LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (01/19-01/21)

All of the non-MLK holdovers are taking major advantage of the lack of competition. Great holds for Wonka and Migration, even Aquaman will have a good drop. Also nice to see the Oscar players holding well; hopefully MGM has another big expansion planned for American Fiction, as WOM is strong (97% verified on RT!), and it's looking good for Picture, Actor, and Screenplay noms on Tuesday (maybe even Supporting Actor), and it could reach the rarified $20M total for post-CoVID platform releases.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Kon said:

Not bad, not great. Needs those big Oscar noms on Tuesday (which I’m sure it’ll get) to take advantage of this timed expansion. It’s in a decent spot though. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

Yeah it's odd that Searchlight went ahead with the 1,400+ theater expansion now for Poor Things instead of right after the nominations like they did for Shape of Water or The Favourite, but I guess they figured that there was almost nothing opening this weekend or next weekend so the odds of them losing those theaters between the two weeks was low (my local AMCs still don't even have showtimes for Miller's Girl).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonathanMB said:

Yeah it's odd that Searchlight went ahead with the 1,400+ theater expansion now for Poor Things instead of right after the nominations like they did for Shape of Water or The Favourite, but I guess they figured that there was almost nothing opening this weekend or next weekend so the odds of them losing those theaters between the two weeks was low (my local AMCs still don't even have showtimes for Miller's Girl).

yeah and then next weekend they can report increase from this weekend.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

https://the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2024/01/19

Number trickling in.

Terrible for Beekeeper. Migration and BITB held very well.

Snow day for a lot of kids on the east coast...Saturday jumps for both will probably be much lower today...

Edit to Add: of course, I say that after forgetting last Friday was the blizzard and cold from he$$ for the middle of the country, so maybe the jumps won't be bad today...although it's colder than he$$ on the east coast today...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Some nice holds for the December films. 

Iron Claw over $30m. Wish Poor Things expanded better. All Of Us Strangers held, but still isn’t catching on and I think it’ll be overlooked on Tuesday, but we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, LegendaryBen said:

https://the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/daily/2024/01/19

Number trickling in.

Terrible for Beekeeper. Migration and BITB held very well.

I would not say terrible for the Beekeeper.  Last weekend was propped up by being a holiday weekend and In the end it's still a Jason Statham star vehicle. Even with good WOM the audience that would see it in a theater burns out quickly.  This movie will explode streaming on Amazon I bet. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

I.S.S. got a C- CinemaScore. Oh well.

Some pretty strong holds to make up for the weather in some parts of the country from last weekend though Mean Girls (assuming frontloading + annoyance at the bait-and-switch marketing of it being a musical is responsible for the massive decline) and Beekeeper are looking at big drops. Next weekend should be another good weekend for holds with nothing of note (that isn't an expanding Oscar contender) opening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I.S.S. got a C- CinemaScore. Oh well.

Some pretty strong holds to make up for the weather in some parts of the country from last weekend though Mean Girls (assuming frontloading + annoyance at the bait-and-switch marketing of it being a musical is responsible for the massive decline) and Beekeeper are looking at big drops. Next weekend should be another good weekend for holds with nothing of note (that isn't an expanding Oscar contender) opening.

If Argyle , fingers crossed, ends up being good it could still do  decently on the Feb 2 weekend with no football to distract and a empty marketplace for new movies.