LegendaryBen

Weekend Thread - (01/19-01/21)

3 hours ago, Jerri Blank-Diggler said:

Deadline Weekend Box Office (as of Sat) -- 1 Mean Girls $11 M (-62%); 2 Beekeeper $8.3 M (-50%); 3 Wonka $6.75 (-20%); 4 Anyone But You $5.4 M (-24%); 5 Migration $5.3 M (-15%); 6 Aquaman $3.75 M (-29%); 7 ISS $3.3 M

Per Deadline:

ISS -- *PostTrack a low 49% positive and 27% definite recommend* to go with C- Cinemascore

Total Weekend Box Office $68M; "-8% from same frame" in 2022

https://deadline.com/2024/01/box-office-mean-girls-weak-winter-weekend-1235799017/

I hope Aquaman 2 hold holds. It didn't crash contrary to pre-release expectations but saved a bit of face both dom and OS. Momoa walkups. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

I hope Aquaman 2 hold holds. It didn't crash contrary to pre-release expectations but saved a bit of face both dom and OS. Momoa walkups. 

At this point I think all of the Xmas holdovers are holding well by sheer default though, given such low grosses for all and literally zero new comp. Except TCP that is #welp 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

At this point I think all of the Xmas holdovers are holding well by sheer default though, given such low grosses for all and literally zero new comp. Except TCP that is #welp 

The fall of The Color Purple is still surprising.

Anyone But You DOM box office has already surpassed The Color Purple DOM (I think it happened on Thursday). I don't think anyone expected that on Christmas Day.

Edited by Kon

Also, am I the only one who finds it weird that Aquaman is having such good holds even outside of the holiday corridor? You'd think with the B Cinemascore that it'd crash immediately, but in reality it's holding quite well. 

27 minutes ago, dallas said:

Also, am I the only one who finds it weird that Aquaman is having such good holds even outside of the holiday corridor? You'd think with the B Cinemascore that it'd crash immediately, but in reality it's holding quite well. 

It's not like there is much competition. Every December movie has been holding well except for TCP.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dallas said:

Again, what else is there and it’s not pulling big numbers by any stretch. Probably not anywhere else on the release cal in 2023 or 2024  it could have possible gone to be more beneficial to it 

• Like 1

OFF TOPIC

NEVER

IN

DOUBT

*faints after throwing up*

/OFF TOPIC

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

My mind is still blown since finding out here certain chains are interrupting trailers to show more ads. I would really just skip trailers at that point and show up very late 

Yes, this annoys me - I always walk out to go to the bathroom even if I don't need to go to the bathroom b/c I refuse to watch mid-trailer ads (before they start trailers is bad, but I accept that...but in the midst of trailers...no!)...

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

OFF TOPIC

NEVER

IN

DOUBT

*faints after throwing up*

/OFF TOPIC

Won't lie. A little bummed right now.Can't root for a Division Rival.  Good close game though. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Congrats on the comeback!

31 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Won't lie. A little bummed right now.Can't root for a Division Rival.  Good close game though. 

21 minutes ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Never been a bigger 9ers before tonight (well actually since the last time they embarrassed the packers in the playoffs hehe)

Not gonna lie, had a baaaaaaad feeling about this game once Deebo went out. 

Elsewhere on the net, I compared the Niners to a High Precision Machine.  They're explosive.  They're dynamic.  They have a shit ton of weapons.  But the downside to high precision machinery, as anyone who has had to work in either maintenance or IT can tell you, is if one little thing goes wrong or just one component gets knocked out, it can cause a cascade of errors.

The idiotic defensive pass interference penalties (which had absolutely no excuse whatsoever, BTW) didn't help matters. :rant:

Where was I?  Oh yes.  The offense wasn't quite all on the same page, even before the Deebo injury.  Weather conditions weren't helping matters, either.  Still, what's the phrase?  "Good teams find a way to win." Defense really turned the screws to the Packers in the fourth quarter and caused Love to make some really... Let's call them Classic Packeresque passing decisions (Medium Reward, Very High Risk Passes) that wouldn't have seemed out of place from Brett Favre (or to a lesser degree Aaron Rodgers).

But the Niners D caused that pressure more than Love acting like a young quarterback.  Personally, I think he and the Packers have a very bright future, though we might want to pump the brakes slightly on the Packers Found a Third Straight HoF Worthy QB.  Didn't want to say anything last week, as to not jinx it, but I did recall thinking more than once, "Okay, I love the dude, but a leeeeeeeetle early here to start fitting him for a Gold Jacket."

(that being said, da-yum do I love me some Jayden Reed — and I'm not just saying that coz he nearly singlehandedly won me my fantasy football league this year)

((Okay, it is because of that))

(((But, seriously, watch out for Reed in the future, BOT.   Dude is gonna be Scary Good, IMO)))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

It's not like there is much competition. Every December movie has been holding well except for TCP.

There´s not much competition, but this isn´t a guarantee of good holds, TCP being one example 

I think it´s taking advantage for sure, but it seems at least some portion of the audience really liked it despite the CS, maybe families and women 

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Not gonna lie, had a baaaaaaad feeling about this game once Deebo went out. 

Elsewhere on the net, I compared the Niners to a High Precision Machine.  They're explosive.  They're dynamic.  They have a shit ton of weapons.  But the downside to high precision machinery, as anyone who has had to work in either maintenance or IT can tell you, is if one little thing goes wrong or just one component gets knocked out, it can cause a cascade of errors.

The idiotic defensive pass interference penalties (which had absolutely no excuse whatsoever, BTW) didn't help matters. :rant:

Where was I?  Oh yes.  The offense wasn't quite all on the same page, even before the Deebo injury.  Weather conditions weren't helping matters, either.  Still, what's the phrase?  "Good teams find a way to win." Defense really turned the screws to the Packers in the fourth quarter and caused Love to make some really... Let's call them Classic Packeresque passing decisions (Medium Reward, Very High Risk Passes) that wouldn't have seemed out of place from Brett Favre (or to a lesser degree Aaron Rodgers).

But the Niners D caused that pressure more than Love acting like a young quarterback.  Personally, I think he and the Packers have a very bright future, though we might want to pump the brakes slightly on the Packers Found a Third Straight HoF Worthy QB.  Didn't want to say anything last week, as to not jinx it, but I did recall thinking more than once, "Okay, I love the dude, but a leeeeeeeetle early here to start fitting him for a Gold Jacket."

(that being said, da-yum do I love me some Jayden Reed — and I'm not just saying that coz he nearly singlehandedly won me my fantasy football league this year)

((Okay, it is because of that))

(((But, seriously, watch out for Reed in the future, BOT.   Dude is gonna be Scary Good, IMO)))

As a Packers fan that was brutal.  Purdy was bad and tossed a couple passes that should have been pick 6s. Favre owned the 49ers and Jerry Rice fumbled the ball before the Young to TO play. Im still an old bitter fan, lol.  The 49ers owning the Packers during the Rogers run will always make me hate the 49ers but this 49ers team is hard to hate.  JLove and the Packers werent supposed to be in that spot as 10.5 underdogs....football sucks but at least Im not a Dallas or Vikings fan.