LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (01/19-01/21)

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Most hated/dreaded/feared words in Buffalo, bar none.

NB: 

Context:  Where "Wide Right" all started back in 1991 (and, for that matter might have inspired part of Ace Ventura in the first place).

Baltimore and Detroit all the way. Cant root for the 49ers as I have said and they have been there 7 times and won 5. Its Detroit's time to shine. And I am sick of the Chiefs. 

since ava duverany is somewhat relevant again, I feel like asking

is 100 million domestic really such a terrible gross for a movie like that?

sure it for some reason had a 130 million budget, but even with great reviews I cant imagine it getting to 200 million dom, maybe 150 million and since the book has no real international presence it could have maybe done 100 million max

On to Searchlight Pictures’ Poor Things in week seven (seven!) on 1,400 screens for a $2 million weekend and a $20.3 million cume. The Yorgos Lanthimos-directed, Emma Stone-starring awards magnet expands to top 1,800 theaters next week. By midweek, Searchlight predicted, will be the third-highest limited release opening post-Covid following Everything, Everywhere All At Once ($77.2M) and Priscilla ($20.9M).

Fun fact: On Friday, Poor Things grossed $16.9k at the AMC Lincoln Square alone.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

On to Searchlight Pictures’ Poor Things in week seven (seven!) on 1,400 screens for a $2 million weekend and a $20.3 million cume. The Yorgos Lanthimos-directed, Emma Stone-starring awards magnet expands to top 1,800 theaters next week. By midweek, Searchlight predicted, will be the third-highest limited release opening post-Covid following Everything, Everywhere All At Once ($77.2M) and Priscilla ($20.9M).

Fun fact: On Friday, Poor Things grossed $16.9k at the AMC Lincoln Square alone.

I thought asteroid city should be at number2? AC did have one weeks of limited release. 

10 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

since ava duverany is somewhat relevant again, I feel like asking

is 100 million domestic really such a terrible gross for a movie like that?

sure it for some reason had a 130 million budget, but even with great reviews I cant imagine it getting to 200 million dom, maybe 150 million and since the book has no real international presence it could have maybe done 100 million max

Yes because it was based on the popular book with big built-in fandom in US and it had big names (Reece, Oprah, Pine). It was unreasonably budgeted (lack of) quality aside. Even if it was good it depended on one market only and it's very hard to blow up so much to offset disinterest elsewhere.

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I thought asteroid city should be at number2? AC did have one weeks of limited release. 

That's right, it started out in 6 theaters and one of them had $50 tickets, it included some sort of "experience" along with the movie. Someone tell Deadline!

22 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I have seen so many posts comparing it to Color Purple that just don't make any sense. Is Color Purple going to be considered the new ceiling for any film starring black people? Or is it possible a breezy biopic with some of the most famous songs in modern history might be a more palatable watch than a brutal, long musical? Also, white people fucking love Bob Marley! Hasn't anyone here ever been in a college dorm room? You can't go to a party with a pothead over 35 without the soundtrack being mostly reggae. Maybe it doesn't do as well as I think, but some of the comments on this board about it being comparable to Color Purple or frankly even the Whitney movie are a reminder this board isn't exactly reflective of larger American demographics and culture. Marley's an icon beyond icons.

I think the better comp is Rocketman, given the time frame of initial popularity, and a well-known music figure but actual fandom at peak smaller than the likes of Queen or Elvis (and probably even Elton John tbh)

I'm taking the under for a few reasons, but not like Respect level (which came out a very bad time w/ ongoing pandemic in 2021).  Something like $50M domestic seems fair, but won't be shocked if that's off a fair amount in either direction

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:58 AM, John Marston said:

can ABY still pass The Marvels?  Snow storms and Mean Girls looks like it slowed it down a bit

It is gonna be hard. The movie obviously passed its peak.  The past 2 weeks it has been holding better than Wonka, Migration and Boy on the boat but this week they start to have similar decrease.

Updated weekend estimates from Box Office Report:

Wonka: $6.72M (-20.7%)

Migration: $5.46M (-12.4%)

I think Migration may edge out ABY for 4th place. Very good holds for the family films.

Edited by MovieMagic

2 hours ago, Kon said:

Has there ever been a movie that hit streaming that you had to pay extra to see?

Good to see Disney staying with the 90 day window before putting it on streaming even if it was a bomb

• Like 1

Migration’s holds have ended up good despite such low numbers. Easily eclipsing Ferdinand in the legs department. Go for 9x, though it could make a run for 10x if it keeps holding like this weekend. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Migration’s holds have ended up good despite such low numbers. Easily eclipsing Ferdinand in the legs department. Go for 9x maybe? 

Sounds about right. Target should be Hop's $108 million to avoid being Illumination's lowest grossing film domestically. 

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 1