune directed itself?" Director snubs are always big topic.

Point is these snubs would never ever happen to a movie with as much momentum and success as Barbie if it were a baity white male dominated movie instead (aka Oppenheimer). Thats what the internet and the Barbie cast are mad about 

The only major snubs really worth mentioning are the May December ones (multitude of others ones that got snubbed but this one feels extra bad because it seemed to be doing well at the start of the season).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The nom discourse here has definitely run its course, I get the appeal of immediately wanting to move onto next year's punditry

We still gotta get through the winners for this year first!

Also, all the news over the next few weeks over the presenters and performers for the ceremony (which hopefully won't be a disaster). Obviously the four acting winners will return, but I remember last year when Glenn Close had to back out due to COVID it was revealed she was going to present Picture along with Ford. Seems safe to assume she'll be the one presenting this year to make up.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Point is these snubs would never ever happen to a movie with as much momentum and success as Barbie if it were a baity white male dominated movie instead (aka Oppenheimer). Thats what the internet and the Barbie cast are mad about 

Apples and oranges. Barbie is a comedy and sadly comedies always struggle to be taken seriously. They nominated a woman director for a drama. So that says it all. 

Also, frontrunners rarely miss. Barbie was no a frontrunner in any category but Song. Also because it's a comedy.

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only thing I have to say about the Barbie thing is that Robbie did give the best performance in the movie (seeing a lot of people say Gosling was better and although he was funnier, I think Robbie was better)

Robbie was fantastic in a difficult role. The snub is awful but I'll repeat it again if you ain't in it to win it you are not safe. That was Gerwig problem too. She didn't miss in Script despite category change cause the script was competitive to win not a frontrunner but one of 3 posisbilities in Original.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only major snubs really worth mentioning are the May December ones (multitude of others ones that got snubbed but this one feels extra bad because it seemed to be doing well at the start of the season).

They snubbed the greatest superhero movie of all time too, can't forget